PPG Primer

Red T: awsome links great pricing all of us are not sheep I've never been a follower I have always looked at result and your seem to be super,

I recommended dlp90 because I am a little old school, only in what my friends who paint everything from high dollar daily drivers "vettes, merc, bmw" to a couple who paint race cars all the way up to nascar rides for a living

when I started my restoration from the ground up it was and has been to go to metal since laq /paint checking go's all the way into the metal surface which most amature like myself don't know

First all my bare metal was painted with acid etching primer 3m padded then shot dlp90 results was even better than hoped clean and layed out smooth as a baby's butt the nexted stage was blocking then to paint with 2K then block again

The point is I've tried to research as much as possible and when it comes time to layout the base coat I 'am always looking for advice and tips
and from what I see you have a lot of both to offer to included the great links hope you are there when I start the nexted stage of work

I'am all about result not a brand thanks for the information we will all use what ever info we get

I haven't used DP90 for quite some time, but I recall it was good stuff. I mentined above I purchased some Eastwood epoxy primer, a gallon and gallon, and it reminded me very much of the days when I used PPG. You mention others who do hi-end work, and their choice of these hi-dollar paints. Hey, why not? They're not paying for them. Their customers are. But if these painters get stuck in the idea that these brands are the only one's to use, that's their problem. As far as when to spray color over the epoxy primer, I don't wait very long. I spray it, wait about a half hour and then have at it. :D

Red Regal T brings up many good points.

I've always been a PPG sprayer, I've also used Sikkens, Martin Senour, Valspar, DuPont, Transtar...all have their pros/cons.

As far as the Epoxy subject, you will not find a better substrate to put under a paint job. This is the most durable/corrosion resistant primer/sealer.

When I stripped my Regal down to bare metal, I used Omni MP170 which is pretty much PPG DP90LF (I've asked our paint rep about it, and have mixed it w/ omni and PPG hardners, works the same) at a fraction of the price.

One major pro is the adhesion, and the ability to apply body filler directly over the Epoxy w/out sanding it. Try it once, spray some epoxy, let it dry a day, and apply some body filler and try to pick it off....not gonna happen.

Of course there is a window as to how long you can do this, and I also put a good 180 scratch in it prior to filler just in case.

I use alot of Omni, for the money vs DBC, or global..pretty good paint.

the Omni MP270 is a VERY durable clear, and is CLEAR not some yellowish cast to it like other cheaper clears..

One big thing to take into consideration is solid content in a clear. When I did my Buick it was done in a tri-coat. I used Transtar Primer and sealer because the PPG alternative was WAY over priced...transtar makes some damn nice products. Here are the layers:

-Omni mp170 epoxy
-Transtar quick prime primer surfacer
-Transtar Quick seal White
-PPG DBC White
-PPG Global White Platinum Pearl Mid Coat
-PPG Global 893 Performance clear.

The global 893 and 894 are a very high solid content clear coat, compared to the Omni, or nason clears. This will provide greater UV ressistance and greater durability. also Very expensive. (didn't cost me anything, thank you PPG Rep!)

Has been painted since last October, and looks exactly the same as when I got done polishing it, no shrinking or "dye back"

do your research, alot of good products out there that wont break the bank :cool:

That's SLICK! :cool:

Yeah, it is slick...beautiful job there!!

And John, from the looks of your cars, they are beautiful...can't get over how great your paint job came out...you are definately a professional!!!

I can only dream of doing a fantastic job like that. I've always loved your Red Regal (red's my favorite color and it looks GREAT on yours) but seeing your black GN and the job you did....whew.....I'm just thankful I can marginally paint with SEM TRIM BLACK....:rolleyes:

You just do great work as a painter, John....one can only stand back, admire and be envious.:) What a pro you are! Envy, envy, envy! (and jealous)

I just finished painting my replacement tail light trim with the Sem Trim Black, but....forgot to wash it real well after sanding it down......after the first and second coat, I had so many "fisheyes" that I had to go buy a 50 gallon aquarium!:eek:

So, I sanded down the whole thing again, then washed it off with soap and water real well, then blow dried it off, let the trim get to 70 degrees...then shot three coats...came out great...except for one little fisheye.....well, I'm still glad I've got that aquarium.....:rolleyes:

Nice job on painting, John.:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

dont worry about any orange peel...it'll sand rite out to a show finish!!!!

Yeah, it is slick...beautiful job there!!

And John, from the looks of your cars, they are beautiful...can't get over how great your paint job came out...you are definately a professional!!!

I can only dream of doing a fantastic job like that. I've always loved your Red Regal (red's my favorite color and it looks GREAT on yours) but seeing your black GN and the job you did....whew.....I'm just thankful I can marginally paint with SEM TRIM BLACK....:rolleyes:

You just do great work as a painter, John....one can only stand back, admire and be envious.:) What a pro you are! Envy, envy, envy! (and jealous)

I just finished painting my replacement tail light trim with the Sem Trim Black, but....forgot to wash it real well after sanding it down......after the first and second coat, I had so many "fisheyes" that I had to go buy a 50 gallon aquarium!:eek:

So, I sanded down the whole thing again, then washed it off with soap and water real well, then blow dried it off, let the trim get to 70 degrees...then shot three coats...came out great...except for one little fisheye.....well, I'm still glad I've got that aquarium.....:rolleyes:

Nice job on painting, John.:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks Bruce ... that's very kind of you. However, like you with the fisheyes, I am having my own share of problems and frustrations through my own mistakes, and minor problems I encountered with the paint I'm using on my latest project. Mistakes means, do what every you screwed up over, till it's right. I'll be happy when I'm done with the overall paintwork and can continue V6-ing my El Camino.

Red T know you never almost never show off your work how about some pic of new project what went wrong with new paint its the stuff you link earlier right l
like to see some pic's I need all the samples and help I can get

Red T know you never almost never show off your work how about some pic of new project what went wrong with new paint its the stuff you link earlier right l
like to see some pic's I need all the samples and help I can get

The problem I had is that, in the course of changing over the drive train, doing bodywork, I painted a few parts, both doors, and a fender, then I got involved with installing the engine, wiring, and other things pertaining to the project. I didn't paint any panels again, the other fender for about five weeks. In the interim, the hardener/activator that I had opened, had refrigerated, started to have an issue: freckles/nibs all over the panel. The problem was, I didn't know exactly what the problem was, and had to track down the problem. I did call Trinity, the paint manufacturer. They don't have any tech, but in good faith, they did send me a gallon of clear and quart of activator without charge.

I've been meaning to take some pictures of where I'm at on this thing. Maybe today. ;) By the way, what is your project, and what color have you decided to paint it?