RJC Mega Coil packs....Yes or No?

Looks neat. I will throw this out there. If the setup includes two coil packs and two ignition modules you can get an idea of what this might cost. I can't tell exactly what is there. It "appears" to be two of each. :confused: But then again the pack on the left looks like it might have a dummy module under it.

I believe that the stock ignition module doesn't have enough guts to drive 2 coilpacks. My guess is that it needs two coilpacks +modules.

Bob

I remember checking out this setup on Jason's car in Phoenix. If I remember right he also has two (2) MSD DIS 4 boxes.

So the concept is by eliminating the wasted spark on a cylinder that has no charge this will reduce the voltage requirements and therefore not actually generate horsepower but free up horsepower???

Just trying to get the general gist of how it works?

Since the coil only has to fire one plug instead of two the spark will be hotter thus minimizing any misfiring cylinders.

Hmm, not sure if that is good for horsepower gain. Further more I think the voltage used to fire the plug is so small due to the little resistance of a cylinder not under compression and with no A/f mixture.

It would definitely be interesting to put a car with one of these coil packs on an oscilliscope and see what the firing section looks like. The firing line might drop a minimum amount due to previous statement, but I think it would be minimal. Hard to say without actually doing it though.

Two problems with waste spark. One, there is a voltage drop across the "off" plug, even though it's not as high as the drop across the plug that's near TDC on compression. The other problem is that one of the plugs in each pair fires "backward", from side electrode to center electrode. Back when cars ran distributors, and either a single coil or dual coil, you could make a mistake and ground the wrong side of the coil, so that ALL plugs fired backwards. It was a sure way to get a miss at high rpm. Plugs just don't work as well firing backwards. If the ignition is working well,and not causing some misfire at high rpm/high boost, then a change in ignition won't pick up any power. But RJC was using his on a car that ran in the 10s, I think, so maybe he was past the limits of the stock ignition.

It's a good choice for those who don't want to go to a distributor. It does require 2 dis boxes so it isn't cheap. If you launch off a trans brake with a 2 step then it's a good idea to get rid of waste spark, otherwise I wouldn't swap.

Hopefully some dyno results and track results, same day same car one with CCCI stock system (working properly), one with MEGA COIL PACK setup, no other changes.

Two problems with waste spark. One, there is a voltage drop across the "off" plug, even though it's not as high as the drop across the plug that's near TDC on compression. The other problem is that one of the plugs in each pair fires "backward", from side electrode to center electrode. Back when cars ran distributors, and either a single coil or dual coil, you could make a mistake and ground the wrong side of the coil, so that ALL plugs fired backwards. It was a sure way to get a miss at high rpm. Plugs just don't work as well firing backwards. If the ignition is working well,and not causing some misfire at high rpm/high boost, then a change in ignition won't pick up any power. But RJC was using his on a car that ran in the 10s, I think, so maybe he was past the limits of the stock ignition.

Others have ran quite faster than low 10's with the CCCI system so to say the limit is the 10's, 9's, 8's, 7's is up to discussion, but I think others miss out on why their system is not operating properly and are quick to blame the system itself.

Others have ran quite faster than low 10's with the CCCI system
I've seen top fuel dragsters run in the high 4s with one cylinder out. But that doesn't mean the they wouldn't have run faster/quicker on all eight. As mentioned above, a "back to back" test would prove things for some-

I've seen top fuel dragsters run in the high 4s with one cylinder out. But that doesn't mean the they wouldn't have run faster/quicker on all eight. As mentioned above, a "back to back" test would prove things for some-

It sounds like you have some conclusive data to back the one cylinder out on the top fuel dragster, but lets get some conclusive data that on a working CCCI system that one cylinder is out, or others issues of the sort. All I see is scratching of heads and parts flying when a pop or miss happens and guys throwing the book at it.

I can tell you this.

One a 9.20 car, changing from the stock ignition to a distributor resulted in a 4 tenth drop. This was over 10 years ago when no one was running distributors and everyone thought we were nuts. Harry Hruska told me at the Midwest Buick Challenge that "the stock ignition system is capable of going 7s, I dont see the need for changing." Funny how almost every car now has a distributor.

Anyone know what this will cost? The reason I ask is that a new coil is going to run you like $200-$250. I assume Jason supplies this so you are already into it for say $550. Then there are two modules. What are these (I don’t know for sure), maybe another $150 each? Again, I assume Jason supplies this as well with the kit. Now you are into it for at least $800. Then add on top of it whatever gizmo Jason sells to connect them and a harness and you are probably looking at over $1000 for the setup.

If someone is wanting to keep the DIS setup I don’t know why anyone would spend $1000 on it. You can put a high output MSD DIS-4 PLUS HO with Buick module on the car for under $600 for the ignition and the Buick interface and harness through Summit. With the MSD you also get the two-step feature and rev limiter. The MSD unit is going to put out a more powerful spark that lasts for more rotation. If you don’t want the HO version but just the standard DIS-4 Plus (non HO) for the street, you can save about $50.

I think the new piece is neat but I don’t see why someone would put it on their car when there is a better option that is cheaper. Running two coils is not going to look any more stock than having an MSD ignition on your car.

If it’s true that you also need two DIS’s then I think you would be insane to run this setup. At $560 each for a DIS you’re nuts. You would also need the interface so in addition to the cost of the stock coils and modules ($800?) you also need two DIS-4’s to the tune of $1150. Plus whatever Jason sells you to make it all work. Who’s willing to spend over $2000 on their DIS ignition system?

What I’d really like to see back to back is this setup against a stock setup as well as a single coil with MSD DIS-4 setup. I bet you will not see any benefit of the Mega vs. the single MSD DIS-4. If I had $2000 to spend on my ignition I would absolutely go with a distributor.

On his web site he knocks the distributor as being 30-year old technology. I think it’s been proven many times that the 30-year old technology works pretty damn well.

Art.

Anyone know what this will cost? The reason I ask is that a new coil is going to run you like $200-$250. I assume Jason supplies this so you are already into it for say $550. Then there are two modules. What are these (I don’t know for sure), maybe another $150 each? Again, I assume Jason supplies this as well with the kit. Now you are into it for at least $800. Then add on top of it whatever gizmo Jason sells to connect them and a harness and you are probably looking at over $1000 for the setup.

If someone is wanting to keep the DIS setup I don’t know why anyone would spend $1000 on it. You can put a high output MSD DIS-4 PLUS HO with Buick module on the car for under $600 for the ignition and the Buick interface and harness through Summit. With the MSD you also get the two-step feature and rev limiter. The MSD unit is going to put out a more powerful spark that lasts for more rotation. If you don’t want the HO version but just the standard DIS-4 Plus (non HO) for the street, you can save about $50.

I think the new piece is neat but I don’t see why someone would put it on their car when there is a better option that is cheaper. Running two coils is not going to look any more stock than having an MSD ignition on your car.

If it’s true that you also need two DIS’s then I think you would be insane to run this setup. At $560 each for a DIS you’re nuts. You would also need the interface so in addition to the cost of the stock coils and modules ($800?) you also need two DIS-4’s to the tune of $1150. Plus whatever Jason sells you to make it all work. Who’s willing to spend over $2000 on their DIS ignition system?

What I’d really like to see back to back is this setup against a stock setup as well as a single coil with MSD DIS-4 setup. I bet you will not see any benefit of the Mega vs. the single MSD DIS-4. If I had $2000 to spend on my ignition I would absolutely go with a distributor.

On his web site he knocks the distributor as being 30-year old technology. I think it’s been proven many times that the 30-year old technology works pretty damn well.

Art.

Art you make some good valid points.. there is no telling how much its going to be... I already have a new dis4 ho box.. and Have used Msd on every car I have ever owned and loved it.... I wonder how much its going to be?:confused:

Art you make some good valid points.. there is no telling how much its going to be... I already have a new dis4 ho box.. and Have used Msd on every car I have ever owned and loved it.... I wonder how much its going to be?:confused:

Hey Warren,

I think complete it's going to be like $2000. Maybe $400 less if you use your existing coil and module. I really don't see the gains. Like to know more about the car that they gained 40hp on and if the existing stock system was working properly.

Didn't Tweaked I use a stock coil pack?

Art.

Hey Warren,

I think complete it's going to be like $2000. Maybe $400 less if you use your existing coil and module. I really don't see the gains. Like to know more about the car that they gained 40hp on and if the existing stock system was working properly.

Didn't Tweaked I use a stock coil pack?

Art.

Art,
I do believe it did.... I would like to see the car or better yet be there at the dyno.. (Mustang dyno, not Dynojet) and see 40hp gain.

Warren