Precision cooling line question

1 quik6

I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and order a turbo. I guess I'm still not completely set on the 6162 or the 6765 but I'm going to have to make my decision pretty soon and just not look back.

Anyways, I got a custom polished turbo cover from my wife for a christmas present 3 years ago. She is quite proud of her gift (don't get me wrong I like it too) and she really doesn't care what mods I make to the car as long as I don't loose my shiney tubo cover and waste all of her thought and research she put into finding it. I think it is a pretty fair request.

So will my shiney turbo cover fit over either of these turbos? I don't mind making some slight modifications to the cover (as long as it doesn't look totally hacked up). The cover fit just like the stock turbo shield but is a bit longer on the downpipe side.

My brother thought the turbo cover would fit except for the water cooler lines. He wasn't sure if I should be ordering the Precision water line kit, custom make some from scratch, or try to be creative with modifying the turbo cover.

Brian suggested I post a thread here for Patrick to respond but if anybody else has experience with this too I'd love to hear from you. Especially if you have pictures :D !

Thanks!

Here's the kicker.
If you run PTEs oil feed line and your shield is designed to work with the factory question mark shaped, heat shield bracket, you will have to cut a slot into the top of the heat shield. When their oil feed line for DBB turbos is installed, it sits too high for the shield to fit down flush onto the question mark bracket.

See pics.

DSC00604.jpg

7-22-07305.jpg

You will also need to cut the back portion of the heat shield so that the water lines can route properly back to the hard line connection points.
See pics.

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Patrick

So I was worried about the water lines and what I really should have been concerned about was the oil lines, right? Is there an easy way around this problem? I was thinking about instead of using those hard metal lines the possibility of using some custom braided stainless lines. Problem is, with the lines going into the top of the turbo it still wouldn't really work because the lines couldn't really just lay on the turbo underneith the cover or they'd get too hot.

Hmmm. I really don't mind the notch on the back of the turbo shield for the water lines, nobody would ever see it. But do you have any suggestions on how to avoid cutting that long whole in the top? Is the location of that oil feed line on all precision turbos? What would I have to switch to in order to use my turbo cover?

Thankyou very much for the pictures. That is a huge help! Brian knew you'd have all the answers;)

Eric

You do not need to use their oil feed kit. I used a 90 degree fitting attached to a premade 24" braided Stainless hose. The turbo cover will clear the 90 degree fitting.

I don't recommend a 90* oil feed fitting.

The problem with running a 90* fitting in place of the silver fitting that PTE gives with all their DBB (dual ball bearing) turbos is this,

That special straight -4 adapter fitting that comes pre-installed on the turbo, has a restrictor inside of it. If you replace this fitting with a simple reverse taper flair to -4 90* fitting, you will flood the chra with too much oil and the turbo will leak oil both into the engine and into the turbine housing / downpipe. Sure, you could probably weld up a 90* adapter fitting and drill out the hole to the proper diameter, but that's not the answer either IMHO.

The Garrett DBB chras do not need as much oil as the standard journal bearing turbos do. Also, they do not have oil seals like the journal bearing turbo do and are susceptible to oil leaks when flooded with too much oil, especially under WOT. To my knowledge, no one currently makes a 90* restrictor fitting that will work with Garretts DBB chras, nor will rotating the chra fix the issue either. This is why you see alot of the dbb cars not run a heat shield, or else notch the shield. It's a real PITA if you ask me but I'm living with it.

Patrick

That special straight -4 adapter fitting that comes pre-installed on the turbo, has a restrictor inside of it.

Patrick

You never fail to provide some great information. I'm sure some guys would swap out that oil fitting for more turbo shield clearance without giving it a second thought.

Might wanna look at some journal bearing turbos if you want to keep that pretty turbo shield. ;)

I did not replace the oil restrictor fitting with a 90. I used a -4 90 degree fitting attached to the oil restrictor fitting. It clears (barely) the turbocover.

cork,
Your setup should work just fine. I was worried that you did away with the silver restrictor fitting. My bad.

When I did mine, I was worried about clearance issues with a 90* hose end, in relation to the heat shield. I'd keep an eye on it over time for chaffing issues.
Anytime guys.

Patrick

I did not replace the oil restrictor fitting with a 90. I used a -4 90 degree fitting attached to the oil restrictor fitting. It clears (barely) the turbocover.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will give that a shot! Man it is going to be a long wait till April (when the car comes out of storage). My goal is to have the car burning rubber with the new turbo by the middle of may.:D

I just found out that precision has all the parts in stock to build my turbo. I want to get the cover polished and I understand that takes a while. As soon as I get the turbo I'll take some pictures and I'll be showing it to everybody!!:biggrin:

Thanks again for the help!