Pump Inspection 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Ok.. I have decided after a few emails and calls to detail the disassembly of the pump head and re-assembly in a step by step manner. Some of the pictures may differ from actual pumps, but the intent is to demonstrate and not reveal. If the pump is off the vehicle, a few minutes is all thats required. Neat when theyre user friendly. Plus the photo's will illustrate what a normal pump should look like internally.

It may be a good idea if the car will be in storage for an extended period to perform the detailed steps and assure trouble free operation for next season.

So lets start, this picture is of the pump assembled.

Attachments

• Pump head assembled.jpg
    Pump head assembled.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 834
Next is remove three screws on top of pump to gain access to the check valve. careful check valve is spring loaded ;) .. so dont let it fly out..

Attachments

• check valve in head.jpg
    check valve in head.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 829
This is the check valve orientation. Top/spring/bottom.

Attachments

• check valve orient.jpg
    check valve orient.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 827
Next make sure there is no debris in shaft or obstructions. Also make sure valve seats freely without spring.

Attachments

• check valve seated.jpg
    check valve seated.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 820
Next is remove six screws from head of pump. This will allow access to the valve. Note the lon screws go into the motor, short screws hold the upper body in place.

Attachments

• head of pump.jpg
    head of pump.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 818
Now you'll be able and see the valve inside the head mounted on the diaphram.

Attachments

• Valve in head.jpg
    Valve in head.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 802
Now the valve can be pulled out and inspected/cleaned. Cleaning of all these parts can be done with regular tap water.

Attachments

• valve top.jpg
    valve top.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 793
Now this is the picture of a regular valve bottom. Note the size of the cups. A simple test is see that the valve holds water when poured on the cups, if not.. valve is damaged requiring replacement. None of the rubbers should be disformed or damaged.

The upper rubber that is round in the center with the three supports should be flush/slightly lower than the poly surface its mounted too.

Attachments

• Valve bottom.jpg
    Valve bottom.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 786
Wash all the parts that come in contact with the alky in water, and reassemble in reverse order. Make sure that the three nipples on top of the valve line up with the holes inside the upper body. This is important. Also make sure the large O-ring on top of the valve is on the valve ;) before putting the head together.

Thats it.. re-assemble in reverse order.. tighten screws on head snug.. remember theyre going into aluminum and the head is plastic.. so dont get too over zealous. The check valve goes back in reverse order, valve down.. spring.. plastic cup and seal.. then switch plate assembly.

***** Note pictures of parts may differ from pumps that I sell in some cases**** That is all I wish to say :biggrin: But the general order of inspection is the same.

The above parts if needing replacement are available, the only part not worth replacing due to cost is the diaphram. The valves, upper, check valves, etc.. are all replaceable very inexpensive. I will only sell parts to those that have bought pumps/systems from me. Otherwise contact Shurflo for your needs.

Hope the tutorial eliminates some of the fear of working/inspecting of the pump..

Any questions specific to what and how I do to pumps.. please direct them off list PLEASE.. hope all understand..

Lastly.. run a little water and check for leaks.. done.

Whalla :)

Status
Not open for further replies.