Selecting a turbo

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know the ta49 is good for about 500hp. Now after reading your comments I might just stick with the 49 and get a better chip and supporting mods. I like how fast the 49 comes on. Just trying to keep up with my friends 600hp gmc.
If your running the car on the street with that turbo.
You will have to invest in the suspension and get the car setup properly to leave hard.
The 49 must 60ft and 330 really well to go 6 seconds in the 1/8 mile
If been 6.6s in the 1/8 on the 49 turbo ages ago
The car was all in and setup to take the hit and you have to drive your #ss off😎

If your running the car on the street with that turbo.
You will have to invest in the suspension and get the car setup properly to leave hard.
The 49 must 60ft and 330 really well to go 6 seconds in the 1/8 mile
If been 6.6s in the 1/8 on the 49 turbo ages ago
The car was all in and setup to take the hit and you have to drive your #ss off😎
That's like 10.2x in the quarter? And you did this ages ago? What was the resto of the engine combo? How much did the car weight?

That's like 10.2x in the quarter? And you did this ages ago? What was the resto of the engine combo? How much did the car weight?
It went 10.6@125@3800+lbs
Best it would do.
Did it multiple times have had a few of these throughout the years😉
The weight of the car did vary though depending on how fast I wanted to go
But it was never stripped.
Nothing like my nt setups I have today.
I've posted a bit about it throughout the decades.
It was along time ago
Did it on race gas.
Then on pump gas/ alky(had to make my own back then but went to Julio's alkycontrol and never looked back)
With multiple converter setups from 3200 to 3500 stall 9/10.5 non lock and lockups setups.
The 60ft was mid low 1.4s on slicks then later drag radials if my memory is right🤣
Stock 109 with stock camshaft 100lb valve springs
Then later iron ported heads intake and ported stock throttle body.
Stock ecm with custum chips and a very aggressive tune even on both fuels that were used.
Stock headers,maf,4.10 rear gears,and suspension goodies with a good driver that manually shifted😉
It was really a great 1/8 car even though 1/8 wasnt a thing and back in the 90s going 10s and driving to the track was a rare thing.
Not like it is now.
It was deadly on the street
As track numbers were near identical to street numbers.
A 1lb of boost leave at 3200 would net 1.5 60fts.
Everything was done off the footbrake.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know the ta49 is good for about 500hp. Now after reading your comments I might just stick with the 49 and get a better chip and supporting mods. I like how fast the 49 comes on. Just trying to keep up with my friends 600hp gmc.
The 49 is old tech but still a great turbo for a street car. 600hp GMC what, Syclone/typhoon?

It went 10.6@125@3800+lbs
Best it would do.
Did it multiple times have had a few of these throughout the years😉
The weight of the car did vary though depending on how fast I wanted to go
But it was never stripped.
Nothing like my nt setups I have today.
I've posted a bit about it throughout the decades.
It was along time ago
Did it on race gas.
Then on pump gas/ alky(had to make my own back then but went to Julio's alkycontrol and never looked back)
With multiple converter setups from 3200 to 3500 stall 9/10.5 non lock and lockups setups.
The 60ft was mid low 1.4s on slicks then later drag radials if my memory is right🤣
Stock 109 with stock camshaft 100lb valve springs
Then later iron ported heads intake and ported stock throttle body.
Stock ecm with custum chips and a very aggressive tune even on both fuels that were used.
Stock headers,maf,4.10 rear gears,and suspension goodies with a good driver that manually shifted😉
It was really a great 1/8 car even though 1/8 wasnt a thing and back in the 90s going 10s and driving to the track was a rare thing.
Not like it is now.
It was deadly on the street
As track numbers were near identical to street numbers.
A 1lb of boost leave at 3200 would net 1.5 60fts.
Everything was done off the footbrake.
That's what I'm talking about! Brutal street car, grudge ready!! High stall hard launcher!!

With a small turbo and stock low compression motor with some porting and no cam range
You have to have maximize things
It's so much easier Nowadays.
bigger turbos that spool so much faster,better converters and power management and tire technology has changed the overall street speed approach.
It's a great time to have turbo cars

The gmc is a 2014 truck with a 5.3. It has a cam, headers, supercharger, a built trans, and other things I'm forgetting. The previous owner of the truck is another friend that works for Lingenfelter.

The newest 6262 HPT spools like stock with 2 year warranty.
I can attest to that. Out of the box my HPT spools darn near as quick as a supercharger, and I haven't even begun fiddling with low gear fueling or any other chip adjustments for that matter. The 2 year warranty is icing on the cake.

I can attest to that. Out of the box my HPT spools darn near as quick as a supercharger, and I haven't even begun fiddling with low gear fueling or any other chip adjustments for that matter. The 2 year warranty is icing on the cake.
According to your great build in your sig what made you decide to go on the smaller side of the turbo spectrum

I would highly recommend that people look at backpressure and have a thought of how much of their turbos they will be using powerwise.
Like an injector you want a cushion
And with the new turbos out now that's easy to achieve with the right turbo.

I would highly recommend that people look at backpressure and have a thought of how much of their turbos they will be using powerwise.
Like an injector you want a cushion
And with the new turbos out now that's easy to achieve with the right turbo.
Back pressure lower and faster spool is a win! We definitely are providing new technology for the Buick community. Thanks to everyone for the overwhelming support!

According to your great build in your sig what made you decide to go on the smaller side of the turbo spectrum
Great question. I have a long winded story on that but I’ll spare everyone the boring details. Long story short, a change in goals and limited turbo selection (at the time) within the HPT line, is why I ended up with a HPT 6262. If the 6264 was available when I was turbo shopping I probably would have gone that route, just because. As it is, the 6262 fits with what I’m doing with the car right now, which is strictly just street cruising. As I get older, I no longer have the desire or need to go any faster than the 6262 is capable of.

Understanding
Compressor Blade angle,blade thickness and shaft thickness
The type of ball bearing setup
being used
The turbine blade angle,thickness and the amount of blades.
All of which are game changers in the power world
Then there is the chassis/frame the turbo is In concert with the ex housing properly sized makes for a turbo setup that lowers backpressure and can actually increase spoolup/torque.

Understanding
Compressor Blade angle,blade thickness and shaft thickness
The type of ball bearing setup
being used
The turbine blade angle,thickness and the amount of blades.
All of which are game changers in the power world
Then there is the chassis/frame the turbo is In concert with the ex housing properly sized makes for a turbo setup that lowers backpressure and can actually increase spoolup/torque.
There is a difference between a great footbrake setup with power at your foots command vs a transbrake setup that requires time/seconds to build boost at the light before achieving and acceptable power level to leave at.

The newest 6262 HPT spools like stock with 2 year warranty.
Stay tuned , HPT will soon release the largest stainless 3bolt turbo for 2024!
Is the new updated turbine housing available now? Is it the lightweight SS?