Series II L67 Grand National??!!??

xXch0dyXx

Well, it took some pondering but i decided to remove the old school and step up to the new school 3.8

Last year my bearings in my 85 block took a $hit, after i just put a new tranny, cam, and 87 conversion on. Pissed me off pretty bad and decided i wanted something more reliable, this is what i ended up with...

im sure some of you will hate me, and think it was a bad move... to those i say come take a ride;)

head studs on STOCK l67 shortblock
0502082037.jpg

ported L32 heads with stock valves
0502081838.jpg

Fully built 4l60e with a vig l/u 3k stall
0429082052.jpg

Engine on stand complete, has a very mild stattama ST2 cam
0504081527.jpg

0504081529.jpg

engine uses the Fbody upper/lower intake manifolds

headers and Y pipe in process
0611080027.jpg

first fit
0505081526.jpg

complete except for IC tubing. i havent taken a completed pic yet, i will try to get one today
0625082032.jpg

here are a couple teaser idling vids

I should be going to the track today, but i have no cage, and stock axles that i have a feeling might break

I will try to get vids on my runs, but most of them i am going to let out after the eigth

HUGE THANX TO TRIPLE EDGE PERFORMANCE!!!! They did the work on the car and tranny.

Feel free to post your thoughts, hopefully have the timeslips to sway the nay sayers later today:D

Love it, man!!!!!! Can't wait to hear your results.

I thought you were kidding when you first said you were going to do this. You'll have to give us a detailed breakdown so we can compare how it is performing to a similarly set up LC2.

I don't care what anybody says. I love it when people can think outside the box and still keep it Buick powered!!!!!!!!!

Buick/GM should be making that configuration NOW! (not to mention when the 4th gen fbodies were around.
Is that a RWD engine from a Fbody?
What mounts did you use?
Whats the deal w/ engine management/chip/ecm?

Nice. Id be more worried about the 4L60 than the stock axles.

Awesome work, can you also post your combo, turbo, inj, computer etc...

thanks
Prasad

I know Intense has gotten into the 8s with the 3800 in FWD config. This is very interesting.

Hi Guys, I built the drivetrain/car so if there are questions that Cody cant help you out with just let me know. Being different is what it is all about sometimes! The potential of the S2 3800 is amazing with minor work and the drivability with the newer engine and pcm is vastly different from the original 3.8. Throttle responce is insane in this car and it feels stronger at HALF throttle than the old 3.8 did WOT with the same turbo and identical cam-minus being roller. The heads are such an improvment over the old ones and has a huge impact on this. I first but a S2 3800 in my 86 Cutlass back in 03 and a few years ago finally got my L67 swap in that finished. Here is the link to some pics of that car....

Trannymans Project Site

The 4L60E trans in both cars are built to handle low 10s so until either breaks it isnt a concern yet. The V6 style trans has a smaller input shaft than the LS1 cars but the seem to do very well in the 10-11 second range with a good build. For engine mounts I found that using Oldsmobile V8 mounts are almost a perfect fit to the block and how the engine sits in the frame. I use 1" spacers between the engine side mount and block and it comes out pretty close to where it should be with a little tweaking of hole grinding on the mount. You have to change the frame side mount from the original 3.8 to the Olds style also as they are different.

The mods are as follows.....
-Stock 98 L67 shortblock
-Ported 06 L26 NA heads
-60 lb/hr injectors
-Stattama Stg 2 turbo cam
-Stock 97 F-body 3800 intake manifold and throttle body
-LS1 MAF
-TE60 turbo, 4" inlet 2.5" outlet comp housing
-3" GN downpipe (Cody knows the brand), Modified for this engine arrangement
-Custom built forward swept log style headers. All 14ga stainless tubing 1 5/8" primaries going into 2" tube. Both side Y directly under the turbo flange
-Alky Control Alky injection
-Cartech style front mount intercooler
-Fully built 4L60E trans
-Vigilante 3K stall converter
-Hooker Catback exhaust
-98 F-body 3800 pcm
-Custom built wiring harness
-97 F-body dual electric fans

Thats all I can think of for now but should cover it.

Hi Guys, I built the drivetrain/car so if there are questions that Cody cant help you out with just let me know. Being different is what it is all about sometimes! The potential of the S2 3800 is amazing with minor work and the drivability with the newer engine and pcm is vastly different from the original 3.8. Throttle responce is insane in this car and it feels stronger at HALF throttle than the old 3.8 did WOT with the same turbo and identical cam-minus being roller. The heads are such an improvment over the old ones and has a huge impact on this. I first but a S2 3800 in my 86 Cutlass back in 03 and a few years ago finally got my L67 swap in that finished. Here is the link to some pics of that car....

Trannymans Project Site

The 4L60E trans in both cars are built to handle low 10s so until either breaks it isnt a concern yet. The V6 style trans has a smaller input shaft than the LS1 cars but the seem to do very well in the 10-11 second range with a good build. For engine mounts I found that using Oldsmobile V8 mounts are almost a perfect fit to the block and how the engine sits in the frame. I use 1" spacers between the engine side mount and block and it comes out pretty close to where it should be with a little tweaking of hole grinding on the mount. You have to change the frame side mount from the original 3.8 to the Olds style also as they are different.

-Stock 98 L67 shortblock
-Ported 06 L26 NA heads
-60 lb/hr injectors
-LS1 MAF
-Custom built forward swept log style headers. All 14ga stainless tubing 1 5/8" primaries going into 2" tube. Both side Y directly under the turbo flange
-Fully built 4L60E trans
-Hooker Catback exhaust
-98 F-body 3800 pcm

Thanks Awesome!!!, How much money are we looking at in parts including the harness and PCM?

Prasad

trannyman knows the number better than i do on parts and labor, but ide say it ended up around 6500, but i sold about 3500 in parts out of the car, and still have the engine to sell:biggrin:

The car is unbelievably fast compared to the setup i had in my sig on 26psi, and the boost is only set to 17 psi right now. Leaving for the track shortly, but without a cage we are gonna get booted after the first pass:mad:

I saw this over on regalgs and didn't want to steal your thunder here. Good work guys.

Cody, is that my old turbo on there? I've got it's twin that I had rebuilt and upgraded that I'm about to sell off next. It made the #'s in MY sig, if anyone want's to duplicate or IMROVE on your project, LOL!

My question is, how does that block compare to ours? How well will it handle the HP? Is it as strong? Stronger? Any mods to the mains or a girdle?

Trannymans Project Site

-Stock 98 L67 shortblock
-Ported 06 L26 NA heads
-60 lb/hr injectors
-LS1 MAF
-Fully built 4L60E trans
-Hooker Catback exhaust
-98 F-body 3800 pcm

I would expect mid to low 10's first time out with that combo. The turbo is the limitation. Thats why i mentioned the trans. Any particular reason you went with the 3 bolt setup? Seems like it wouldnt matter since the headers were fab'd for the application anyway. Maybe the turbo would be too far forward with the tangential 4 bolt? This seems like a very promising change over to a lot of guys on here. You should look into mass producing the headers and selling short blocks ready to go. You could do a lot of business. Id offer forged pistons though. Those shortblocks are so plentiful it could turn out to be a really good thing if you decided to do some kits for the guys on here. Id feel much safer running an L67 vs a girdled early rear drive any day. The blocks are so much better. Id guess with some pistons mid 9's in a 3500lb car would be very reliable. In rear drive configuration this could easily surpass the current numbers early engines are putting up. Mid 8's seem very realistic. Anyone try running solid lifters in an L67 yet?

Cody, is that my old turbo on there? I've got it's twin that I had rebuilt and upgraded that I'm about to sell off next. It made the #'s in MY sig, if anyone want's to duplicate or IMROVE on your project, LOL!

My question is, how does that block compare to ours? How well will it handle the HP? Is it as strong? Stronger? Any mods to the mains or a girdle?

yup, sure is that little TE60:biggrin: and i dont feel it is holding back this setup at ALL. Im only running 17-18 psi on the turbo, so its not even working yet.

will have vids and times up from the track shortly:D

Well we did get a chance to make some runs tonight, 3 runs letting off after the 1/8th and 3 full quarter mile runs which the first two were not what should have been but the track went south after a while. PLEASE keep in mind that ALL of these runs were with minimal cool down, ZERO track prep and driven literally straight from the street in full street trim, pump gas, didnt even look at air pressure in the drag radials just pulled her up to make some passes just like on the street true to its form! The best 1/8th mile run we got was a 7.201 @ 96.58 with a 1.65 short time. There is no tach other than the stock digital one which is worthless so stalling up to a certain rpm isnt in the picture yet until we redo the gauges and get a good tach in the car. The first quarter mile run was going to be the last run we made of the night BUT a car in front of me must have left some water on the track and I launched it hard and it just went up in smoke so I had to back out of it and was a bit mad so I just made the run anywas to obtain an 11.8 @ 120ish. The next run I was a bit affraid to launch the car hard so I nursed it off the line with a 1.9 60' and ran an 11.58 @ 121.5. The last run I launched it a little hard but not full throttle as the track was closing and no more runs and I wanted to bring home at least an 11.3 for the night...... I got a 1.755 short time and ran an 11.357 @ 121.40 . The last two runs were hot lapped with zero cool down time. I know if I had the opportunity to launch it harder with the confidence that it wouldnt spin it should have gone in the 11.2-11.1 range but we are VERY pleased with how it did the first time to the track and only running since this past Saturday, so not a great deal of time dialing in the tune. Every run tonight was on the same tune, alky was on but really not needed and more for insurance than anything. Boost is around the 17-18 mark, timing is a steady 18 deg and AFR is mid 11s the whole run. With minimal tuning this car should dip into the 10s no problem. Because of the series 2 3800 piston design I dont want to push the boost too hard because the height from the top of the piston to the top ring land is much shorter than the old 3.8 pistons and dont take much to destroy and we want it to stay together for a while and get some time in the car. When a new engine with forged pistons is ready to go in then we will crank up the boost and see what she can do! Below is a pic of the best 1/8th and 1/4 timeslips and also a vid of the 11.3 run.

85GNslips72308-SM.jpg

85GNQtr72308.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks Awesome!!!, How much money are we looking at in parts including the harness and PCM?

Prasad

What's up, Prasad? It's been a long time...

Anyway Cody and Dave beat me to this swap which was something I've wanted to do for at least 5 years -- but never had the money to buy the GN in the first place. But I'm glad someone I know did it and I'm happy to see the end results.

Kudo's to Cody and Dave for getting this thing done and to the track and putting down some impressive times its first time out. I think the Series 2 3800 could be the next big thing for the GN community -- at least for those wanting to take the technilogical leap in updating their cars. I know it is the FIRST thing I am going to do once I get a GN. I've already done it to my Fiero...

-ryan

Wow! Fantastic job, guys!!! Hitting those times at that boost level, you guys could crack the 10's while staying under 20 psi!!! Hell of a place to "start" this experiment. Congrats, and keep us updated.