Proper tuning.........what does it mean to you???

ttypewhite

How many of you guys set up a plan to build yourself a solid Street car or Race car?? You work hours on end, thrashing to turn this plan into a reality. Then when its all together and you fire it up your as happy as a pig in sh it, figuring you have gone this far, why not tune it yourself as well, or maybe even someone local to do it for you to save on money. The reason for this post is to share my experience with you. That very same dude I described was me until I did my research and realized that I need help, and above all else stop the bleeding.
This is where our very own vendors come in.......... This is the second time I have flown in Cal to work some magic on my car. I am not going to pretend I understand all the graphs and numbers in the FAST system. I don't. I thought my car was in a great state of affairs before Cal got here, my Dad too. Then he hooked up his laptop and started browsing around and saw a lot of stuff I did wrong, and corrected them. My drivability is now like a stock GN, my hot start is done now with me standing outside the car keying it over (120lb injectors). My gas mileage is ten times better, WOT.......AWESOME!!! . I am not posting this because I am told to, I am posting this to help others that operate like I used to. We spend countless dollars building these cars, and the most important piece of the puzzle once its done, is keeping it alive. Guys, don't cheap out!!! Factor this cost into your builds and I guarantee you will be 1000X happier in the end. The last 2 years of having him do what he does best has made me really enjoy my car. I am sure there are other vendors on here that do this too, I have no experience with them so I can't comment on that. This post is meant to ask yourself a personal question. "What does proper tuning mean to you??" In other wards, does the cost of tuning really effect your judgement ? and has it cost you more in the past doing it yourself??? This post doesn't apply to everybody so no need to comment if you can handle it yourself ( I tip my hat off to you).

Being frmo the NA world like most of us, ......... at one time I thought to be pretty good . . . . then I spend countless hours talking to people who write code, and working through the learning curve . . . . . . and read a lot of those that do this for a living.

After some years of “lessons learned” and spending the $$$ on another build, I was honest with myself and my “tuning inadequacy”.
I now really learned appreciate the lesson and psychology of this 10 second video . . .

After the $ spent on the engine build, not to mention my time assembling everything, time lost with the car sitting in the garage waiting on parts and people to do what they are getting paid to do, a proper tune is priceless. I was lucky enough to get in with 4 other people to split the cost. Watching Cal on the XFI is crazy. Also having the customer service he provides is awesome. He helped me get my car up and running last fall from a dentist appointment texting. My car drive like a stocker. I gave a friend a ride in my car yesterday. He has had some fast cars, bikes, and has grown up around fast drag cars, 8, 9 sec cars, that never see the street. I told him what the car is capable of running. He said why are we not driving it now? He crapped his pants on boost, 2nd gear is useless. Rolling boost into 3rd blew the tires off. He was mostly impressed with how drivable the car is, comfortable and not overheating. Smooth idle, low rpms with 3.42's blew his mind. He said he never really liked the GN's, never really thought about owning one, but now he wants one.

well hate to say it but I will.:D Prob 75% of the guys in here can't tune a car with a simple chip never mind a FAST system. :rolleyes: I have watched a lot of cars grenade with guys that think they are gurus after a few lessons of tuning from the likes of Cal and another guy I have watched working (Prock another Fl "tuna" .. BBC NOS cars) .. ;)

I am fortunate in that I live 2 hours drive from Cal and he always makes time to tune me up. I say I live 2 hours away but I spend 11 months out of the year away from my home so when I am home it's important to get my car running right and I too have no clue about how to tune the F.A.S.T. But it only takes Cal an hour more or less to do it all. He is the man. My car has never run better. Or faster!:D

I will admit it...I need help with the FAST...
I just installed 2.0 and internal logging, got a solenoid for boost control. Got weatherpak connectors from Cal in NC. Now I need to connect the solenoid and start fresh.

Bryan

Ive helped run Richard Clarks dyno several times and Cals skils blows me away....even though you guys on fast are a league away, im paying attention because I hope im at that level one day....

The biggest thing I've seen with tuna's is they forget the basics and go right into trying to figure out what isn't even a factor yet. Basics first and then go from there. Yes, I'm a carbed guy but it still applies that you've got to start from "start" and then go from there.:)

The biggest thing I've seen with tuna's is they forget the basics and go right into trying to figure out what isn't even a factor yet. Basics first and then go from there. :)

Hell ya !!!! #1 pet peeve that pisses me off to know end. Then guys on here will direct them to try this an that an they do the opposite :mad:
....Cal is a riot at Buick events !!! I remember the last time we were @ BG.. He was running around (with laptop in hand) like a chicken with it's head cut off.. I have no idea how he does it.. I wouldn't be able to remember all the customers :D

I been the chip,translator,mod. ECM route...(Chips are generic,the Translator gives some adjustability ,Mod. ECM still has stock codes you Can't Change!) I added XFI an never looked back,Now my car's tuned for exactly what's into my car,( i have stock block an intake, an thats it). The XFI comes with full instructions an multiple basic charts to get a base line for what ever combination you have. XFI also offers a Class for tuning the XFI (I'm going to catch it one these times down here in Orlando,FL at the convention center) , I've used Cal twice now,two different motors,(Looong story can read on my profile). That man can plug-in a lap-top, you make One run an he can tell you in an instantly what the "Bug" is. Second run ,your all tuned all ready for anything, Third run it's the Boost Up" hehehe Run.....I denied Cal of that last time because was still iffy on the build. Now as of Today my car almost complete again, Virgin Block rebuild,full paint job,an i added traction control an 2.0 update to the XFI. I've talked to Cal an will try my best to have him there for the first start up. If there's no bug's it's a straight drive to neer by dyno for 22-23psi/93-alky run's.

A Proper Tune to me having the Best possible tune for the motor/driveline combination at hand.

Enjoy!

Wow! All I can say is THANK YOU to everyone for the kind words. I have been spread real thin lately with some new endeavors, so haven't been able to spend as much time here on the board as I would like to.
I have to agree with Dan and Charlie- It starts with the basics. With the Buick motors being so sensitive to timing, I can't believe how many owners have never verified their timing and fuel pressure. Nearly anyone can do wide open tuning. It's the startup, and AE fueling that give most people problems. On the aftermarkets, having a good startup tune is critical. Thanks again!

I must say I am always at a loss when guys are willing to spend all kinds of money on parts, willing to do labor but will will not tune thier car. Even with a simple extender or TurboTweak chip they call us about their problem and I explain they have to add some fuel or adjust timing and they don't want to do it. With Translators, Chips, XFI and Big Stuff 3 there is a system that will get the most out of the combo. Between this board and our support board there is always a place to go and get help. There is guys like Cal and others who are willing to come to visit you (for a price of course) ther is just no excuse to not have a properly tuned car.

I've always liked tinkering and taking my time. I write software for a living, so I'm not intimidated by a bunch of cells and how it all works. I'd say tuning a Buick with a TT/powerlogger chip with only 8 cells is a piece of cake. If I had XFI though I would definitely have Cal tune it to save time. A few weeks ago my buddy and I tuned my 2010 GMC Sierra 5.3L VVT with HPTuners. It was quite a challenge to smooth it out and get no knock at all finding the limits of pump gas on the 5.3L 6spd. It took us all day, and the wife was like WTF are you doing?! But we tuned for a smooth MAF table and then focused on timing adjustments and firming the trans shift up. Tuning is the same as always, stick a good wideband on it and tune for no KR. Tuning my C5 Z06 on HPtuners was easy back in the day compared to the truck with its newer computer.

I am lucky enough to have people in my area that are good tuners. I have learned and listened a lot over the years from them. Years ago I started doing my own tuning and took the time to learn. Hundreds of passes down the track and even more data logs. When the car can go down the track with zero correction and the spark plugs after a run look dead on a text book picture, the tune is right. There isn't too much black magic to tuning IMO....just practice and learn the system you have. I learned on my old accel dfi, just switched over to the Holley system and a whole new power plant. I look forward to figuring out what this thing is going to like. I've been researching a bunch on car forums of similar combos and what their numbers are as well as talking to local people with similar combos.
Eventually you will learn what is safe and on the edge for your combo.

So what are the options for a for a poor working guy in the Toronto area to get his car "tuned"?

I'm in the same boat as the original post. I really dislike trusting others to work on my car. When I got it running, and with almost all the body panels removed from the car, I decided to take it to Otto's for dyno tuning. Having Bison as friend helped push me into this decision.

I know what some people think, that the dyno is not like the track, or another one is that people say we don't race dyno's. All I can say is the two full days of working out electrical problems and identifying weeknesses in the turbo and fuel pump put me about 4 years ahead of schedule compared to just going to the track. Not to mention having someone who knows where the boundries are for timing and fuel managment.

As an example, After being away from the track for 10 years and within 4 passes, I made it into the 8's on conservative tune.

Allan G.

Ive helped run Richard Clarks dyno several times and Cals skils blows me away....even though you guys on fast are a league away, im paying attention because I hope im at that level one day....

Thanks Gary! You will be there before you know it. The tuning at Richard's is usually just quick WOT stuff. For most race cars, verifying the timing and getting it to zero correction at "full boogie" is all that is important. At Richard's, we don't have nearly the time that I devote to a customer who brings me in. I spend a minimum of 1 1/2 hours per car during a tuning session. This includes cold start, warm up, idle, cruise/drivability and WOT tuning. This is one of the reasons I like to keep it around 5 cars/day when I'm brought in.

So what are the options for a for a poor working guy in the Toronto area to get his car "tuned"?

One option is to get together a few friends and schedule someone to come in. Another option is to attend an event where tuning is available. Remote tuning is also an option, but you won't get as good of results. The last option would be to bring the car to a shop to be tuned

My favorite.. 91 MM ball bearing turbo, Stainless steel headers, Carillo rods, JE pistons, Kryptonite crank, tool steel rings, Dart Block, Pro heads, Solid roller cam, etc..

Blow through carb ... priceless o_O