Precision 6766 billet journal bearing

cuda6pak

Will a PTC 9.5"NL 3200 be enough converter to spool this turbo up fast? Was originally set on a dbb but saving $900 makes more sense if I can spool it fairly quick. Also, is the journal bearing version of this turbo actually the older 6765? Hartline and Full Throttle seem to have it listed like this when you configure the 6766 this way...

It is my understanding when the 66 wheel came out, they quit selling the 65.... Even the people that ordered a 6765 were getting the 66 wheel after they came out.... I believe it to make nearly the same power as the large shaft 6768 turbo as well....

IMHO, the 3200 is probably a little low on the stall for the 6766 JB, but you wong know unless you try it.....

I'm about to try it the same turbo on a O pump vigilante which I think is only a 3200 stall.....so we will see how slow she spools up....

.63 or .85 exhaust housing?
I have a 67/65 with a .85 housing and it spools just fine im my opinion
just looked at one of my xfi data logs went from -0.5 psi to 15 psi in 3.7 seconds on the 'brake just holding it WOT
-Dan

I have a 6765 with the .85 exhaust housing, hits 1 # of boost at 2600 RPM with a stroker motor and a PTC N/L 9.5" 17 blade converter. The setup hits very hard on the street, and will spool very easily at the track.

I have a 67/65 with a .85 housing and it spools just fine im my opinion
just looked at one of my xfi data logs went from -0.5 psi to 15 psi in 3.7 seconds on the 'brake just holding it WOT
-Dan
Thats not fast imo.

I agree, I've got logs where I went from 0 to 20 psi in .6 - .8 seconds on a 45a (66 journal) on a 9/11 3000 stall converter that actually stalled at 2600-2800 at 0 psi.
Can you post any of those? Or two screen shots with boost, rpm, mph, and iat at zero then 20psi?

I agree, I've got logs where I went from 0 to 20 psi in .6 - .8 seconds on a 45a (66 journal) on a 9/11 3000 stall converter that actually stalled at 2600-2800 at 0 psi.

Ok then help me out cause i had a te45a as well and this is much faster but not that fast wow that would be nice...XFI car so what should a tweak for faster spool...timing fuel both?
The class I race is heads up and pro tree on a 275 radial(max)
If I had gotten to 15psi faster( and actually left on time) I would have won this race (he spun for a sec)

-Dan

As requested, this was 2psi footbrake launch. It was a 1.57 60 ft last year at BG I think. Interestingly, I never paid much attention to the RPM in my logs, but my RPM was actually stalling at 3100 in this log at 2 psi. The time diff from each frame was .685 seconds from 2 psi to 20 psi.

96mlwqy

I'm running a small cam, stock headers, and been tinkering on this car since 2000. I'm also at sea level. When I lived in Colorado, I had a 3-4 second spoolup on the same converter and turbo. DA's really hurt, but once you get going its almost just as strong at sealevel as 5800 ft up.

How about 0-15 in about a half second while staging as the tree is coming down, then launch and the boost goes up another 15 in 3 tenths of a second? All of this taking place in about a second and a half.

Will a PTC 9.5"NL 3200 be enough converter to spool this turbo up fast? Was originally set on a dbb but saving $900 makes more sense if I can spool it fairly quick. Also, is the journal bearing version of this turbo actually the older 6765? Hartline and Full Throttle seem to have it listed like this when you configure the 6766 this way...

If I were you I'd use a 3400-3600 stall converter. Dusty can make you one. Anything less than that you wont be happy with the street driving characteristics. I have had that Turbo on a 8.5:1 stock stroke 109 with a roller cam, ported irons and a 18 blade PTC.

How about 0-15 in about a half second while staging as the tree is coming down, then launch and the boost goes up another 15 in 3 tenths of a second? All of this taking place in about a second and a half.

That should do it! :D

I'm sure the stroker helps out a bit over my combo :p

If I were you I'd use a 3400-3600 stall converter. Dusty can make you one. Anything less than that you wont be happy with the street driving characteristics. I have had that Turbo on a 8.5:1 stock stroke 109 with a roller cam, ported irons and a 18 blade PTC.
I may just bite the bullet and go with a DBB instead of pulling the converter and sending it back for a re-stall. Hopefully hitting BG up on Saturday for T&T during the GS nats so we will see what the old Tnetics 66 will do...

Any help?

Check your wastegate, could be bleeding off boost or not closing fully. The RJC manual boost controller works well to help with that on a THDP style setup. I'm running a 15# spring in an external 39 Precision wastegate I got from Hartline. Also check the logs on A/F when building boost, it may be too rich or lean. I'm running a converter that is supposed to be too small for my turbo, but with the right tune and adjustment to the wastegate it can spool quite well. I'm running more cubes than most though too.

Cuda,

Any of the 66/67mm turbos (w/a .63 housing) you mention, along with your 18-blade & your approx. 9.0:1 static compression engine will be just fine. I have one here now with a very similar 235" @ 9.0:1 214/214 billet cam, 17-blade, PTE 6768(HPQ w/.63) that spools instantly & couples extremely well...

We're leaving Wed. for B.G. see you there....

K.