running hot???

sick GN

So... driving around these last couple days the 86 seems to be getting a bit warm... 205 actually... 160 thermostat... I do have the extreme front mount intercooler... it has been warm here... 90+... but the weird thing is that when I'm stopped the temp actually drops a few degrees... then when I start driving again it starts gaining the degrees back... any ideas?

Yes stock fan and radiator... have the dual fan setup on order tho... should be here in a few days...

Running warm at speed normally means the radiator is not up to par since at speed airflow isnt a issue. I would drain it to just enough for the water pump to pump, leave cap off, run to temp (or remove tstat to speed test) and once tstat opens then look and your flow through the flues in the core. Bet you they are clogged up and not flowing like they should

Just run a 87 Buick regal 307 radiator with a/c and heavy duty cooling and has the same core as the 91 f body pull each at a parts store and look at the cores and youll see
Both will have NO engine oil cooler and a trans cooler with the fittings facing the engine.
Since the f body lower hose isnt in the exact spot and fits but hose isnt not quite right.

You will have to bend up the trans lines, or just run an external cooler by itself. It'll knock some weight off the nose of the car and help offset the weight of the intercooler.

Not exactly like stock but will be close. The stock one connects to tubing that wraps around to the front of the tank. The ones mentioned will be on the engine side like the engine oil cooler

If you can swing it, do it just once and get the ALRADCO rad and fans. Or at least the rad. Will make a big difference and all the coolers hook ip like stock.

I looked up the radiators online... they aren't much... like 110... which is better... the fbody one or the Buick regal v8 one?? The regal one looks allot closer to the stock one...

You can try flushing the cooling system. If it's the original radiator, it's probably done though.

I got stuck in stop and go traffic last week when it was plenty hot: Alradco radiator, TA water pump, 180 stat (and no A/C :eek:) , and the temp would not go more than a few degrees over 180. Stock fan and intercooler. Plus a water cooled turbo dumping more heat into the system.

Have you blocked off/boxed in the area below the intercooler where the stock scoop would sit (between the front air dams)? Its very important that all air that enters the grill must exit through the radiator especially with a front mount. If the space between the air dams is open air will deflect off the front mount and out through the big opening before it hits the radiator.

How do you block it off? The area between the front mount and the radiator? Like make a box between them?

strips of foam work well. When doing it just keep this in the back of your mind... any air that can go around the heat exchanger WON'T go through it. And since fluids like the past of least resistance, it's easier to go around.

Earlbrown is right on the money... ill take some pics tomorrow during the day so you can see what I mean. Basically if not closed off the air will hit your front mount and go down and out between the air dams instead of going through your radiator. Since your car cools ok sitting still (when the fans are pulling air through) but runs hot at speed id bet this is whats happening. Its an easy fix that a lot of people overlook. I used floor mat rubber material for mine.