Ran the car yesterday

rob350

The last time I went was back in May, ran a 13.7 @ 103 mph. I added drag radials and a full tank of 110 octane and ran this yesterday.

60 ft 2.063
1/8 mile 8.598
1/8 mph 86.30
1/4 mile 13.280
1/4 mph 103.23

This was my best pass and I ran 20 psi of boost, 0 knock, 02 read 780 at the top of 3rd. Launched at 1 psi boost. According to turbotweaks instructions, I was a little lean on the tune, but still in specs. I did not have a 110 chip in it. Any advice? If i'm going to run straight 110, I should probably get a new chip?

Rob

Sorry, I have to ask. Why the stock turbo and little bitty injectors with such a big cam.

Your car cries for something like a 6262 turbo and 60# or bigger injectors!!

According to Comp Cams, it's a good stock replacement cam? The people that did my machine work on the motor picked it out.

According to Comp Cams, it's a good stock replacement cam? The people that did my machine work on the motor picked it out.

I would consider a 200 200 as a good stock replacement, since the stock is about a 197.

Sorry to disagree but 212 212 needs MORE turbo and injector.

Sure it's going to run OK, but you're leaving a TON of performance on the table.

I only run a 200 200 cam in an otherwise internally bone stock motor, and run 11.6's @ 117.

A bad combo like yours will do nothing good.

Get a 110 chip if you are going to run nothing but 110. With more timing it will pick up considerably and should run 12.5s or so at 107-108 with a 4-5 psi launch. Your car is not a "bad" combo, its just incomplete. A nice turbo upgrade would certainly benfit you. The 212/212 isn't killing you but its not helping you much either. You don't flow enough air through the stock turbo and heads to take advantage of the cams upper rpm benefits. Its a good cam and you will see huge benefits later on down the road when more mods are added.

Its not a good stock replacement cam and should not be on anything with stock untouched heads. Its the largest cam any 10 sec or slower car needs imo and definitely the most needed with any of the commercially available iron heads or non ported aluminum ones. You may also run into an interference issue on the exhaust guides if the lift is much over .450 and your guides werent cut down. My old engine with the 212 had peak torque at about 5000 rpm with the 212 cam. The car ran low 10's with that engine. I shifted at 5800-5900. The stock turbo is out of breath at 4800 rpm and about 22psi of boost. Right where that cam starts to really make good power the rest of your induction system is out of breath in your combo.

Im guessing once I upgrade my turbo and injectors, my stock intercooler will be the weak link? With a 6262 turbo, what stall is needed for that?

Bison, my guides were cut down.

Its not a good stock replacement cam and should not be on anything with stock untouched heads. Its the largest cam any 10 sec or slower car needs imo and definitely the most needed with any of the commercially available iron heads or non ported aluminum ones. You may also run into an interference issue on the exhaust guides if the lift is much over .450 and your guides werent cut down. My old engine with the 212 had peak torque at about 5000 rpm with the 212 cam. The car ran low 10's with that engine. I shifted at 5800-5900. The stock turbo is out of breath at 4800 rpm and about 22psi of boost. Right where that cam starts to really make good power the rest of your induction system is out of breath in your combo.

I just got on comps site and it says "Good replacement for Turbo-Charged Grand National". My bad about them saying it's a good stock replacement. :eek:

I just got on comps site and it says "Good replacement for Turbo-Charged Grand National". My bad about them saying it's a good stock replacement. :eek:

It is funny how one word can completely change the meaning.... LOL

I agree with others... there is lots of room for more power.... the turbo... injectors... heads..... etc..... have you considered an alky kit in lieu of the 110? It will surely help cool the intake charge off with that stock intercooler......

IMHO even with only a TE44/TA49 turbo..... at 20 psi.... you should be 11 sec capable.... with sub 1.65 60' times.......instead of low 13's.....and 2.0 60' times...

Im guessing once I upgrade my turbo and injectors, my stock intercooler will be the weak link? With a 6262 turbo, what stall is needed for that?

Bison, my guides were cut down.

Heads will net much more than an intercooler even without alky. If you add in alky the stock intercooler will work sub 11.50. A PTC 10" 2800 stall will spool the 6262

Are 100lb valve springs enough with that cam?

assuming its a flat tappet I don't see why not? Now if it's a hydraulic roller I would agree

My 212/212 flat tappet went 10.22@133mph with a set of champion ported irons. Could have run in the 9's with it if I had my converter properly spec'd. It was slipping large at this level getting 1.50 sixty foots. After the converter was tightened up, consistant 1.3's. So ya, too much cam for that combo.