Replacement Muffler - Stock Location

DarkForce

I've called several places and can't find anyone who sells a free flow stock replacement muffler. Does anyone know if these even exist.

i believe the flowmaster exhaust for the GNs is a stock type muffler although i hear they arent the best flowing pieces for our cars but if you are keeping it stock i wouldnt worry about it.

Don't know if you'd consider it a free flow muffler, but Dynomax sells a stock replacement super turbo muffler, P/N 17725. Just looked on Summit's webpage and it goes for $91.69. It's P/N WLK-17725 on their website.

Summit Racing

Mike

Thanks for the replys. The car is fairly quick but I've had it choke and caugh several times under boost from what I believe to be excessive back pressure from an old muffler that is braking up, kinda like everything else on the car. I need a muffler with great flow and noise is not an issue.

do you have a scantool of any sort? your choking or caughing sounds like it could be a MAF problem also. it just happened to my friends car recently.

Turbo Buicks, I use directscan and turbolink. MAF is fine. Just need a good stock location muffler and the problem should go away. I've seen similar problems when the cat would break up or become plugged.

On another note, now the car is making a klunk or small knock when stopped and then making a turn. Probably spider gears or wheel bearings (both universal joints already replaced). The engine, transmission, and driveshaft were all bad, why not the rearend too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a adding a couple of containers of GM limited slip additive to your rear end. Usually that stops all chattering/clunking. Runs about $6 for a container at the dealer.

My TR was making a klunk in a turn a while back. I finally traced it to the front suspension. My downpipe had put enough heat to the pass side aft upper control arm bushing to totally burn the rubber bushing out.

Going to get a muffler on order this week and see what happens. Wish they made a good free flow stock location muffler. Next weekend I'm going to pop open the rear end and have a look. Did not have time today, did some engine and body work. The clunk my son and I heard in it the other day was due to a hard part problem (loud & sent several hard vibrations through the car), I doubt the posi additive will have any effect.

Like most all the bushings on this car, I already replaced the upper control arm bushings (w/GW) because they were rotted out.

Thanks for the comments guys.

ATR makes the kind of muffler you're looking for. Or did at one time, I'm sure they still do.

TurboDave, called ATR last week and from what they said, it would take some modifications to make their muffler work. Apparently they use 2.5" tubing vs the stock size (2.25"). It may be worth the trouble, that's why I was going to give them one last call today. Thanks.

Originally posted by DarkForce
TurboDave, called ATR last week and from what they said, it would take some modifications to make their muffler work. Apparently they use 2.5" tubing vs the stock size (2.25"). It may be worth the trouble, that's why I was going to give them one last call today. Thanks.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? If you are good luck! You will probally going to have to hacksaw it off. Get the ATR and take it to the muffler shop.

I didn't know ATR make a 2.5" stock location replacement muffler. Tell me more. I thought all they had for the stock location was the 3" one in-two out muffler. Is it a good free flowing muffler? Anyone have details?

Yes I know I can call ATR, but I'd rather hear it from someone who wasn't trying to make a sale.

Thanks
Mike

I've called several places and can't find anyone who sells a free flow stock replacement muffler. Does anyone know if these even exist.

Have you tried Summit or Jegs? that were i got the hooker system from, and i think they had some muffler choices in there, but not sure what size.

Talked to ATR again today and still no luck. I heard Hooker has a good cat back setup for only $287 so I may call Summit and see what they have and forget looking stock. I've put a number of the ATR systems on and they all fit really good but I've also heard the Hooker systems fit well and are quiet until you get on it.

Talked to ATR again today and still no luck. I heard Hooker has a good cat back setup for only $287 so I may call Summit and see what they have and forget looking stock. I've put a number of the ATR systems on and they all fit really good but I've also heard the Hooker systems fit well and are quiet until you get on it.

Im not sure why you didnt consider that in the first place DarkForce. I got the the same Hooker system with the straight thru flowing Aero Chamber muffs that came with the system. It is a 2.5 in exhaust. And the muffs sound really good. I paid 279 or 289$ i cant remember. You cant beat the price for the performance. Mandrel Bent (no kinks or tweaked bends) real smooth all the way back while exiting in the stock location.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks - always used the ATRs and liked them. Talked to Summit and Hooker and it looks like the Hooker setup is the way to go for the price. The Hooker exhaust system sold by Summit uses the Super Competition Turbo mufflers which I don't think are straight thru but are close to it. The Summit price is $279.95 vs ATR at $495 or $595, excluding S&H. So much for the stock appearance.

Hard to teach an old dog new tricks - always used the ATRs and liked them. Talked to Summit and Hooker and it looks like the Hooker setup is the way to go for the price. The Hooker exhaust system sold by Summit uses the Super Competition Turbo mufflers which I don't think are straight thru but are close to it. The Summit price is $279.95 vs ATR at $495 or $595, excluding S&H. So much for the stock appearance.

Hey DarkForce you may want to confirm the super comp muffs as they told me the same thing when i ordered mine and told them i wanted the aero chambers because i have a friend out here Scott Atkinson he won the stock block placement at the buick event in Vegas about a month or so ago when i was there. He runs the same setup i have w/aero chambers and he ran 10.80s all day long with these. They may have changed them though and switched the muffs they ship w/ the exhaust. When i ordered my Hooker system they shipped w/Aero chambers and they sound real nice got a slight throaty sound to them :D and then when you open the throttle it sound real nice. I just dont remember if i got mine from Summit or Jegs.