Lazy shifts after servo install

87gninpa

Decided to install a CK billet servo to help firm up my 1-2 & 2-3 shifts as Ive heard good things. Before the install the 1-2 would shift ok (never hard enough to spin the tires), and 2-3 was ok as well but left a lot to be desired.

Installed the servo with the new return spring that was included. Also need to add extra shims to get the clearance correct (now approximately .060 band clearance)

Now the trans seems to have a delayed 1-2 & 2-3 shift. 1-2 is now softer than before, with 2-3 being a bit harder but delayed. I dont think its flaring (tach doesnt go up between shifts), just delayed.

Fluid level is correct, TV cable is adjusted properly, what can cause this? Ive heard you can miss the band when installing the servo with the trans in the car, but Im assuming it would be much worse if I missed the band lug completely.

Any input appreciated. Think Ill put the stock servo back in to see if it at least goes back to the way it was. Its a shame because it feels like it wants to shift better, theres just a delay.

Remove it and double check everything. If it is the same reinstall stock servo. Let us know what happens.

BTW servo will firm 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift servo is releasing so no change will be felt.

Ill remove it and re-install the stock setup and see if it goes back to the way it was. I already had it out to make sure everything was OK and it all looked good. Should I have used the stock intermediate spring rather than the stiffer one provided? I read it was developed for cars running a larger boost valve, if mine is stock will it cause the problems Im seeing?

So the servo has nothing to do with the 2-3 shift? Why would it have changed then?

The servo is the 2nd gear, 3rd gear it releases and direct clutch comes on. 1st gear is fwd clutch and low sprag. Use springs that the kit provides.

Is your trans stock? Not sure why you would change it unless you misunderstood/informed.

Swapped the stock servo assembly back in this morning and its back to normal, relieved that nothings hurt. Everything was in place when the CK came out, wonder what was causing the issue? The trans was rebuilt by the original owner years ago, has a 10" converter and shift kit. Guess Ill leave well enough alone for now and wait until its time for a rebuild to get the firmer shifts Im looking for. Has a little bump in the shifts and feels good, but I know it can shift firmer.

Change the boost valve, remove valvebody and do 3-2 mod that will firm it even more.

Thanks for the input Steve. I think Ill go ahead and get the CK valve body kit and try that. Just curious as to why the servo didnt do anything on its own? Everything Ive read about them was nothing but praise.

With the smaller Boost valves, Orifices in Plate & weaker Pr. Reg. spring, etc.. there may not be enough Pressure/Flow for the larger Servo to work properly.