servo question

plcguru

Finally finishing this 2004r trans buildup. Using a new Alto red band with a CK Performance servo and trying to adjust clearance.

I have a dial indicator on the servo cover and pressing in on the servo with the J-tool. At the same time I'm checking whether the output shaft still turns with some vise grips.

If I push in on the servo 0.085" it won't turn anymore. Is this ok or must it be tighter/looser?
servo1.jpg
servo3.jpg
servo2.jpg
servo4.jpg

Thanks

The CK Manual states 0.060" will give the proper band adjustment. It also recommends using a band apply pin extension, which is pressed onto the pointed end of the pin, then ground to achieve the 0.060" clearance.

It varies from band to band,servo to servo depending on the combination. I think you will be fine. I have used that extendar and ground all of it off and then had to take some off the actual pin.

If it's too loose you will have a flare,too tight the band will smoke. One of the gurus will chime in shortly.

Ive run Cks servo in lot of cars without getting that technical on the band clearance. I usually do it by feel now. I had one factory pin that was noticeably shorter than most of the others I have pulled, but 95% of the CK servos Ive installed have been with the stock pin with no adjustments and all shift nice and firm on the 1-2 even on a couple of mid to bottom 10 builds...
I think .080 will be fine, i doubt anybody could tell the difference between a .050 and a .100 if all else is the same. It is less harsh on the anchor pin and band though with a little tighter clearance.

The method he is using is not the most accurate method in all instances since the pin has to contact the cover to be able to measure the clearance. Sometimes the pin will not touch the cover if it has been ground down or altered. I always set them by feel and a visual on how much the band will move sideways with a screwdriver with the assembly installed.

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark on the clearance and that I was checking it semi-correctly.

I had heard that if I could put the non-fluted part of a 1/16" drill bit(but not a 1/8" bit) between the holding ring and the servo cover I was ok on clearance. So, according to that it means 0.060" to 0.125" is ok... again assuming that method was correct. I trust the gurus here more than the guy I got that info from though so I thought I'd check if my 0.085" was ok...

My other problem was I didn't know how far to push down on the servo and I wasn't strong enough to push it far enough to lock the output shaft with one hand and turn the output shaft with the other hand :redface: So how do you gurus do it by feel??? (or am I that weak :frown: )

For reference, it's a CQ model that didn't seem to have ever been taken apart. It had a stock servo and a two band servo pin that didn't appear to have been ground down or altered.

Thanks

My other problem was I didn't know how far to push down on the servo and I wasn't strong enough to push it far enough to lock the output shaft with one hand and turn the output shaft with the other hand :redface: So how do you gurus do it by feel??? (or am I that weak :frown: )
Thanks

Use the "J" tool to push the servo in.

Bison,
Would you please explain further what you mean by “I always set them by feel and a visual on how much the band will move sideways with a screwdriver with the assembly installed.”?
I know the band will cause some resistance when the output shaft is turned clockwise, but how much? Is there an acceptable torque reading?
If I look at the band from below it appears to be in contact with the drum before the pin and servo is even installed. How much sideways movement should there be?

I assume the pin should contact the band at the base of the tab since there is what appears to be a small rounded socket area. My concern is that when I look through the hole in the case, which the pin goes through, I see the top of the tab. How do I know if the pin is contacting the tab correctly? Any tricks for this?

Don't mean to hijack.
Thanks.