Replacing Radio - Snowball effect

You can just take a razor blade and cut the high spots off you may heat it a little to make it cut easier. But I wouldn't heat it up and try to flatten it out

Man, I had some relatively primitave but very loud stereos back in the day, but now I'm 53 and I say 'What?' alot.

Eh, what was that you say, sonny? :)

A couple decades of shooting with no ear protection in the 70s and 80s whacked some of my hearing. Good reason for a decent stereo system. :) :)

Looking good Dean, as soon as this weather breaks, I plan on doing my radio, along with a new carpet and the hurst olds lightning rods. I know i will have the snowball effect going on also

I haven't seen a radio or any other audio gear whatsoever.:eek: Wasn't this post about a radio?:p

You need to put everything back asap... If not, the longer it's all apart the more time you have to "find" other issues... Ask me how I know.:rolleyes::cool:

IT IS GOING BACK! Making progress daily... well, every other day anyhow. :)

Picked up some seam sealer today and will finish getting the seams in shape tomorrow, if the day goes as planned. Then the sound matting. Then start the wiring.

Just for you. Audio gear:

k1svp3.jpg

Pod fit:
2a5yh36.jpg

Sanded door pod (more to do):
2djyo1l.jpg

Cool! Please keep me updated on it:cool:

Here's the finished product:

10o0bvs.jpg

Parts I used:

Installation tips:

• Get in the trunk and close the lid so you can scribe a line on the hinge at the sheet metal boxing where the hinge swings into to indicate the clearance line to mount the offset bracket. It would be advisable to have someone OUTSIDE the trunk with your keys to let you out! Just in case that person is a known prankster, bring a straight slot screwdriver to operate the truck latch mechanism manually. A cell phone might not be a bad idea either. :)
  • Mount the offset bracket ~1/4" back from that line you scribed so that there is no way the bracket can hit the sheet metal when the lid is closed.
  • Once the steel plate is securely mounted (you will need to shim with washers some of the bolt locations between the bracing and 3/16" steel) you can then snap the strut onto the hinge mounted bracket, and the snap the lower bracket onto the strut, to see exactly where on the steel plate the lower bracket will go.
  • There are brackets attached to the hinges (pics below) that engage with the original torque rods that must be dealt with (or at least, mine hung up on the sheet metal - dunno if they are all like this). I was going to try to remove them, but then chose to leave them just in case the torque rods would be reinstalled "some day". What I did was drill a hole ~1/2" back from the torque rod notch, installed a bolt (had to drill the bolt hole over-sized so I could get the bolt in from an angle), and then slipped a piece of nylon tubing over the bolt so it wouldn't be metal rubbing on paint/metal.

Bracket with lid nearly closed:
21j7wir.jpg

Bracket hanging up in sheet metal boxing with lid open:
1177g8y.jpg

Bracket hanging up in sheet metal boxing with lid open, different perspective:
2hoxul0.jpg

The Fix:
23w0dwo.jpg

2i06tev.jpg

Excellent write up Dean! I really appreciate it, it'll give me something to do when I get the GN out of storage &/or when I get home:D

The snowball effect. Happens all to often.

It started simple enough. The 20 year old radio and speakers needed replacing. OK, so I have the radio out, now what?

Wow, usually not necessary to remove the entire interior to replace a radio but love your enthusiasm. BTW, if you change the antenna on the fender it is NOT necessary to pull the engine and transmission! :D

L O L!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin: Well put!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Eh, what was that you say, sonny? :)

A couple decades of shooting with no ear protection in the 70s and 80s whacked some of my hearing. Good reason for a decent stereo system. :) :)

Try playing in a high powered rock and roll band as lead guitarist for 20 some years and you'll have a good reason.

Problem with me is I got the German Measles at age 7 so it destroyed my ears way back then. Only went downhill from there. But, still got to have high powered speakers and rock and roll. The louder the better. Don't worry about saying "what"....just worry about the neighbors complaining about loudness. Don't want the cops coming out.

Dean, just excellent work. Real nice. Very nice. Hard work equals top quality. Nice job!!!! How does it sound?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Excellent write up Dean! I really appreciate it, it'll give me something to do when I get the GN out of storage &/or when I get home:D

Any questions or if you need any pics, send me a note. This of course goes for anyone. :)

How does it sound?

I don't know how it sounds yet - still not done, and lots to do, but I think I now have everything I need to finish, or at least it is on its way. After reading up on the 16V supply lines out of the HU, I realized I had to order interconnect cables to reach from the HU to the balanced line adapter which will be next to the amp. My projects take a LONG time due to other life commitments. I have some parts that sat on a shelf for so long they are now dang near useless due to technological advances. :) I'm hoping to make some headway this w/e as the family is out of town, but my basement is so far requiring constant attention due to flooding from this relentless rain. I have shop-vac'd over 1000 gallons out so far!

Any questions or if you need any pics, send me a note. This of course goes for anyone. :)

I don't know how it sounds yet - still not done, and lots to do, but I think I now have everything I need to finish, or at least it is on its way. After reading up on the 16V supply lines out of the HU, I realized I had to order interconnect cables to reach from the HU to the balanced line adapter which will be next to the amp. My projects take a LONG time due to other life commitments. I have some parts that sat on a shelf for so long they are now dang near useless due to technological advances. :) I'm hoping to make some headway this w/e as the family is out of town, but my basement is so far requiring constant attention due to flooding from this relentless rain. I have shop-vac'd over 1000 gallons out so far!

Dean, do I identify with you.....our basement floods also when it rains hard, and I have to do the shop vac thing also. I know it's a bitch.

And I have things in my refrigerator for so long, that I found a milk carton way, way in the back today that had a picture of the Lindberg baby on it that said "Have you seen me?"

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yup, these cars like the "Midas" touch. "Well, since I already have the seats out I midas well take care of this little rust spot. Well, if I am going to paint this spot with Por 15, I midas well...:D

... I found a milk carton way, way in the back today that had a picture of the Lindberg baby on it that said "Have you seen me?"
Hehe... yeah. Lotsa time can pass you by. :)

Progress photos!

Interior sound deadening done throughout with Second Skin Audio Damplifier. Edge to edge, roof, doors (2 layers), and interior sides, with extra layer (or was it 2) on the wheels wells in the cabin. I'm trying to insulate the interior from road noise.

t6yq0w.jpg

In the trunk I somewhat filled in the stamped depressions before covering with a layer of Damplifier. I ran out before I could finish the wheels wells on the trunk side and the rear quarter skins, though on the rear quarters I did put on my last two sheets, one sheet each side, and just that made quite a difference. Gotta order more on Monday.:

2n8yo49.jpg

k9eslz.jpg

Factory carpet kit temporarily back in until I get more Damplifier, with Amp set in place, though the location not set... still trying to figure out where and how to mount it so the adjustment screws can be easily accessed. I also have the front comp crossovers to mount, and a sub box to make. Thinkin'... :

n5t0gk.jpg

Started running wires, and thankfully the wire troughs under the sill plates are relatively sizable. The passenger side trough got filled with the interconnect cables and front speaker wires. I'll rout the power down the driver side. The trunk struts work SWEET!!

Dean

I would think spark plug removal should be a little easier now. And don't forget the Midas touch. On a side note, does anybody think a trunk kit could be made out of chicken wire, plaster of paris, glue for the carpet and of course carpet?