Refinishing OEM low mileage bumper fillers???

6-Banger

I know there are several posts about various replacement bumper fillers, but I wanted to know if anyone has had success refinishing the facatory originals? I have an 18,000 mile car with the originals on it, but they are starting to fade. It seems that I can polish them to look nice and after a week they become "chalky" and faded again. They are still very flexible as the car spends most of its life in the garage. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck refinishing their originals. I realize most people have to replace them because they become brittle and crack. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just got done getting my 40,000 GN repainted. Car was garage kept its entire life. Like you, for the last few years, my fillers would haze up, I would polish them, and then they would haze up again a few weeks later.

The haze comes from the breakdown of the plastic material in the fillers. When we removed them from the car, they literally started crumbling apart. The shop really tried to save them, but the plastic was so bad that they would continue to crumble whenever they worked on them. My bet is that yours will do the same.

Went with the new Gbody stock style replacements, and both the shop and I were very happy with them. Not cheap, but perfect replacements for stock that were easy for the shop to prep and paint.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

I had the originals that chalked up weekly, then daily, and finally cracked all in two years time. They are on the way out and I would replace them. I would recomend to buy the gbody parts set that are made like originals, priced around $650 a set of front and rear, very nice. To repaint the origs might buy time (maybe a couple years at most IMHO) , or buy new and be done for 20 years or longer

Thanks
Bill

6-Banger said:
I know there are several posts about various replacement bumper fillers, but I wanted to know if anyone has had success refinishing the facatory originals? I have an 18,000 mile car with the originals on it, but they are starting to fade. It seems that I can polish them to look nice and after a week they become "chalky" and faded again. They are still very flexible as the car spends most of its life in the garage. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck refinishing their originals. I realize most people have to replace them because they become brittle and crack. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I also had the same problem, I went with fiberglass fillers. They fit nice and look good :)

I refinished my originals about 10 yrs ago. They are still hanging in there but who knows for how much longer.

They were still flexible back then and they still look great now. But refinishing them was a lot of work. To do it right you need to wet sand them by hand, all they down to bare rubber. No paint left at all. That's a lot of wet sanding. My finger tips were bleeding.

Yes, refinishing them sucks. Only if the 1 piece would have shown up on the market a little sooner....

I just got done getting my 40,000 GN repainted. Car was garage kept its entire life. Like you, for the last few years, my fillers would haze up, I would polish them, and then they would haze up again a few weeks later.

The haze comes from the breakdown of the plastic material in the fillers. When we removed them from the car, they literally started crumbling apart. The shop really tried to save them, but the plastic was so bad that they would continue to crumble whenever they worked on them. My bet is that yours will do the same.

Went with the new Gbody stock style replacements, and both the shop and I were very happy with them. Not cheap, but perfect replacements for stock that were easy for the shop to prep and paint.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick
+1 for the GBody replacements. I just had my 43,xxx mile car painted as well, picking her up in the morning. Mine crumbled as well, bought the OEM style from Brian, the shop was very happy with them, I havent even seen them installed yet, cant wait to see my car tomorrow !!!

Bryan

Thanks for the replies/information. I have a good bodyman that will be doing them on the side(not shop rate). If he quotes me less than $200 for the prep of the OEM's, I will try to refinsh them. I know I am probably pressing my luck, but I am willing to try it once.