Rear Downforce Wing

Are you saying your car accelerates harder than a TSO car past the 330'?
I don't know enough about a TSO car to say either way. I know my car performs no where near what a TSO car does up to the 330'. Or, am I wrong?

If someone wants to educate me about the acceleration rates of a TSO car, be my guest. I've already asked what mph someone is doing by the 330' mark. Haven't got an answer yet. Why not just list all the incrementals for me.

Not too sure why my car keeps getting compared to a TSO car, but thanks. I'm honored.

Hey Donnie,
I do not know if he is still in business, but Ed Quay made very nice wings in the 90's. I remember a few Pro Street Regals that had his wings. A friend of mine has one on his 71 Nova racecar. I can try to find out. If not,they are not hard to make. You know me, I would give you a hand. I love this sh&t!!!

Take care,
Coach

Hey Donnie,
I do not know if he is still in business, but Ed Quay made very nice wings in the 90's. I remember a few Pro Street Regals that had his wings. A friend of mine has one on his 71 Nova racecar. I can try to find out. If not,they are not hard to make. You know me, I would give you a hand. I love this sh&t!!!

Take care,
Coach
The last time I checked the ND, Ed was advertising in there. I've studied some wings at the track, and they look easy enough to make. I know you can get many of the simple components needed from race car chassis manufacturers.

I've studied the rear wing idea about a couple years now. Checking out wing designs at the track to see if I could come up with an idea for the car. I think the spill plate design is the main thing I want to get right. The rest is pretty generic.
I feel that the spill plate needs to extend down below the wing farther than above it. Protecting the low pressure zone under the wing appears to be more important than building the high pressure zone above the wing.
I think I want to mount the support struts to the lower edge of the trunk lid. That way I don't have to fiddle with unclipping struts when I need to open the trunk lid to refuel.

I don't know enough about a TSO car to say either way. I know my car performs no where near what a TSO car does up to the 330'. Or, am I wrong?

If someone wants to educate me about the acceleration rates of a TSO car, be my guest. I've already asked what mph someone is doing by the 330' mark. Haven't got an answer yet. Why not just list all the incrementals for me.

Not too sure why my car keeps getting compared to a TSO car, but thanks. I'm honored.

No one is trying to say your car is as powerful as a TSO car. Ted was saying that the much more powerful TSO cars don't need wings, why should you. Your answer eluded to something about your car accelerating harder farther down the track. I wasn't sure if that was what you meant so I asked for clarification. Please explain.
I have no idea if your car performs better to the 330' since you didn't post any time. You did post mph and asked for comparison. I have never ran at a track that gave a 330' mph so can't give you a comparison. Nobody I knows logs mph since it really isn't that important. We tend to log acceleration, and driveshaft speed, etc..
Just like the rest of your combination. It's your car, if you think you need a wing, go for it.

First id block as much air as possible from getting under the front of the car, then block the grille area, then build a sheet metal aluminum air pan for the area under the trunk that correlates to the edge of the rear bumper. This should be good for close to 190mph from what others have done with a working suspension. Only then id consider the wing. Ill throw in my educated guess that TSO is over 1.2 g's at the 330' mark. Just a hunch.

How fast does a car need to be traveling to benifit from a wing for downforce? I always thought it was for car mid to low 8's and faster?

Donnie,
Wind speed is wind speed regardless of acceleration. As I am sure you know velocity is not the same as acceleration.

IMO at your speed (velocity) you shouldn't be having problems.

If you are wiggling due to acceleration it is likely a traction issue with the tires spinning and grabbing. Do you have a wheel/driveshaft speed sensor to look at this?

I would also look at tire pressure, if your not leaving that hard you should be able to inc tire pressure significantly.

I would lower the car and keep as much air out from underneath the car as possible.

Block the cowl area if you haven't already.

IMO, if you go to a wing it will only be a band aid for another problem I would want to find first.

Hope this helps.

How fast does a car need to be traveling to benifit from a wing for downforce? I always thought it was for car mid to low 8's and faster?

dave f 7.97et 175pus mph no wing? tony g 7.97 et 175mph no wing? sorry stock wing ... seen cars running 7.00et.. 200mph with no wing.. I don't get it he only running 150 pus:confused:if the car want to go to the moon:biggrin: he sould look at his suspension..

OK. Let's talk suspension then. I'm running stiff wall 29.5x10.5-15Ws. 9.25 lbs. in the tires. If I ramp the control pressure to 32 psi by the end of the 1/8 mile after getting through the 1-2 shift, the car sticks. The best ET and mph with the 91mm have been had this way.
If I try to bring the control pressure to 32 soon after the 1-2 shift, the car skates and I lose ET and mph. It's an OEM layout design 4 link with the Moser raised rear upper control arm mounting location. Up to this point, the car launches awesome. As you know, I'm not really hitting it hard at the launch at the moment. I'll post the latest datalog tracing for you to study. It will be the one where the control pressure cutback was a little late into the 1-2 shift and slight tire slippage resulted in a long drawn out shift to 2nd.

Here are the incrementals on the last run I made. Let me know if this looks normal for a car doing 155 in the 1/4.

60' 1.479
330 ET 4.128
330 mph 89.005
1/8 ET 6.181
1/8 mph 121.664

If you link to the vid in my signiture, you can get an idea of how hard the car pulls just after the 330' mark in a 1/4 mile pass. There was a little skating on that pass.

9.25 might be little low throw a pound of pressure in it may be suprised.

Datalog trace 29d. Let me know if there are any questions. The run actually resulted in the second best run for the 91mm, off of the best run by less than .1 sec.
You can see the long drawn out drop in engine rpm during the 1-2 shift. It actually gave me a very impressive seat of the pants yank during that shift. The best I've felt with this car up to this point. Now I know why ECM traction control is such a hot item.

Attachments

• 20100131_15403229drs.jpg
    20100131_15403229drs.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,485
Actually, I'd say the car doesn't really pick it up until about halfway between the 330' and the 660' mark. Would you agree?

Love your posts Donnie but if something isn't made soon I'm gonna move it to the general section. This is great info but I don't see where it's leading after all.

Love your posts Donnie but if something isn't made soon I'm gonna move it to the general section. This is great info but I don't see where it's leading after all.

You're more than welcome to move it. I'm not going to rush myself on this project.
Didn't I just start this thread yesterday? :confused: And this morning you're asking why you haven't seen anything made yet? In a bit of a rush, aren't you?

So what's the deal with this section? Are we supposed to make the item first, then post about it? No discussion about preliminary planning allowed?

We made our own wing. I dont believe it survived the crash but Im going to go look around in the shop. If it did, Ill post some pictures of it.

We did a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread. We cut the rear quarters and sheet metal'd everything off to get the air out from the the rear quicker and the car was slammed so low to the ground, there wasnt much room for air to get under it. We also blocked the grill off completely to keep air from getting trapped under the hood.

We made our own wing. I dont believe it survived the crash but Im going to go look around in the shop. If it did, Ill post some pictures of it.

We did a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread. We cut the rear quarters and sheet metal'd everything off to get the air out from the the rear quicker and the car was slammed so low to the ground, there wasnt much room for air to get under it. We also blocked the grill off completely to keep air from getting trapped under the hood.
I'd appreciate that. Some pictures would help stir the creative juices.

I think my problem is that the car is starting out the first half a lot slower than what you guys are doing. The car isn't up to speed when the big numbers hit and the tires are slipping. If the car had a better first half and didn't have to make up as much on the second half, it might be a different story. What mph are you guys doing by the 330 mark? I'm at only 91 mph.

108MPH at the 330' based on 330' E.T. checking my log at that point and MPH shown on my datalog, but tire growth is not factored in. This was on my 8.26 pass.

Why can't you throw more at it earlier in the run?? The car should be on the pipe in less than 2 seconds after the brake is let go. Can you hit it with more NOS and boost after the leave??