silicon inside stock intercooler??

gnlover2

love my gn
cleaned out my intercooler and looked inside with a mirror and looks like there is silicon between the tube rows? looks like some is coming loose. is it ok to run that way. thanks

cleaned out my intercooler and looked inside with a mirror and looks like there is silicon between the tube rows? looks like some is coming loose. is it ok to run that way. thanks

I believe the tube rows had epoxy used during assembly of the core. That may be what you are seeing. I would doubt that it was coming apart tho.It may only have that appearance. You can always pressure test the IC.

ok, how do you pressure test it. i took a small mirror and looked down the intake tube and looked like some of that epoxy was stringy and hanging away from where it is supposed to be, in between the cores

ok, how do you pressure test it. i took a small mirror and looked down the intake tube and looked like some of that epoxy was stringy and hanging away from where it is supposed to be, in between the cores

I made some couplers with air fittings for my air compressor. Preasurized the system with 40 psi of air. A radiator shop maybe able to test it also.

a mountain bike inner tube cut in 1/2 and some hose clamps should do the trick. Submerge it in a tub of water and watch for bubbles.

A shop vac and epoxy can be used to plug any leaks you find (use the rest of the Mt bike inner tube to make a shop vac to intercooler adapter and a plug for the other intercooler outlet).