Rocker arms

Joe Harrison

What rocker arms is a good up grade on stock heads I can only find 1 company that makes them td I think it is

There's also Harland Sharp. If your heads are stock that's a long of coin for an 'upgrade' that really isn't an upgrade though.

What rocker arms is a good up grade on stock heads I can only find 1 company that makes them td I think it is

What is your combo now, and what are you aiming for? Upgrading rocker arms in stock heads most likely won't give you much gain. There is other better places to spend the cash. Again, what is your combo now?

Not sure on everything . bought it two months ago it burns 1qt of oil every 1000 miles so I took the heads off to check everything. Ta49 turbo,front mount intercooler, red tip inj , Houston down pipe, headers ( not sure of brand ) , daul exhaust . What I'm adding. Rjc boost controller and intake plate , test tube, 100lb valve spring . Any info would be great . Don't have a scanmaster plain on buying one when down with motor. I'm a tech at a gm dealer so I know cars but this cars arent the same as most cars. Did find that the wrong intake gasket was on it had no belly pan so pcv was sucking oil out of lifter gallery

Not sure on everything . bought it two months ago it burns 1qt of oil every 1000 miles so I took the heads off to check everything. Ta49 turbo,front mount intercooler, red tip inj , Houston down pipe, headers ( not sure of brand ) , daul exhaust . What I'm adding. Rjc boost controller and intake plate , test tube, 100lb valve spring . Any info would be great . Don't have a scanmaster plain on buying one when down with motor. I'm a tech at a gm dealer so I know cars but this cars arent the same as most cars. Did find that the wrong intake gasket was on it had no belly pan so pcv was sucking oil out of lifter gallery

How many miles are on the motor and car ?

I went with Harland Sharpe 1.65 roller rockers when I found a really good deal on a set a few years ago...but my factory heads are not even close to "stock" as they've been heavily ported, have bigger valves installed and the H/S rockers required me to not only grind the pedestals but I also had to get the exhaust valve guides cut down and install new seals. They compliment my comp cams 212/206 roller cam nicely. You will also have to get either taller valve covers OR get valve cover spacers. I did the latter. I wouldn't waste the time on a stock engine as its not worth the minimal gain you'd get considering the other cheaper mods you could do which would be MUCH more productive.
But they sure are PRETTY if only they could be seen!!!!!

I went with Harland Sharpe 1.65 roller rockers when I found a really good deal on a set a few years ago...but my factory heads are not even close to "stock" as they've been heavily ported, have bigger valves installed and the H/S rockers required me to not only grind the pedestals but I also had to get the exhaust valve guides cut down and install new seals. They compliment my comp cams 212/206 roller cam nicely. You will also have to get either taller valve covers OR get valve cover spacers. I did the latter. I wouldn't waste the time on a stock engine as its not worth the minimal gain you'd get considering the other cheaper mods you could do which would be MUCH more productive.
But they sure are PRETTY if only they could be seen!!!!!
I would like to be low 12s and be able to drive it to work everyday over the summer what would you spend the money on

I'd say you need to stop right where you are and figure out whats wrong with what you have. The mods you listed in your post should have you in the 11's. IMHO a front mount intercooler is a bit overkill for a TA49 (I'm no Buick tuner but I do pay attention to what others have done). You need to start from your first sentence......burns oil. Whats causing it? Turbo blow-by (worn turbo bearings), worn rings, valve guides and seals? Have you done a compression test? You can do all the mods in the world and buy every gee-whiz bang part in a catalog but if you have low compression from cracked/leaking rings you're still going to be slow and have detonation problems. What headers are on it? Until it runs low 11's or high 10's you should still be using stock headers or maybe Postons. Why do you want an RJC boost controller? You gotta fix what you got now or you're throwing money down a bottomless pit. GET A SCANTOOL or find someone who has one you can use.

Did a leak down test all good wrong intake gaskets pcv sucking oil from lifter gallery thanks for all your input I can use as much info as I can get

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1383431614902.jpg
    1383431614902.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 164
Not sure on everything . bought it two months ago it burns 1qt of oil every 1000 miles so I took the heads off to check everything.

You sure it is "burning" the oil and not just disgorging it from the varied orrifices of the famed Buick 231 Turbocharged V-6?
If it is really burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles - it has quite the nasty habit.

If according to your cyl leak test - it ain't the rings - then it is only a few other places.
You sure that turbo isn't leaking oil?
Did the car smoke?
I'm guessing yes - at a quart per 1000 miles.
Plugs?

I was told 133k on body an 20k on engine and trans after taking heads off I believe 20k on motor

Plenty of people go plenty fast with even stock 8445 heads and factory arms.
Springs ok - I get that.

A 20K engine shouldn't be slurping oil at such a rate - unless......

Springs ok - I get that.

If I remember correctly GM would do nothing unless it was using a quart in less than 750miles. If he had a PCV with oil slinging into it 1000 miles a quart isn't too bad.

Springs ok - I get that.

If I remember correctly GM would do nothing unless it was using a quart in less than 750miles. If he had a PCV with oil slinging into it 1000 miles a quart isn't too bad.