serpentine belt tracking issues

turbobob924

I have a wired problem on my GN. The serpentine belt keeps tracking funny and tearing up one end so it becomes skinny. I think there are 6 groves on a standard belt one get striped off due to tracking.

I have replace belt 2 times and same thing keeps happening.

Noting is adjustable here but it seams that the drive pulleys are not lining up or something.

It is hard to believe that the the crank pulley could float that much?

It does make squeaky noise while idling too.

here is a picture

Attachments

• GN belt.JPG
    GN belt.JPG
    618.8 KB · Views: 187
Are all the altermator braces installed and the correct stock pulley used? I also had a ps pump where the pulley was not pressed all the way on that caused an alignment issue

Does it have stock power steering pump and brackets? Prior owner told me that had been a recall. Looks like you are an 87 though, likely resolved by then. Did a belt break and you started replacing or did you replace a working belt with a new belt and this problem started?
Joel

You need to check a few things... See If the reluctor ring is hitting your crankshaft sensor and If it is check crankshaft end play if it is excessive your main crank thrust bearing could be the culprit.

Do u have a strap on it if so check ur alt. Brackets I went through about 5 belts till finally took everything on the front off and had broken the alt.bracket on my first car it would idol straight but under rpm it would twist badddd

i had a water pump pulley come loose and cause the same type issue, also made some noise, check those 4 bolts, good luck

Check the ac compressor long stud I had one break and it allowed the compressor to clock under throttle and I too lost two belts before I going the issue

Usually it's not the belt. Once had a slightly dented water pump pulley caused same issue also crank bolt torque is 217 lbs /ft I believe

PSID6 said:
You need to check a few things... See If the reluctor ring is hitting your crankshaft sensor and If it is check crankshaft end play if it is excessive your main crank thrust bearing could be the culprit.

+1

Take the belt off and check all the way around each pulley. You may have a small rock or piece of debris wedged in the grooves of one of the pulleys. I had this happen before on an old Ferd F-150.

Had repeat belt chirp/wear issues on the LS engine in the 55. Changed 3 belts, relo'd the idler pulley, shimmed the Quik Perf a/c brkt...All to no avail.
Then, found that GM had issues w/ this, and issued a TSB. Seems that they installed p/s pumps w/ the pulley off location.
I measured mine. It was 1/16- 3/32 too far out from the end of the shaft. Pressed it flush...WALA! No more noise.
LOTS of aggravation for 3/32"!:(

Is it possible that your tension pulley bearing needs to be replace?

Would this have happened during a water pump change? This is what an out of the box AAV pump looks like sitting on a NOS GM cover...

44334d1265506375-day-life-earl-im002589.jpg