Replace GN gauge instrument cluster with Actual gauges?

Hello, i’m in the process of bringing my new 2 me 87 gn up to snuff with hotwire, afpr, 255 pump, scanmaster. I would like to add boost gauge and oil pressure gauge and a good tach to the car but was curious if i should just go route of swapping original cluster to round gauges ( autometer vdo ect). Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hello, i’m in the process of bringing my new 2 me 87 gn up to snuff with hotwire, afpr, 255 pump, scanmaster. I would like to add boost gauge and oil pressure gauge and a good tach to the car but was curious if i should just go route of swapping original cluster to round gauges ( autometer vdo ect). Any input is greatly appreciated.
that is totally up to you. you are the one that is going to pay for it. depends on the look you want, my gn had a 3 gauge a pillar and 2 in the center console under the radio now i am putting a GNX dash with stewart warner gauges because i am doing a GNX clone, not cheap!!!! if you want gauges i would get ahold of scot at GNS Performance on here he has some nice set ups ready to bolt in.

If money isn’t an issue, look into an aftermarket GNX dash available from vendors on this board. It’s not cheap, but has the gauges in eyes view. Many of us, including myself have gauge pods under the radio and on the a-piller.

Christmas is coming, Scott usually has a few sales going. You can pick your own gauges, colors,numbers ect. The dashes cool product, work and look great. I also understand he has simplified the install a little.

Christmas is coming, Scott usually has a few sales going. You can pick your own gauges, colors,numbers ect. The dashes cool product, work and look great. I also understand he has simplified the install a little.
Thats exactly what im looking for. I like the idea of choosing the colors, and style of gauge.

Yes it does look like it’ll be spendy, thanks for the replies and links. Otto J

After piecing that dash together from components to build on your own, you'll be at nearly 80% of that price, plus you still have to cut up the dash harness to integrate it all. LOTS of time. And your dash will be hacked up and you won't be able to go back to stock later if the mood struck you.

Scott's dashes are the fix. They're plug and play.

The dash is a bit pricey, but like turbo 6 says by the time you get all of the dash together you will spend as much or maybe more depending on what you buy. These dashes come with gps speedometer,tach,water, boost,volts,fuel turn signals,and oil pressure plus all the parts and directions for install. Plus you will never get better support from anyone. Scott will always answer the phone or get back to asap, plus he is a funny dude. Install is a about a 6 out of ten. Also if you want its completely reversible if you want to go back to stock. Now you,can use your consol pod for something else or eliminate it all together. I put tranny temp and knock gauge in mine. Got rid of the piller one all together.

I looked at Scotts ( GNS ) dash first hand at the GS nationals and it is VERY nice . He can build it with the gauge layout you want with many gauge options . He uses Speed Hut gauges and it is pretty much plug & play . I'm going to get his dash to free up space for more gauges , Give him a call .

I used one of Scotts first setups and no issues. The ones he does now are badass!
18660768506_9d4c06106f_o.jpg

If you build your own setup you need to figure a way to maintain your lockup converter. With Scots dash you are able to keep your VSS sensor for lockup.

I did my own gauge setup . I reused the stock headlight switch and dimmer . I figure it was a hell of a lot cheaper to grab a sheet of aluminum and punch the proper size holes in it and configure it how I wanted it . I think it came out alright . With the money I saved from doing my own gauges I bought a single board computer and installed it in my car to run my power logger and record data .
60D4D505-0645-4A16-93D8-86255F2EE729.jpeg
81A1EAF0-F921-46C9-A5A6-3B5A5D1B529C.jpeg
018E01EF-081E-4A02-B0D6-EDB68C4CFA33.jpeg
277D247B-5E4D-47ED-8C23-2CD6DDAEC6E3.jpeg

As far as the VSS goes you can get one of these that you can splice in to your Ecm and also be able to run a electric speedometer . It will converter any speed signal to what ever you want . You can have muiltable outputs aswell so if your takes a different signal then the gauge it will handle it .
5A1D8719-2679-4450-BFEC-73CFFF2BFC4C.jpeg