question on the history of the GN.....

Maroon91RS

SupaDupaCharged V6!!!
ok someone tried to tell me that the GN wasnt introduced as a "collector" or limited edition vehicle and theyre only rare because the general public didnt take too well to the idea of the V6.in fact heres exactly what he said taken from a local car forum im on......
They are extremely high maintence cars which is unfortuntaly, one of the main reasons they didn't sell well at all. Remember.. it's a GM vehicle after all. The guy that sold me my car raced a 11 second grand national. he sold me my car because he couldn't handle two unreliable turbo vehicles. He still wanted a convertible and went out and bought a olds'
and this after i tried to tell him they werent in high production numbers because theyre more of a collector type car,kinda like the SRT-4 and the STi of today.....
anyways, the GN from what I've seen in ads and stuff wasn't promoted as a collectors car.. not as if the SRT-4 is either. lol. The T-Type and GN sold poorly, it wasn't like they wanted to make a very small number of them. The concept just didn't catch on people were still wanting domestic v8's and the thought of a super high output v6 didnt' seem to work well.

A lot of people I've talked to had no clue it was the US's fastest production car for every year it was made. That's if they even had heard of it.
so whos right here?thanks for your help!!

Hmm... if hes right than why did the 87 model year continue into december when the plant (as every model year is supposed to) was supposed to stop production in August??? Cause the GNs were selling like hotcakes!

The GN was absolutely sold as a "special" or "limited" edition, look at the ads of the day. They arent easy to come by, but the GN wasnt just another car, and it was never intended to be.. It was supposed to be the flagship of Buicks Motorsports Division, which died shortly after the GN was ended.....

Well since you asked for opinions....lol.

I agree with your friend. These cars didn't sell well and that's why they were discontinued. The only "Buick collector car" built for that market was the GNX. And it was a flop as a collector because there were so many built. Only in the last 5 years have the prices started to go up...but still not where they should be for professional collectors.

They are high maintenance IF YOU SCREW WITH 'EM. Leave 'em stock and you'll get long life out of them I think. I've got one with over 200,000 miles on it. Runs perfectly to this day. And I've got others that I've fixed until they're broken and I'm continually working on them. But they're fast.:)

The GN was built as a limited production specialty vehicle and scheduled build numbers were much lower than any of the other lines. It was known when they were built that most Buick purchasers would opt for the normally aspirated V-8 or V-6. The key here is it was a production car, and the numbers produced reflect that. Sales were never slow, in fact, I know customers that bought cars that weren't exactly what they wanted because they couldn't find it any other way. The reason the GN died was a strictly Corporate decision due to the fact the 88 Regals were switching to front wheel drive platforms. The production of these cars went from 2000 to 2100 in '84 to 85 and then in '86 they produced 5500. Hardly what I would call a dying interest in them. I don't have the numbers for '87, but it was the biggest year in sales for the GN's. The 1/4 mile record for production car that the GN's set in '87 stood until Corvette broke it in '90.
Ultra rare? No. Rare? Yes. Lack of interest killed it? No! GM produced more every year than were originally scheduled to build. High maintenance? Only if you have some bubba wrenching on it. Reason for death? They stopped building a rear drive platform.

Ok, that is my two cents worth. You can check with Buick to varify my info if ya want. It's very humorous to me to see how so many people are still living in denial of what these cars were and are today. It's not my bias on them either, I'm a basic Ford man, so go figure huh.

The GNX and Turbo Trans Am were promoted as "collector cars" as the sticker price showed at the time (can we say bad investment, but great purchase) but the GN's and T-Types were simply special edition production cars that were built to handle the demand for them. They absolutely were not killed because of low demand, it was entirely because of a platform change to wrong wheel drive. HTH

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Well since you asked for opinions....lol.

I agree with your friend. These cars didn't sell well and that's why they were discontinued. ......
....... But they're fast.:)

I do not agree with Chris, or your friend with their statements. Mark is right on with his comment about the corporate GM bean counters dumping the rear drive platforms.

The GN's and the Buick turbo program was done by Buick Motorsports group that did the Indy cars and such. As the rear drive Regal neared extintion, BMS bent corporate policy and did the intercooled T-R motors. The Buick division had just received a new head, Ed Mertz, and his dictate did NOT include performance vehicles.

I have articles from 1986-7 buried, but this is the way I remembered how it was.

The demand for GN's did not really start until about Spring 1987. Dealers had many on their lots and were selling them at less than sticker. When the GNX was announced and publicized, then there was interest from enthusiasts who started visiting dealerships. With the GNX at double the price of a GN, dealers started marking up GN's as their demand increased.

As as as turbo Buick history in other forums....................???:) :)

Yes, GM came out with the FWD platforms in 88 but Olds and Chevrolet coninued production of the RWD through the 88 model year. I think if Buick could have, they would have as well. I had always heard that Buick got orders from GM corporate to kill the GN because of it's ability to embarass GM's flagship sportscar, the Corvette. I don't know this for a fact but it was what I have heard in the past and it makes good sense.

The only limit on the GN's or aany of the other turbo
Regals, except the GNX, was how many people, or
dealers, ordered them. Most dealers didn't order
very many because of the reputation that the
carbed turbos had built. They melted down
quite frequently and early. Most enthusiasts who
otherwise would have ordered these cars knew that
and didn't jump on the 84 & 85's because of it.
Once the situation got recognized, then sales went
up. Look at the production #'s. I bought a 78
Sport coupe, it cracked a piston at ~60K mi.
My buddy's 78 did the same. Thes cars had early
and premeature failures. This hurt the sale of these
cars.

Originally posted by GS_Beavis
Yes, GM came out with the FWD platforms in 88 but Olds and Chevrolet coninued production of the RWD through the 88 model year. I think if Buick could have, they would have as well.
No, that is wrong. As was stated above, G-body production at the Pontiac assembly plant was extended through December, 1987. This included Montes and Cutlasses as well as Regals. Those late build Oldsmobiles and Chevys were sold as 1988 model year vehicles but were built right alongside 1987 Regals.

The story about 'the last GN' (which has it's own twists) says it all. That car was the last G-body Buick, the last turbo Regal & the last car built at that plant. One of the photos documenting the event shows that 1987 GN following a 1988 Monte Carlo down the line. :)

6 to go is correct about the reputation of the early cars
did not help matters.
I worked for a buick dealership in 1981 & remember lots
of the early turbo cars coming in for work.

When the 84 came out it sold well because of looks.
Once the reputation of the SFI & INTERCOOLER came
the sales went up.

I too remeber DIE HARD v-8 guys complaining about
the Buick having a six & the monte ss having a weak 305.
Unfortunatly that is the way our cars were judged back then.
If those V-8 guys had only gotten a ride in the 86-87 models
I bet more would have sold.

It is in writing from GM. When I ordered my we 4 from the dealer, the ordering information, said something like this.
"Total Grand National sales cannot exceed 33% of all regal sales". That is why the we4 was made. I don't have the letter handy right now, but I think Jon has it on his we4 web sight. I sent him a copy of it a long time ago.

A lot of this was due to the weight of the GN and the CAFE standards. If you want to know just how tight the standards were you couldn't order floor mats in the we4 due to the weight of the car.

David

It is in writing from GM. When I ordered my we 4 from the dealer, the ordering information, said something like this.
"Total Grand National sales cannot exceed 33% of all regal sales". That is why the we4 was made. I don't have the letter handy right now, but I think Jon has it on his we4 web sight. I sent him a copy of it a long time ago.

A lot of this was due to the weight of the GN and the CAFE standards. If you want to know just how tight the standards were you couldn't order floor mats in the we4 due to the weight of the car.

David

cool lots of good information.thanks a bunch to all of those that contributed.ill get back to him and let him know.hes the type of person that likes to learn new things so im sure he'll appreciate it too.

My order for my GN (I ordered it in October of 1986 after trying to buy an '86 demo) was kicked back for two options:

- floor mats
- power passenger seat

It seems it would make the car too heavy for the CAFE standards. I had to resubmit the order without those options before it would go through. My car didn't come in until March of 1987!

I thought I was getting one of the last ones made, but they decided to make the "extended run" GNs and WE4s later.

For historical facts and production numbers, take a look at http://www.gnttype.org ...

Originally posted by we4turbo
........ A lot of this was due to the weight of the GN and the CAFE standards. If you want to know just how tight the standards were you couldn't order floor mats in the we4 due to the weight of the car. David

When I ordered my '87 T-Type in the summer of 1986 the order was returned later as they would not build it with a power seat or trunk release as it would be over the weight for its classification. The other option was to re-order for a build after Jan 1987 when the "count" started all over again.

Should have taken the option and maybe it would have had better paint. It was so bad that the dealer had to repaint it before delivery. My GN purchased in the summer of '87 had great paint. Go figure?

:confused:

wasnt the reason buick built the grand national was because they won the NASCAR manufacture's trophey? so thhey intruduced it in '82 in very limited production.