Series II L67 Grand National??!!??

Been thinking on this more and more recently. Again mainly because I need custom headers and a new intake won't hurt anything for my '64 Riviera. Some questions to answer before I go too much farther down this line of thought.

1. Can you get a cam with a Stage II lobe order but a conventional snout?
2. How do Champion CNC irons compare to heads on this list: FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board - View Single Post - The Heads and Cam Bible.
3. How much flow impact do the head mounted injectors on the L67 heads have and any issues with them running lean at higher rpm's?

Thanks,

Been thinking on this more and more recently. Again mainly because I need custom headers and a new intake won't hurt anything for my '64 Riviera. Some questions to answer before I go too much farther down this line of thought.

2. How do Champion CNC irons compare to heads on this list: FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board - View Single Post - The Heads and Cam Bible.
3. How much flow impact do the head mounted injectors on the L67 heads have and any issues with them running lean at higher rpm's?

Thanks,

This might help with #2 on that list: Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water -- DFW / FLW Flow Files for use with Engine Simulation Software

Thanks,

1. I have no idea what you are asking. If you are referring to Stage II GN cams, I cannot compare anything series II with the exception of displacement.
2. From what I have been told (which isnt gospel) stock series II heads flow better than most ported GN heads. I have only heard of the Intense heads on that list, and they are pretty solid heads in the 3800 community.
3. If you are using the fbody upper/lower intake manifold setup for a series II in a RWD setup, you will have L36 heads, not L67 heads. L36 heads do not have the injector bosses in the heads, as they were located in the LIM.

Not sure this helped you much. I havent kept up with the 3800 for a couple years, so my knowledge is a little rusty.

Car will be back out for some #s this year for sure. Ill finally have some extra time, and money if im luck ;)

1. I have no idea what you are asking. If you are referring to Stage II GN cams, I cannot compare anything series II with the exception of displacement.
2. From what I have been told (which isnt gospel) stock series II heads flow better than most ported GN heads. I have only heard of the Intense heads on that list, and they are pretty solid heads in the 3800 community.
3. If you are using the fbody upper/lower intake manifold setup for a series II in a RWD setup, you will have L36 heads, not L67 heads. L36 heads do not have the injector bosses in the heads, as they were located in the LIM.

Not sure this helped you much. I havent kept up with the 3800 for a couple years, so my knowledge is a little rusty.

Car will be back out for some #s this year for sure. Ill finally have some extra time, and money if im luck ;)
This is a bit convoluted. I'm thinking of swapping the heads off of a Series II/III onto my 1984 4.1L block. The cam lobes on the Series II/III are in the same order as the Stage II classic V6 so I'd need a cam that used the Stage II cam lobe order but with a conventional timing chain because switching to the oddfire nose would be slightly problimatic but not unrecoverable.
For the heads, I have Champion CNC irons but if the L36/67 stockers are on par, I can raid the junkyard and snag a set then sell my Champions for a profit to recoup the costs custom headers and intake. The vacuum block on the stock LC2 intake almost hits my hood and the TB needs an ~10deg downward angle to keep from hitting the hood as well. The headers are customized Postons but don't fit the greatest so I definately need new ones of those.
Intake wise, debating about using the L67 heads to skip having to put the bungs in the runners and using existing fuel rails but don't want to take this convienience over a performance impact. I somehow doubt I'd be able to use an F-body intake but it does share the same cooling hose arrangement so that's a plus for the upper hose. I'm thinking I'd be better off getting a custom one made though making adapter plates is not beyond my ability.

This is the route I'll be going with my TR soon. Since my motor already has a bad rod bearing, I might as well upgrade to a 3800 and never look back. Being able to go real fast while using way less boost sounds good to me!

Someone referred me to this link: lots of great information about the 3.8 all the way up to the series III 3800. A lot of little niceties in the series III; sealing fixes, bigger intake valve, forged rods.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/4142/rebuilding_the_38l_buick_engine.aspx

check out borg warner's crazy new turbos. just what you've been waiting for chody; internally waste-gated twin-scroll, internal bov, ceramic ball bearing turbos :D

‪EFR Turbo Series from BorgWarner Turbo Systems‬‏ - YouTube

Im going to be experimenting with this soon if I can get this dang mustang finished this year...

would this swap work with a 87 la saber 3.8 fwd cause i just happen to mhave a rebuilt one with less than 500 miles on it and was also wondering if a built T350 trans would compliment this combo?

wish i would have found this before i started collecting parts for a 109 build.

can anyone put up os send me a list of parts needed for this conversion?

now off to "parts for sale" to get rid of parts to fund this build. lol

As far as the firechicken, go to the hybred section and you can find one that has a blower adapted to it. You might want to take a look at the 3800 section for ideas as well.

gnbeginer, go and read the whole thread from the begining. I believe he outlines all the parts needed as well as some of the headaches you might have.:)

Thanks Charlie, I re read the whole thing - again. took a nap and then wrote all parts needed. headed out to junkyard on saturday.

You are correct that would have the 60 degree bellhousing. I still want to do this too. So If anyone have some good install pics let me know .Cant hurt

Yep, that's what made me choose the front wheel drive Buick block at the beginning of my build. My plan was originally not to use all the 3800 parts, but a front wheel drive 3.8 block with an 8 bolt flywheel crankshaft from an early 3800, like my 91 Olds Toronado had in it. That would allow me to use the 4th gen Firebird 3800 flywheel for my manual transmission car.

I was then planning to use the LC2 style heads or the front drive versions (like the Turbo Trans AM used) along with a front drive mpfi intake (which I already have.) I was worried that I might not have an adequate cam selection for proper serious turbo power with the later 3800 top end. Those fears have now been assuaged after reading this article. I plan on using a T66 turbo, and I have some old GN headers that I will use as the basis for the plumbing mock up to get it together. I am happy that the 3800 stuff is able to make so much power, and I am also happy because the 3800 dimensions will fit around my A/C box without having to cut it up like you have to do with the LC2 or rear drive heads.

I will probably start with the older 3800 engines because they are easier to find in the wrecking yards and I like the aluminum intakes better than the plastic. I'm not worried about the 4th gen 3800 intake and accessories really, I am just going to do some old school hot rodding techniques to get the accessories to fit right since the 4th gen setup is a rare bird to find unmolested. I live in Florida and the A/C must work since this is my daily driver beater car.

Keep up the good work guys; you are all inspiring me to keep moving forward!