Steering pump = serpentine belt issues???

imjoesnuffy

I just break stuff!
Well I just got back from Afghanistan. Car has been sitting for a year. I drove it a little bit while home on R & R leave. I did install a set of RJC pullies during that time as well. Well I checked all of the fluids, car fired right up. No issues, no smoke, good to go until I turn the steering wheel. Im getting a loud popping noise from under the hood. I am getting no unusual feedback from the steering wheel and the wheels do turn.

I had my wife turn the wheel while I had my head under the hood. The noise is the serpentine belt jumping on the crank pulley, but it only does it when turning the wheel??? Could it be the belt stretched?? The bolts on the steering pump are tight that attach it to the accessory bracket. Any ideas? It was not doing this before I parked it.

I would imagine that when you put the pullies on that the power steering pump pulley was either not pressed on all the way or possibly to far.. Take a look at it, im thinking its not an issue until the pump pulley puts a load on the belt system then it causes the issues.
,Dan

Anyone know of EVERYTHING to check when it comes to serpentine belt systems? I have RJC pullies, a new water pump, new power steering pump, new alternator, tensioner is in the check window, still chewing up belts on the motor side. I noticed a little bit of play in the bearing on the AC delete pulley but dont want to replace it, unless I can find anything else. Just looking for something I may have missed.

A pulley might be cocked somehow. The a/c delete pulley could also be causeing problems. FWIW mine had a little play and is wasnt chewing up belts. Also make sure all your bolts are tight for the accessories.

Was the power steering pulley installed properly?

With the puller/pusher tool?

I'd check that area first as previously suggested.

Can you take some pics of your belt and pullies?
And thank you for your service.

Well I just got back from Afghanistan. Car has been sitting for a year. I drove it a little bit while home on R & R leave. I did install a set of RJC pullies during that time as well. Well I checked all of the fluids, car fired right up. No issues, no smoke, good to go until I turn the steering wheel. Im getting a loud popping noise from under the hood. I am getting no unusual feedback from the steering wheel and the wheels do turn.

I had my wife turn the wheel while I had my head under the hood. The noise is the serpentine belt jumping on the crank pulley, but it only does it when turning the wheel??? Could it be the belt stretched?? The bolts on the steering pump are tight that attach it to the accessory bracket. Any ideas? It was not doing this before I parked it.

Sorry I can only suggest the power steering pump, but other than that, the real purpose of this post to you is....Thank you for serving our country over there. Thank you very, very much. Great job and I'm very glad you made it back in one piece. You're a good guy...my hat's off to you. Welcome back home, my man. Welcome back home.:smile:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Maybe check the tensioner and see if a shotrer belt will fit. My alternator would squeal at startup when cold. Tensioner was in the window area also, but by seeing how much it traveled in it's arc, I knew I could fit a shorter belt. There was one size difference in belt length, depending on whick manufacturer made the belt. Both were catalogged for the Turbo Regals. I went with the Goodyear Gatorback (shorter), problem solved. HTH.

Thanks for the responses. I think this weekend I am gonna pull everything off the front of the motor and doublecheck everything. The power steering pump was installed at the store with their loaner tool. If I find anything I will post up.

Thanks for the support everyone. I always say that it is my pleasure and believe that wholeheartedly. Just say a prayer for the troops that are still deployed in the global war on terror. I know of at least one Turbo Buick brother who is a member here and is still in harm's way and will be over the holiday's as well.

Take care,
John

I believe the power steering pump needs to be sanded down a bit wit 2000 grit or something like it. Maybe it's to polished and causing the belt to slip when the wheel is turned cause that's when the drag on the pully. Did u replace the belt with the pullys?

Just finished chasing noise and belt damage on the serpentine on my LQ9 engine.
The p/s pulley was 3/32" off the end of the shaft, and the idler was feeding the belt onto the a/c compressor off location.

I pressed the p/s pulley on flush, and added a idler pulley w/ sides on it....Done deal.

Exact alignment appears to be critical.....

A BIG thanks for your service!!:cool: