To Prime or Not To Prime

crvogt

Hi folks,
My car's been sitting without oil for a couple of weeks after changing the headgaskets. I don't know at what point the oil pump loses prime and if it would be worth spinning the pump when I fill the car back up. I also have a new turbo, so my intuition says better safe than sorry, make sure everything is well-oiled. I've never messed with the cam sensor, so that makes me a little nervous. Any advice would be appricated.

TL;DR - Car's sat without oil, should I prime/run the pump?

If you don't want to mess with the cam sensor you could always disable the ECM (unplug its connector by the battery) and crank the engine over without fuel and spark. If you have an oil pressure gauge you should see oil pressure come up. Don't crank for extended amounts of time or the starter can be over heated. This process can be repeated with starter cool down time figured in.

This is very simple to do and if you don't see the oil pump prime you can take it to the next step and remove the cam sensor and prime that way.

Hi folks,
My car's been sitting without oil for a couple of weeks after changing the headgaskets. I don't know at what point the oil pump loses prime and if it would be worth spinning the pump when I fill the car back up. I also have a new turbo, so my intuition says better safe than sorry, make sure everything is well-oiled. I've never messed with the cam sensor, so that makes me a little nervous. Any advice would be appricated.

TL;DR - Car's sat without oil, should I prime/run the pump?
Leave the cam sensor alone.
You dont need to prime it
Hasn't sat that long and the motor wasnt disassembled and cleaned or rebuilt.
We only prime when the motor has been rebuilt or a fresh build or has been sitting for a very long time.
In your case that's nothing.
Put it back together and send it😉
Look for oil pressure should come right up.

If your name is John, and you live in NJ. PRIME THE ENGINE like I told you! if you are someone else........Its your engine and your option.

:)

Leave the cam sensor alone.
You dont need to prime it
Hasn't sat that long and the motor wasnt disassembled and cleaned or rebuilt.
We only prime when the motor has been rebuilt or a fresh build or has been sitting for a very long time.
In your case that's nothing.
Put it back together and send it😉
Look for oil pressure should come right up.
Thanks! Did what you said, looks fine. Just fixing a few bugs in the system now.