Random Questions

Has anyone tried to make a c/t intake out of an SFI intake? dont see why it wouldnt work.

Main problem is- you loose the hood, all the mounting bracket locations, and exhaust. If your going to do that forget the CT turbo and use a TA 60 or something like that with a carbon seal. According to AJ a SFI intake is really bad for a wet charge. Aparently a weiand is a better choice. And it is lower, and it is designed for a wet charge. And cheeper, though not easier to find.

Unless your talking about a 84/85 car, but you'd be wasting your time as a hot air SFI intake isnt really any better.

Thanks Matt.

Yeah, I thought about a 84/85 intake but its heavier than a stock aluminum D/T intake... but I think it would probably work if you plugged the FI ports up.

Would I need to buy an MSD distributor to go with a MSD BTM? or will a stock HEI work fine?

Nope. You can go with the MSD 6BTM which is a MSD 6 with a BTM as one or just a BTM with a stock HEI. I am completly happy with my stock NA distribuitor and a BTM unit. :cool:

You can get a BTM or a 6-BTM. Both will work with an HEI without to many mods. The 5-BTM will control the spark better but if you do everything right it won't make much of a difference unless you get a ignition module from MSD as well.

Ok cool. Well I was going to go with the 6-BTM if I can find one for the right price(cheap). Wasn`t there some other BTMs that where made? I remember seeing another brand before, but forgot what it was.

Ok cool. Well I was going to go with the 6-BTM if I can find one for the right price(cheap). Wasn`t there some other BTMs that where made? I remember seeing another brand before, but forgot what it was.

vortech made a simular model. summit has its own brand of BTM as well.

A.j.

engine block

Hey yall, was taking apart an 81' c/t and when the intake came off I was looking at the lifter gally casting at the front of the block, it seems that the casting is not fully formed and is open towards the front, is this something I should worry about?

Hey yall, was taking apart an 81' c/t and when the intake came off I was looking at the lifter gally casting at the front of the block, it seems that the casting is not fully formed and is open towards the front, is this something I should worry about?

Nope this is nothing to worry about and is normal, that is how all the early 3.8 and 4.1 blocks are. The 109 blocks are the ones that are smooth in the valley.

vortech made a simular model. summit has its own brand of BTM as well.

A.j.

Yeah, that`s the one I was thinking... Summit has one too?... I will have to check out their prices.

Wiring questions...
1. I`m sure Rich should know this, since he is the one who posted the pic on his site and some others might know... for the '78/79 wiring harness, where is the Relay for the ESC at? fuse box? or do I need to install one? Where do I find one at?

2. Where is the chanking motor that the purple wire goes too and also... what the hell is a chanking motor?:biggrin: what does it do?

3. The purple wire goes to the chanking motor as-well as the harness connector... is the wire in the car purple too? If so, I can just connect it from the inside(the pink wire too) and avoid having to work around the brake booster.

4. I`m confused, the pink wire goes to the battery wire on the distributor and to the ignition too? Is the pink wire connected to the ignition from the harness connector inside the car already or do I have to do that? and is that a 12v wire?

I only ask so many questions cause, I don`t like to fk the Regal up anymore than it has been over the years... She has been used, abused and renewed... now its time to upgrade her:biggrin:

I cleaned the pic up a little, so its easier to read it now...
wire78esc.jpg

When the trouble shooting manual gets here I'll see if I can do a few scans so it's a little clearer. I can't believe I got it for less than $10 shpped but it's on it's way to me.:biggrin:

Off the "other" board and evilbay. Pats83 is the one I got it off of.

Oh ok... nice. It don`t look that hard to wire up, but I want to know what the hell I`m doing before I jump in and start wiring things up... I have fried things under the dash before:rolleyes: