RJC Mega Coil packs....Yes or No?

The stock modules/coils still have the potential to go bad with heat and misfire. Ive tested many modules 1 in 3 will misfire, even new ones. ALso you still have to worry about the cam sensor breaking. It is a good idea but a distributor is cheaper and more reliable over time. Except for the cost of changing the cap and rotor once in a while.

Art,
I do believe it did.... I would like to see the car or better yet be there at the dyno.. (Mustang dyno, not Dynojet) and see 40hp gain.

Warren
I'd be just as happy seeing the results at the track, same car, same day with the stock coil and module working correctly. No other changes.

Art.

The stock modules/coils still have the potential to go bad with heat and misfire. Ive tested many modules 1 in 3 will misfire, even new ones. ALso you still have to worry about the cam sensor breaking. It is a good idea but a distributor is cheaper and more reliable over time. Except for the cost of changing the cap and rotor once in a while.
No argument there.

Valid arguments Art. I would like to know more about the car that picked up 4 MPH, was it a low 10 second car, or something faster and was the ignition system not up to task when the changeover comparison was made?

I know Bamfords twin turbo car (now Fajitas) runs the DIS setup and has ran 8.31 @ 166 @ 3450# with the stock DIS, no DIS-4.

Valid arguments Art. I would like to know more about the car that picked up 4 MPH, was it a low 10 second car, or something faster and was the ignition system not up to task when the changeover comparison was made?

I know Bamfords twin turbo car (now Fajitas) runs the DIS setup and has ran 8.31 @ 166 @ 3450# with the stock DIS, no DIS-4.

I agree, lots of people running in the 8's with the stock setup. Is the mega better than the stock DIS, probably? My only real question is the cost vs. benefit. I would imagine an MSD DIS-4 would probably give you similar results to the Mega at a fraction of the cost.

Art.

Right now we have to use two Dis4s to fire the coilpacks. this works great but is a little expensive as mentioned earlier. price would probably be in the $1600 range for this setup because of the $1000 in MSD stuff.

We are testing the reliability of our modules now that allow you to fire the coil packs without the MSD. this should make the system affordable. ($600-$700)
here are some facts.
#1 It does use two stock coil packs but not stock modules.
#2 It is plug and play so you can switch from the dual to the stock single coil pack so you could borrow one from your friend to test it at the track easily. Just undo the module plug and plug in the dual coils.
#3 it does give you easily 40 HP on low 10 second cars. Is this going to give similar results on more stock cars? We have not tested it but i imagine percentage wise it will be the same.
Why does eliminating the waste spark give you this increase? Anyone who has tried it knows it is worth HP but why that is hard to pinpoint.

We concluded that when the wasted plug is fired it is during valve overlap (the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time) and the spark partially ignites the intake charge lessening the effectiveness of that charge.

By looking inside the intake manifold you will notice a sooty film. This is apparent even in cars that have the EGR blocked off. When you go to a distributor or any other form of non waste spark ignition the intake remains clean.

If anyone has a better explanation or different view please feel free to mention it.

I can tell you this.

One a 9.20 car, changing from the stock ignition to a distributor resulted in a 4 tenth drop. This was over 10 years ago when no one was running distributors and everyone thought we were nuts. Harry Hruska told me at the Midwest Buick Challenge that "the stock ignition system is capable of going 7s, I dont see the need for changing." Funny how almost every car now has a distributor.

Dan @ DLS was running a distributor on Pete Bartons car years ago, I don't think you were the only guys running them.

Who's car picked up 4 tenths 10 years ago to run 8.80's with a distributor swap???

We concluded that when the wasted plug is fired it is during valve overlap (the intake and exhaust valve are open at the same time) and the spark partially ignites the intake charge lessening the effectiveness of that charge.

By looking inside the intake manifold you will notice a sooty film. This is apparent even in cars that have the EGR blocked off. When you go to a distributor or any other form of non waste spark ignition the intake remains clean.

If anyone has a better explanation or different view please feel free to mention it.

How did you conclude the ignition charge ignited?

The sooty film is from valve overlap.

I have to give Dave Bamford alot of credit here. I would not have even looked into it if it was not for his darn distributor...lol

Also, Jay Carter mentioned to me the benifits of it long ago but i was like many of you and felt that it might pick up a really fast car but not do anything for mine. After looking into it boy was i wrong.

Jason I noticed you state you have not tested the MEGA COIL SETUP without the DIS-4's yet, so power gains at this point are speculative.

BTW didn't you remove the MEGA COIL SETUP from your car at BG and still put down a respectable number without it?

Jason I noticed you state you have not tested the MEGA COIL SETUP without the DIS-4's yet, so power gains at this point are speculative.

true, we only tested stock with dis-4 to dual dis4 at BG. That is why this product is still under developement and not being sold. We know in the buick world you have to test it every which way anyone can think of before it's release. This delays the release but ensures everyones question are answered before purchase.

the power gains do not come from the dis4 or the mega coilpack they come from eliminating the waste spark.

BTW didn't you remove the MEGA COIL SETUP from your car at BG and still put down a respectable number without it?

No one has ever mentioned that my car has put down a respectable number before. thanks.
The difference in BG between the two were 2 more MPH at 2 less lbs of boost with the dual.

I have to give Dave Bamford alot of credit here. I would not have even looked into it if it was not for his darn distributor...lol

Also, Jay Carter mentioned to me the benifits of it long ago but i was like many of you and felt that it might pick up a really fast car but not do anything for mine. After looking into it boy was i wrong.

Here's a question for you Jason. I'm certainly not an ignition expert here so pardon if this makes no sense. If you're not using the stock module and I assume the reason you are using two coil packs is so you can fire only the compression spark and let the waste terminal do nothing, is there a way to use the type II coil pack with it's 6 individual coils and somehow get the same results? I think the Type II can have the coils individually replaced so I assumed could be wired in such a way with your setup so that they are only fired for the compression spark and have a dead wire for the waste, maybe a resistor or something.

Again, I have no idea if this makes sense at all or if it's even possible.

Art.

"Anyone know what this will cost? The reason I ask is that a new coil is going to run you like $200-$250."

Where are you buying your coil packs? You can get them new for $55. Someone is selling them on the board actually.

That's What I Heard Too

"Anyone know what this will cost? The reason I ask is that a new coil is going to run you like $200-$250."

Where are you buying your coil packs? You can get them new for $55. Someone is selling them on the board actually.

yes, and I've heard he's a nice guy too.....:rolleyes:

Maybe I have the coil and module prices mixed up? One of them I think is like $200.

Art.

Here's a question for you Jason. I'm certainly not an ignition expert here so pardon if this makes no sense. If you're not using the stock module and I assume the reason you are using two coil packs is so you can fire only the compression spark and let the waste terminal do nothing, is there a way to use the type II coil pack with it's 6 individual coils and somehow get the same results? I think the Type II can have the coils individually replaced so I assumed could be wired in such a way with your setup so that they are only fired for the compression spark and have a dead wire for the waste, maybe a resistor or something.

Again, I have no idea if this makes sense at all or if it's even possible.

Art.

Art, the Type II still has 3 coils, not 6, just like our Type I setup.

What about some kind of coil over spark system like the LSx engines have? I don't perticularly like the look but that would do the same right?

Right now we have to use two Dis4s to fire the coilpacks. this works great but is a little expensive as mentioned earlier. price would probably be in the $1600 range for this setup because of the $1000 in MSD stuff.

We are testing the reliability of our modules now that allow you to fire the coil packs without the MSD. this should make the system affordable. ($600-$700)
here are some facts.
#1 It does use two stock coil packs but not stock modules.
#2 It is plug and play so you can switch from the dual to the stock single coil pack so you could borrow one from your friend to test it at the track easily. Just undo the module plug and plug in the dual coils.
#3 it does give you easily 40 HP on low 10 second cars. Is this going to give similar results on more stock cars? We have not tested it but i imagine percentage wise it will be the same.
Why does eliminating the waste spark give you this increase? Anyone who has tried it knows it is worth HP but why that is hard to pinpoint.

Yikes!! :eek: $1600 ?????