safe boost?

terbo

I have a 87 t-type with these mods, what boost should I be able to run safely?

ta-49 turbo
blue top injectors
3" down pipe, no cat
2.5 dual exhaust
307 pump
jay carter chip 92 oct.

I'm the proud new owner of this car,
but don't have alot of info yet, Ive read the threads and searched
but I just wanted your input(s) thanks for your help!

terbo:confused:

prolly 16 lbs, give or take a pound. All depends on what fuel yah run. You should have a scan tool

If you don't have a scanmaster, get yourself one. Then you can see what kind of knock retard you get. You really don't want any. You can't set performance by just turning the boost up......you have to know what your limits are with your particular car. SCANMASTER! ;)

with race fuel and good tuning-24 lbs would be my max.that would make apx. 440 hp.with the proper injectors- (50 - 57 s would be much better.)

thanks for the input guy's. If I want to step up the boost , then what would be the next step, as far as injectors,chip? how much boost can I expect to run with the ta-49?

do you have any knock? Is this on 93 octane? what chip are you using? just curious!

that is with allky and 90 octane and a 23 degree timing chip.with my thrasher 92 and just pump gas i can run 15#

Go to the alky forum and check out the DIY alky kit. Installed you can run 24#s of boost with 93 pump gas with no knock.

I assume that 307 is hot wired?With 45 lbs fuel pressure(line off) and 25 lbs boost you should have 70 lbs of fuel pressure at wot.That is about all the pressure the pump will take before it starts losing pumping power regardless of the injector size.The other issue is knock retard from detonation,that is determined by how much octane and timing you run.You need a scan tool for sure if you run over 15 lbs boost and beat the hell out of thing like most of us do.Jim:D

I do have the 307 hotwired and a fuel pressure regulator,what is
the alky kit, can't seem to find any info, without reading bits and pieces. Is there a direct site for this? very interesting! more info please!

Thinking about installing an alky kit on your TR without spending a lot of money? One of our members, Steve Monroe, has a site that gives easy, complete, instructions on "how to" make up and install what is commonly referred to as the DIY (Do It Yourself) alchohol injection system. I put mine together over three years ago. While you have to get parts from different sources, it takes no more time to install than any other kit. Cost me about $150 then, and I think I can duplicate it today for $175. The DIY kit employs the use of the $60 Shurflo pump #2687. More pump than you'll ever need. If you have any problems locating any of the parts, or need some specific information on installation, just post here on the alky forum for answers. Additionally to the instructions on the website below, I have installed a warning light next to my boost gauge to let me know the pump is spraying and an activation or test button so I can activate the system manually. Spend more if you want, but it's not necessary. In case you've read some posts here, and you thought installing or using alky was complicated, it's not at all. Here's Steve Monroe's website....

http://home.att.net/~stevemon/AlcoholInjMod.html

Talk about reliability, I have more than 75,000 miles on my car since I installed the DIY kit, and can truthfully say, it has never failed to come on. Never had a pump failure. I have no knock in high gear at 24 psi running a TE44 turbo. DIY alcohol injection not only gives you more power, cheaply, but protects your engine from destructive detonation, which could destroy your motor. I NEVER had any problem tuning it. Just figure your turn-on point, usually between 10 and 15#s of boost, set it and forget it. There is no pump speed to set. Pump is preset to 60 psi and I use a .032 jet and a one gallon reservoir. End of story! However, if you like to experiment, the pump pressure is adjustable to over 100 psi. I've read many posts about alky being hard to tune, I really don't know what they're talking about. They must not have a Steve Monroe DIY kit. This DIY kit can put your STOCK TR into the 12s. Get busy!

Here's a post by RAZOR that you should read if you're thinking about installing alcohol injection............

"Listen, an alcohol injection system is basically a pump, nozzle and tank. The simpler it is kept the easier it is. If you have the ability to install a car radio..you can do this.

No matter what route you take..they all lead to the same river..pump,nozzle, and tank. The debates are how to control the pumps. Both the prefab kits like the SMC, DIY, and stuff I do are all going in the same direction. They all require wiring, drilling, mounting stuff. The experience and technical assistance available on this board cannot be surpassed by any other web site.

If you do your reading and spend some time visiting sites and articles..you will get a grasp on line 1

The complications happen when you break into the 11's for power.. Thats when the power is really being made and requirements are higher.

Decide what you would like the car to do..then make a game plan how your going to take care of that issue..thats what this forum is for. To give different views on the same thing. I too had your feelings initially when I did mine 2 years ago..so i understand.

There are pro's and cons to every way you decide to go about doing this..they usually revolve around $$$ and convenience

And just added..you can do this with your scanmaster..as your end result of 02's will vary with fueling. Your looking for zero knock and a happy motor. Direct scan/turbolink are needed for extended diagnostics. like making chips.."

thanks red regal t, this is awesome! I never heard of the alky kit before, I think I just gave myself a winter project!