Revving too high. Need to lower shift points.

theCATman

Is that a Monte Carlo?
I've got an EA Stage 2 trans that's shifting too late at WOT. It's going to 56-5700. I can feel the engine lay over, so it's getting out of the power range for sure. Stock heads, 206 cam, ta49 @ 21 psi.

I first thought I was driving thru the converter ( Rev Max 9.5" 2600 LU) but I get a good 8-900 rpm drop on the shifts, so I don't think that's the case. Am I correct?

So, add weight to governor via spot weld or what??

I have also verified TV cable is set perfect.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Or if it's not already done add a set screw to the small weight to pin the spring in.

I believe it's pinned already. I had governor off to put proper speedo gears on.

For stock heads you're better off with engine rpm below 5000. Preferably in the low 4000's with the small turbine. If you had a 62 or larger turbine it would be ok to 5300-5400 if you had enough spring. Sounds like you need a different governor and possibly a tightened converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For stock heads you're better off with engine rpm below 5000. Preferably in the low 4000's with the small turbine. If you had a 62 or larger turbine it would be ok to 5300-5400 if you had enough spring. Sounds like you need a different governor and possibly a tightened converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So... are you saying not enough RPM drop on the shifts too when you say low 4000's?

The TV limit spring may be modified or shimmed up. If it is, change it back to stock. You'll have to check it or ask Lonnie.

The TV limit spring may be modified or shimmed up. If it is, change it back to stock. You'll have to check it or ask Lonnie.

I have my stock trans yet. You think this would be easier than adding weight to the governor? Or would the VB have to come off to swap springs?

I have my stock trans yet. You think this would be easier than adding weight to the governor? Or would the VB have to come off to swap springs?

The spring is retained with a roll pin that normally comes out from the top side of the VB. but you can drill from the bottom side of the roll pin bore so you can pull it out from the bottom. (Did this to mine). Gotta know exactly what your doing though...

Ugh, yea no thanks. I'm very mechanically inclined, but not drilling from bottom.

If I had extra VB gaskets, I'd just drop it, but I dont.

I do have extra governor gaskets from when I had it off to put correct speedo gears on though.

Plus this would only be worthwhile if the valve has been modified and you want to change it back to stock to lower the shift points

I'd be all for swapping springs if the VB didn't have to come off & I had extra gaskets.

So... are you saying not enough RPM drop on the shifts too when you say low 4000's?

No. I'm saying that with the small turbine the car will be quicker if the rpm is in the range I mentioned. Numerical based on gearing it may be impossible to get it into the range I mentioned with a shift point that high.

No. I'm saying that with the small turbine the car will be quicker if the rpm is in the range I mentioned. Numerical based on gearing it may be impossible to get it into the range I mentioned with a shift point that high.
Wow that low. Ok.

See if you can find an Governor out of a V8 you can modify the light weight to be a couple grams heavier than the BRF and dial in the shift points. I have 3 different weights for mine and dropped the pan a half a dozen times until I had it where I wanted it.
With the TV limit spring if it's been modded there is usually quite a difference in rpm between the 1-2 and the 3-4 shift 300 rpm or more.

Well, here's the update.

I pulled the governor, weighed it, & between some spot welds & replacing the aluminum rivet with a stainless steel one pinning the spring, I added 4.5 grams.

It shifts at 4750 like clockwork, still dropping 7-800 on the gear change. Still a bit more than Bison ( thanks for the info BTW) noted for best power range, however the engine is not laying over at all. Keeps pulling strong.

Thanks everyone who chimed in.[emoji106]

Well, here's the update.

I pulled the governor, weighed it, & between some spot welds & replacing the aluminum rivet with a stainless steel one pinning the spring, I added 4.5 grams.

It shifts at 4750 like clockwork, still dropping 7-800 on the gear change. Still a bit more than Bison ( thanks for the info BTW) noted for best power range, however the engine is not laying over at all. Keeps pulling strong.

Thanks everyone who chimed in.[emoji106]

Now if you throw more boost at it it will be flashing into the correct range.