Rookie question????

78TurboMali

My Kirban order just arrived and i want to use my casper tool to set my cam sensor. It says to set my timing mark at 25 degrees after TDC, how do i do this? Whats the easiest and correct way to do this? Sorry for the Rookie question! Thanks in advance for any help!

someone in the aftermarket should make up a timing pointer for this.. these cars have been out for almost 3 decades..

25 degrees after TDC is approx. 1.5" based on the daimeter of the stock balancer. I believe the actual dimension is 1.45" but 1.5" is close enough. Get a piece of masking tape and make a mark at 1.5", line one end up with the TDC mark on the balancer and then turn it clockwise viewed looking at the engine until you reach the mark and you'll be at 25 degrees after TDC. Keep in mind you want to make sure you're on the compression stroke not the exhaust stroke.

Neal

Wait a few minutes and I'll post a picture of what Neal is explaining.

OK, here's how it will look after you make the timing mark 1.45-1.5" after the original factory mark. The new mark is placed under the 0 pointer (ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE).
Then use your timing tool as described.
This in on my numbers matching motor that I'm putting back together.

OH, and good luck getting this done if you still have a stock location intercooler in place. :eek:

100_0952.JPG

someone in the aftermarket should make up a timing pointer for this.. these cars have been out for almost 3 decades..

ATR did exactly what you describe. It's still in place on my 86's motor. Sadly they no longer exist.