RJC Boost Controller

RJC controller

What I did was to use CO2 and a good regulator to set mine and I can see the amount it bleeds climb as I close it up until about 22 or 23 lbs. From that point the spring of the actuator will increase the boost by shortening the rod.

Dave, I'll definately try that...will I have to shorten the actuator rod just as much as I normally would without the boost control valve? If so it seems to eliminate some of the benefit that Jace says we get with this valve..reducing spring pressure/increasing travel on the w/g actuator.

Jace...is this what you as the manufacturer reccommend also?
Just curious about your comments on this method of getting over 23 psi.

Thanks for the replies Dave, I'll post my results.

Joed;)

The problem with shortening the actuator rod is that that also limits the swing of the controller valve. When the little disc doesn't move far enough off the seat, then you can get "creep" because there isn't enough flow bypassing the turbo to control the boost properly. RJ pointed out that you shouldn't NEED to shorten the actuator rod until you get past 22 or 23 pounds. At that point maybe a heavy duty actuator is needed?

Just curious, With this controller, do you still use your stock wastegate solenoid behind the controller or cap the hose off at the solenoid. Im thinking of trying the RJC valve. Thanks for any Input. Bob.

as I mentioned in my earlier post ( that was a little misunderstood), ultimate boost control still resides with the wastegate actuator above a certain boost level........I usually run in excess of 25 lbs and use the controller for spool up and still set my boost with the wastegate (HD actuator on 70 GTQ)

it may be possible to "adjust" the spring in the controller to obtain higher boost without tightening the wastegate.......I tend to think the valve won't control the kind of boost levels used in TSM

Im still trying to find out on RJC controller If It Is a stand alone valve, or If It Is to be used with the stock solenoid? Do you just run a hose from turbo to acuator, with RJC valve In the middle? Thanks, Bob.

RJC controller

Bobs rare 6

You eliminate the stock solenoid with this type of controller. The hose goes directly from the W/G actuator port to the turbo pressure port with only the controller in between. Check out Jace's site for some pics and description...also if you search for DC boost controller(same basic function as the RJC with spring and ball)...he had some good, descriptive posts a while back answering your question.

http://www.rjcracing.com/

Best, joed
;)

Originally posted by azgn
as I mentioned in my earlier post ( that was a little misunderstood), ultimate boost control still resides with the wastegate actuator above a certain boost level........I usually run in excess of 25 lbs and use the controller for spool up and still set my boost with the wastegate (HD actuator on 70 GTQ)

it may be possible to "adjust" the spring in the controller to obtain higher boost without tightening the wastegate.......I tend to think the valve won't control the kind of boost levels used in TSM

this is true but let me explain why. Let's say you have the controller so at 30 lbs of boost with the waste gate rod set at the specified 1/8" pull out to hook it on the pin. with this amount of preload on the puck at 25lbs of boost the back pressure in the headers pushes against the waste gate puck hard enough to start to open it even though there is no boost pressure in the diaphram. to remidy this at those higher boost levels we just put more preload on the wastegate rod (shorten the rod) only do this after you have tightened the controller as far as it will go.

Since when does any car in TSM run more than 24lbs of boost? I have never heard of such a thing. ;)

plumbing this controller is simple you run a line from the compressor side of the turbo, through the controller and then direct to the waste gate actuator. it does not use the factory waste gate solinoid. just disconect the vacuum lines going to the solinoid and leave the electrical plug connected.

This controller works good with ATR external or any diaphram operated wastegates. it is the same principal in all cases

Just got back from using RJC boost controler. Borrowed buddies. Cant get boost down below 24#. Even with valve turned all the way out, and wastegate rod out to about 1/16 tension. Can turn down to 19 or 20# boost with stock solenoid system. Other than a little quicker spool from a roll I didnt notice a huge difference. I need to be able to turn my boost down more than that. If I ever get a good cat-back exh. system I probably would not be able to get under 25 or 26# boost. I guess the stock wastegate system works pretty good for me.

boost controller

:confused: Bobs rare 6
something wrong there. With the w/g rod at 1/16" tension, the puck should start to open on it's own way below 24 psi (Like Jace stated above, and I had happen on my car). Make sure valve isn't binding, boost gage is accurate and your wastegate puck is moving freely. I don't want to suggest the obvious but is the valve installed with the correct end toward the compressor? Is it screwed all the way out so there are just a couple of threads engaged and minimum compression on the spring? Take it apart and look inside to make sure all is well there.

Good luck!

Yes, The valve was like 1 turn from unscrewed. My puck Is not binding. I can run 19 or 20# with same setting on stock solenoid. I turned my wastegate rod out 3.5 turns from 23# boost w/stock sol. to 24# w/RJC. Thanks for replies. Bob.

with our controller if you want less boost, simply cut a coil off of the end of the spring. this is what we have to do when we run them on the little SRT4s. On the SRT4 we actually set them at 8# so we have quick spool up and the computer still has control of maximum boost pressure.

i am currently using a "grainger" valve with wastegate soleniod in place. i am also using an ANS soleniod controller. i set the grainger valve for 10-15psi, set actuator rod to open with chip control at 21-23psi, then use the ANS controller to go up or down from there. i get the quick spool-up, computer control of boost in differentgears, and the ability to turn boost up or down from inside the car according to tune/conditions.

hey everyone, just tried one of RJC's boost contollers out. i have an ATR extenal gate that i was fighting a very slow spool problem and all i can say is HOLY S***. i set the atr spring 4 turns in from zero and the boost contoller at about half way . the car spooled to 20 psi like instantly. the car has never spooled this fast. and this is with hooker headers and a pt70 and a 224 cam. the car felt like a N/A car as far as how the power came on. well worth the money. now it is time to go the track and launch this pig!!!!! thanks, jeremy