ROUND 2 My "ER" Visit! I am down but not out!

Had that happen in college. Drove myself to the student health center (in the TR no less). They said let's get a specimen and see if there's blood. I gave them tomato soup and they kind of believed me.

I, too, have had a couple kidney stone incidents. About ten years ago I had to go to a local hospital about four in the morning to get a finger stitched that I had ripped up at work. While the RN was tending to my finger she asked if I had ever been there before and I told her that I had, a couple of years earlier for a kidney stone, and she said- " I would whether give birth to 3 more kids than ever have another kidney stone again!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I too have heard that they are not as painful for women as men, so that is quite a statement coming from a women. Get well..........I'm sure that you have heard that cranberry juice is suppost to help and prevent kidney stones.

I just dumped my pepsi down the drain, water sounds good now. Shane sorry to hear that, hope you feel better.

That's some scary chit there Shane. Sry to hear bud. I hear them kidney stones can be like midevil torture:mad:. Prayer sent. Not exactly sure where it was sent to but sent:).

Yikes I am in PAIN reading this thread.. Hope you get better soon.

You did the right thing in leaving rather than wait for Dr Obama to come back from his vacation. ;)

Man that sucks they put you in line like that but it's a sign of the times. I've had to run my wife to the ER more than a few times for stones. She say's it's worse than child birth. When she gets a lower back ache I warm up the car. The first one she had Morpine wouldn't touch the pain so they gave her Tordenol or something like that. Dr. said it was not as strong and Morphine but works well with kidney stones. When she started to feel better on that he figured it must be stones after tests they found a bunch.

Yikes I am in PAIN reading this thread.. Hope you get better soon.
LOL Me too! Get well Shane sorry to hear about the crummy hospital waiting, Been there, done that.

They made me sit there with a 108* tempature shivering like Crazy while coughing teenagers went in before me. Turned out to be a Major staff infection after a recent surgery on my ankle so I ended up in the hospital for 3 days before they found a antibiotic that worked! It was VERY SCARY there for a minute as there was talk hovering around about it not looking good. :eek:

Sorry to ramble, GET WELL!

SW.

Verry sorry to hear about this Shane! My dad gets kidney stones and the last one he had was so big and took him so long to pass that he had the catheter attached to him for a few days before it finally passed.:eek: From what I've read some people are just real unlucky in that there bodies just tend to produce these stones, but it does have to do with your diet as well as what you drink. The doctor told my dad to try to avoid drinking too much milk (calcium deposits) and to avoid citrus fruits/drinks as well as citrus that is found in sodas as well because of the citric acid which causes deposits. Eating too much red meat can also increase your chances for getting stones. Purified water is best to drink, avoid the normal tap and also avoid the mineral spring water because that is just as bad as the tap.

As far as the ER visit that is very disturbing and just plain wrong!:mad: I'm surprised because as Billy T. said down here when you come in via ambulance you go right into the ER no questions asked. I should know I've been there enough. Usually if you come in off the street rather than the ambulance the rule of thumb is the charge nurse in the ER is supposed to take patients in based on the severity of their condition. I would have done the samething and left, but the hospital's administration would also be hearing from me!

This too shall pass....:biggrin:

Man that sucks. Get well Shane.

You my brother are F'ed up!! Thats why I like you.

Shane, I hope all goes well with you. Hope to see you at the Nationals
Bryan

Thanks everyone! Still not passed it yet! Drinking gatorade buy the gallon trying to pass it. Tried the beer yesterday afternoon, didn't help so I will keep on with the gatorade and try some cranberry juice today.

Everything mentioned here that might cause it I eat or drink so I guess I am doomed:frown:

don't worry too much about what to drink/not to drink. Depending on what website or which doctor you speak to you will get conflicting results.

If you had a stone that was oxalate in nature you can try a low-oxalate diet.

the key is to keep hydrated. I had 7 last year and both doctors told me the same thing - lemonade. It has citric acid which dissolves calcium-oxalate stones which is my type, and the most common.

It took me about 3 weeks to finally pee out one that I was able to catch in the strainer cup thingy. I turned it in and they did the analysis to find out what type.

What is a lot of fun is when they are too large to pass and they go up through the pee slit with tubes and lasers...ahh....good times...

Everything mentioned here that might cause it I eat or drink so I guess I am doomed:frown:

I hear ya, it definitely sucks! Hell, fish and chicken can also supposedly cause them because of the uric acid. Watching your salt intake is recommended as well. It's a very similar condition to people that develop gout. I have a friend that has gout that has been told by the doctors that he will basically need to become a Vegan to prevent the gout. As was posted by Renthorin, if you can get it in the strainer cup, they can find out what type it is and suggest what to avoid, etc.

In the meantime, I hope it passes for you and you feel better.

Get better soon Shane!

I know how you feel as I have had them twice so far. One thing I did was save the extra hydrocodone pills that I didn't use for a later bout that I know will soon come.:frown: I kick myself as my urologist gave me a script for more but at that point it had passed and I kick myself for not filling that one to keep on hand with the others......never can have enough pain meds!:D

The only downside to doing that is I believe the hospital will wait to give you morphine if you tell them you already taken something like hydrocodone.:(

You want action in the ER?

Punch yourself in the nose before you walk in. Pouring blood gets results.

Then just casually mention you have kidney stones and feel like you are about to give birth to Ty.

Hope you are doing better today!