should i break the seal?

sykegn

work in progress
Another wiped out cam story:
I wiped a lobe on my stock block. I am in the process of pulling the engine to replace the cam and have a couple of questions. At what point will I see the benefit of porting the heads? I will be replacing the cam with a flat tappet, stock or slightly bigger (206/206 or 208/208). Most likely i will add a PTC converter, and upgraded intercooler (maybe just a Dutt neck) at the same time. I want to have a little room for a little bit larger turbo if i find the scratch!
Will i see that much of a diiff porting the heads? Also does it seem cost effective? I see a lot of guys on this forum that like to spend other people's money, but i am trying to do this on a budget and get the most bang for my buck. My goal is to have an 11 second ride with 95% of the time seeing street duty. No track times because the cam gave up, but i was running 24psi when this tragedy happened. I appreciate all your guys input.

Is this a daily driver? Depending on the miles, you will probably have to replace the valve springs anyway. I would upgrade to a roller cam. Might as well do some home porting if you have the time and have a machine shop do bigger valves. Upgrade to heavy duty rocker arm shafts and ARP bolts. You can always pull the intake off and send to Champion for a port job later down the road. Are you doing anything to the bottom end while the motor is out? If you think you're going to push the car harder down the road you might as well do it now and it will probably save you money and time down the road.

I run a 212-212 with poly mounts and it's pretty smooth. I have driven a 206-206 iron headed car and it was super smooth. At the time it had a TE62 with an .82 exhaust housing and it had instant spool.

At what point will I see the benefit of porting the heads? I will be replacing the cam with a flat tappet, stock or slightly bigger (206/206 or 208/208).
Porting the heads and intake is a good thing at any power level. Champion. Don't do the heads without the intake. You'll have no problems with a flat tappet cam as long as you use oil with zinc and phosphorus. Any oil that uses the word racing in its title should have good levels of each. Brad-Penn and Valvoline racing oils are good choices. Either of these cams is a good choice. If you use a roller you'll love it. Use a roller with equal duration on the intake and exhaust,or greater duration on the intake.

You can run stock rocker arms with roller lifters but I would upgrade to the heavy duty shafts.

So installing a roller does'nt mean rockers are adjustable. The rocker assm. is torqued down as a stocker?

So installing a roller does'nt mean rockers are adjustable. The rocker assm. is torqued down as a stocker?

Correct, the stock rocker shafts will bolt right up. Might consider heavy duty shafts or at least the braces from RJC. The lifters are hydraulic roller type. Can get a much fast ramp on the lobes because the lifters actualy have a little wheel on the bottom. Thats where they get the name roller cam.

I like to spend others money :)

I would port the heads, install a flat tappet 206 206 or a 212 212 with the highest lobe separation you can get(more vacuum)

Port the intake and run good oil to keep the cam from going flat.

Might as well get that convertor and ditch that small turbo in favor of a 6152.

That combo right there will be about 125 more horses over your current setup.

Even the 6152 with stock heads is a brutal street car when the boost is about 27psi.
If the heads have never been off, leave them on, do some lt1 springs and port the intake.
If money is tight, just do the cam and get a 3000 stall, 6152 and 60s... Make sure you eat ramen noodles for a few months to save up :)

BW

You will have to measure for correct push-rod length. The roller lifters are taller and so you'll need shorter push-rods. It's no big deal.

I may do the roller upgrade then. Can I expect a big drop in normal daily/highway MPG?

I may do the roller upgrade then. Can I expect a big drop in normal daily/highway MPG?

I dont think you will loose much MPG if you can keep your foot out of the gas.
Try a 212 range roller, or a 206. Lots of power and not really radical.

BW :)

Do not stick another flat tappet in the engine, unless you need practice rebuilding the engine.

Do it right the first time!
Its funny the original cam held up for 90,000 so i think it was done pretty good the first time. I just feel the money for a roller can be better spent on other items. I see alot of guys just throwing money at these cars and they dont perform much better than (if any better) than guys that have 10-15 year old setups. If I did have an unlimited budget I would be better off starting with a new Z06 and sending this one to the crusher.