Reliable 12 second build

12 sec. passes should be very easy. ScanMaster, boost, fuel pressure and knock gauge are a must to keep tabs on what's going on under the hood. Stock injectors are nearing 25 yrs and should be replaced. here's a list:

42.5# or 60# injectors and matching chip
New fuel pump and hot wire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
cold air intake and K&N filter
New exhaust like Hooker's
Some sticky drag radials or slicks

I think the main problem is as the cars start getting modified they also require more attention. There is no free lunch on a nodded car. If you want dead reliable and are limited on attention.. Don't mod the car. The truth is there is reason racing engines don't come with a warranty. That being said, success with a high boost V6 motor only comes from being careful and being on top of things. These kits have been available since the 90's from different mfg's. Someone blows a head gasket with a 10 year old kit... All of a sudden it's the kits fault. The lack of maintenance did it in.

To make power you need octane. Whether from race gas or an alky kit. Both have their ups and downs. I have a mid 9 sec car that has now over 280 passes hundreds of street miles... Everytime I need to run the car hard.. Do the checks.. oil, fuel, alcohol, tires, etc.. Check pressure on the 3 just posted and work from there.

I think the main problem is as the cars start getting modified they also require more attention. There is no free lunch on a nodded car. If you want dead reliable and are limited on attention.. Don't mod the car. The truth is there is reason racing engines don't come with a warranty. That being said, success with a high boost V6 motor only comes from being careful and being on top of things. These kits have been available since the 90's from different mfg's. Someone blows a head gasket with a 10 year old kit... All of a sudden it's the kits fault. The lack of maintenance did it in.

To make power you need octane. Whether from race gas or an alky kit. Both have their ups and downs. I have a mid 9 sec car that has now over 280 passes hundreds of street miles... Everytime I need to run the car hard.. Do the checks.. oil, fuel, alcohol, tires, etc.. Check pressure on the 3 just posted and work from there.

x2...I had voltage issues that caused a bad misfire last year and had it not been for the alky, I probably would have been walking home. The whole car as well as the dual fuel systems need to be monitored. I know a lot of people get turned off on these cars quickly b/c they are a science experiment every day when you are going fast and not everyone is capable or has the desire to do what's needed at that power level. But don't blame the alky, it's always the driver/owner that missed something.

But don't blame the alky, it's always the driver/owner that missed something.

you wouldn't believe what I have seen over the years with these cars. I told many guys to just go buy something NEW and that way it would be fine !!

you wouldn't believe what I have seen over the years with these cars. I told many guys to just go buy something NEW and that way it would be fine !!

Some people are way better off with something new and left stock. Plenty of guys here should have left there cars stock. If your not willing to take the time to educate your self and spend the time maintaining them then don't mess with these cars. Science experiment, I like that.:)

12 sec. passes should be very easy. ScanMaster, boost, fuel pressure and knock gauge are a must to keep tabs on what's going on under the hood. Stock injectors are nearing 25 yrs and should be replaced. here's a list:

42.5# or 60# injectors and matching chip
New fuel pump and hot wire kit
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
cold air intake and K&N filter
New exhaust like Hooker's
Some sticky drag radials or slicks

With the combo mentioned above I ran a 13.74 but I was on radials and stock turbo. If I had a sticky tire and got the boost up a little more I would have got in the high 12's. If that's all you're looking for, that combo will get it done. I would just bump up from the stock turbo.

However, if you can avoid one more point of failure I would say avoid it. I just built a new combo that ran 11.9 on 16psi, 93 pump gas and it screams. No Alky needed.;) However, I do have one.;). I really don't need any more boost for the streets hence me not using the alky. When I go to the track and go balls to the walls I will use Q16.;) I don't have the money to build it again.:redface:

With the combo mentioned above I ran a 13.74 but I was on radials and stock turbo. If I had a sticky tire and got the boost up a little more I would have got in the high 12's. If that's all you're looking for, that combo will get it done. I would just bump up from the stock turbo.

However, if you can avoid one more point of failure I would say avoid it. I just built a new combo that ran 11.9 on 16psi, 93 pump gas and it screams. No Alky needed.;) However, I do have one.;). I really don't need any more boost for the streets hence me not using the alky. When I go to the track and go balls to the walls I will use Q16.;) I don't have the money to build it again.:redface:

11.9 @ 112 is a good use of your available power but the turbo is nowhere near the sweet spot yet. Alky will enable anyone with some time and knowledge to tune their turbo to always be in the sweet spot. I feel bad only runing 20psi with my 44 as I know it starts to really come alive @ 25psi. My 44 went 11.7 @ almost 115 with just 20psi, so with just a little boost more than you run with your larger turbo, I'm making a little more hp according to mph. My car is heavy and so am I but I don't go crazy with the timing. I let the alky keep my turbo in a sweet boost level though that I know it likes.

IF my intercooler hose would'nt have blown off :eek: on my last run I'm sure I was on my way to 11.6~11.5. The last run was my fastest 1/8 (7.373). This was running with an AFR of 10.8 - Timing 20/18* Default Chip Setting. The 11.9 the 1/8 was 7.663. I know I can't get my turbo in the sweet spot because I don't have all the safty equipment yet :p and on the streets it's just a waste of rubber:biggrin:. If and when the stars align @ 20 psi, a neck snappin 60ft, AFR @ 11.0~11.2, & timing 20/18* I believe I will be bottom 11's.:rolleyes: 4 psi is alot of boost. :redface: If I remember correctly, I've read someone was seeing 25 hp per psi. That was on a dyno of course and they were seeing that after a certin amount of power was made.

To the OP, if all you want is 12's you don't need alot. If you are trying to keep the turbo in the sweet spot ALKY is a must because race gas gets expensive. I tried to build something that could get to my first goal(11.5) without crazy boost. (I'm almost there) When I try to attain my second goal (10.5) I know I will need to run more boost but it will be done with octane.;) READ READ READ and then when you think you got it READ some more...

To the OP, if all you want is 12's you don't need alot. If you are trying to keep the turbo in the sweet spot ALKY is a must because race gas gets expensive. I tried to build something that could get to my first goal(11.5) without crazy boost. (I'm almost there) When I try to attain my second goal (10.5) I know I will need to run more boost but it will be done with octane.;) READ READ READ and then when you think you got it READ some more...

Good advice and good luck with your goals. I'd love to feel that car at 28psi!:eek: