quick question

jtgn

I'm looking to get my THDP coated by Jet Hot and i was just wondering what temp the downpipes get up to. The reason i'm asking is because i would like to get it coated with their Sterling which is rated up to 1300 degrees but i'm getting different answers on whether or not it will hold up. Thanks

Maybe, maybe not.
Our exhaust temps reach 1600+ easily. Might want to consider the 2100* coatings if they have them

THDP

This is what i thought too, as i thought that the temps were over 1500 degrees, but many people have told me that this is the header temp and the DP barely sees over 1000 degrees. Any help would be appreciated...

Re: THDP

Originally posted by jtgn
This is what i thought too, as i thought that the temps were over 1500 degrees, but many people have told me that this is the header temp and the DP barely sees over 1000 degrees. Any help would be appreciated...

The DP temp is ~150 degrees less than header temp before the turbo. So 1600 deg is normal on a WOT run at the O2 location, so you figure it out.:)

Jet-Hot 2000 is what you want. It only comes in black and is good for 2000deg.

Can you tell me how much it cost to do your THDP?

or has anyone done it before, or even header cost.

Its been a long time since mine was done but I think it was around $ 220 to do the exhaust manifold,down pipe, cross over pipe and the Hot side of the turbo.

REG

downpipe

Thanks for all the replies guys. I talked to a guy over at HPC Coatings yesterday and he basically told me that all that's needed is the 1300 degree coating. He said that he's done many GN downpipes and although the exhaust gas temp may be 1500ish the bar never heats up that much. Don't know if this is correct, but he told me that the 2000 plus coating would be way overkill.

He may be correct if you are not racing your car. A few WOT runs and it will discolor at the turbo outlet.