Question: For those that have installed Bilstein Shocks...

dave82

I recently purchased a set of Bilstein Shocks from an online vendor that are a variation of the standard ones. My understanding is the only difference is the color. These are black (I know, I could have also spray painted the yellow/blue ones).
However I noticed the rears are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter than the originals. Is this going to matter? Anyone else notice the same difference when replacing yours?
Also, I noticed that the top mounting flange was not slightly angled like the originals. It is horizontal instead. Is this fine to install the way it is? The company assured me they verified the correct part number for my car during a phone call before shipment but I just found a different part number listed with another vendor which I need to call back and talk to someone about. The box label says "Buick Skylark/ GS / Century '65 - '96." I find this extremely strange. How could the same shock fit such a wide period of different body/chassis combinations? Website says it's for a '73 - '87 Regal / Grand National / GNX. That's what I selected. Pretty obvious this company does not have it's information in order. It could be the correct part and just be mis-labeled but how am I supposed to know? Getting ready just to cancel and send it all back.
Thanks in advance for any input.

I recently purchased a set of Bilstein Shocks from an online vendor that are a variation of the standard ones. My understanding is the only difference is the color. These are black (I know, I could have also spray painted the yellow/blue ones).
However I noticed the rears are about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch shorter than the originals. Is this going to matter? Anyone else notice the same difference when replacing yours?
Also, I noticed that the top mounting flange was not slightly angled like the originals. It is horizontal instead. Is this fine to install the way it is? The company assured me they verified the correct part number for my car during a phone call before shipment but I just found a different part number listed with another vendor which I need to call back and talk to someone about. The box label says "Buick Skylark/ GS / Century '65 - '96." I find this extremely strange. How could the same shock fit such a wide period of different body/chassis combinations? Website says it's for a '73 - '87 Regal / Grand National / GNX. That's what I selected. Pretty obvious this company does not have it's information in order. It could be the correct part and just be mis-labeled but how am I supposed to know? Getting ready just to cancel and send it all back.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Part number/numbers?

I read something about different pns for them a while back here. If I can recall, it had something to do with difference in stiffness. Don take me for granted though. Try doing a search here and maybe someone will chime in too.

There are 2 different types to choose from. Standard that start with F4, and HD that start with 24 in the part number. Not sure which one the black shocks are. Most people run the HD. I do and am happy with the ride.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Part numbers that were given to me are:
Rear: 55-R150
Front: 55-R195

What's confusing is that a different distributer has the following part numbers listed online for '78 - '88 G-Body cars:
Rear: 55-R022
Front: 55-R012B

I'm going to call them on Monday and question them about this. Only bought these because I liked the all Black appearance. Had I known there would be issues with the part numbers I would have just ordered the traditional ones from Kirban Performance and wouldn't have any concerns.

Part numbers that were given to me are:
Rear: 55-R150
Front: 55-R195

What's confusing is that a different distributer has the following part numbers listed online for '78 - '88 G-Body cars:
Rear: 55-R022
Front: 55-R012B

I'm going to call them on Monday and question them about this. Only bought these because I liked the all Black appearance. Had I known there would be issues with the part numbers I would have just ordered the traditional ones from Kirban Performance and wouldn't have any concerns.
These shocks that you bought are made for PTS/performance suspension technology by Bilstein and I can't find anything that has the 55-r195 number. The 55-r150 is shown by them to be a ford shock.
The 55-r022 and 55-r012b are the part numbers that PTS shows as being the correct shocks for the Buick Regal and they have digressive valving. The shocks that Bilstein markets for the Regal are
24-009492 front and 24-009294 rear and have linear valving. I've also seen AK1043 offered for the front of the Regal. This shock is one of a number of shocks that Bilstein offers in their street stock racing shock category and I was told by a Bilstein rep that it has a very similar linear valving compared to the 24-009492 shocks. In the street stock category,you will find a hand full of shocks offered for the Regal that you can choose based on their rebound and compression numbers.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/charts/bilstein_gmss.gif

Last edited:
These shocks that you bought are made for PTS/performance suspension technology by Bilstein and I can't find anything that has the 55-r195 number. The 55-r150 is shown by them to be a ford shock.
The 55-r022 and 55-r012b are the part numbers that PTS shows as being the correct shocks for the Buick Regal and they have digressive valving. The shocks that Bilstein markets for the Regal are
24-009492 front and 24-009294 rear and have linear valving. I've also seen AK1043 offered for the front of the Regal. This shock is one of a number of shocks that Bilstein offers in their street stock racing shock category and I was told by a Bilstein rep that it has a very similar linear valving compared to the 24-009492 shocks. In the street stock category,you will find a hand full of shocks offered for the Regal that you can choose based in their rebound and compression numbers.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/images/charts/bilstein_gmss.gif
Wow Thanks! Interesting, I did not know Bilstein offered different valving options and that these were digressive. Just checked out PST Performance's site. Good to know I now have a second source that is also showing different part numbers from the ones I received. Looks like I will be sending these back.
I appreciate the information!