priming up oil pump

fastgn

need help in priming up new oil pump,and motor thats been sitting. and also installed a seperate oil cooler. i tried using an attachment on a drill and pulled cam sensor out, but still no pressure thru guage. dont know if im spinning in rite direction. drill was spinning freeley and know you can feel a very slight resistance when spinning. dont know if pressure is starting to build up, or if something is about to come apart. help

My Buddy just went through this last night . We ended up taking apart the pump on the car carefully packing it with vasoline and putting it back togther . Fired car up and oil psi came up in about 3-4 seconds max .

turning your screwdriver clockwise will run the oil through the engine in the proper direction.
If you turned it the other way, then maybe you ran all the oil out of the pump?
If you didn't pack the pump with vasoline, then I would use the procedure listed on the link below:
I would recommend you shim the oil pump clearance also to get the best oil pressure.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/PRIMING.html

I have NEVER needed to pack an oil pump to get it to prime. Clockwise. Make sure the gears are not dry. As long as there is some oil it will prime or something is wrong.

Go to the junk yard and get a distributor off an old buick. Gut it. Throw away everything but the shaft/gear assembly. (unless you've got another gm and then you might want to keep the ignition stuff) Grind down the gear and clean everything off and presto, you have an oil pump priming tool.