power plate...poll

Do not use the plate with the hemco. That thing dumps air straight down to the intake. The stock dog house does not, there for is aided by the power plate.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have one on my car and been asking my self the same thing.
i would add another question
How many high 10 second and faster cars with the OE intake and dog house are currently using a PP?
I ran 11.0 @122 with stock throttle body, plenum w/pp. I know et is not 10 but trap speed is about 10 sec.

"Why is everyone removing them? "
Because it took time but slowly and surely, people are beginning to realize that they're just another useless gimmick even if some guys have some elaborate theory about their supposed benefits. :rolleyes: They're supposed to equalize air flow in the engine...yeah sure but it also restricts the quantity of air going into the engine. Also, look at the size of the openings in that thing and look at it any way you want, but there can't be as much air coming in as in an open plenum.
They might help on a normally aspirated engine, but not in an engine into which incoming air is pressurized.

Claude. :)

The engine can only flow as much air as the weakest choke point.

A larger 62mm throttlebody is 1.16 square inches minus the shaft and blade. How many sq inches are open to the intake on the power plate?

The engine can only flow as much air as the weakest choke point.

A larger 62mm throttlebody is 1.16 square inches minus the shaft and blade. How many sq inches are open to the intake on the power plate?

Put the bong down, and do the math, again!:D:p

Mabe they should change the name to the EVEN flow plate instead of power plate..;)

Geez, how easy people forget the past!! I wish I could dig up all the old flow data that was taken back just after the release of the power plate. There's been so much mis information and speculation flying around in this thread as to be laughable. Many of the self professed experts posting here probably weren't even members when the flow tests were done and results posted.
Oh, and yes I'm a power plate user, based solely on flow data posted way back when. Problem is I lost so much data during my last laptop crash, I can no longer find the links.
Generally speaking, for the doubters, IT IS NOT a restriction.
It was not designed to be run in all out race cars, but rather to help mild to moderately modified drivers.

I remember the data and the photos of RJC flow testing them. I'm old.

I have one on my stock plenum/TB and champ ported intake. My goal is mid 10s Should I keep it on? I've never ran this new motor without it.

I have one on my stock plenum/TB and champ ported intake. My goal is mid 10s Should I keep it on? I've never ran this new motor without it.

I run 122 with pp, stock plenum/tb on 18-19 psi. Doesnt seem to be holding me back. However for shiys and giggles next time out at the track im going to make one run with it and another without so i can see for myself if its a restriction or not!

If you really want to get rid of a restriction, get rid of all those little bitty holes that the intercooler is 'restricting' your flow path with!

</sarcasm>

I say pull it. All the money GM spent developing the top end do you think they'd let it go if it caused cylinder lean out?

These engines are notorious for leaning the rear two cylinders. 27 years of trying to prolong life and produce better power have proven it. I have never heard of any issue with any other cylinders leaning out in stock form.

I disagree with this. All the evidence (egt readings, melted cylinders, hammered bearings on those holes, melted plugs) indicates that the front of the engine is leaner than the rear. We aren't talking stock form either, we are trying to get as much mass flow through the engine we can.

And I'm sure at 12psi it's not much of a difference that would cause a warranty concern.

And I'm sure at 12psi it's not much of a difference that would cause a warranty concern.
Manage by the data. The folks who rebuild these engines see a lot of air/fuel distibution issues.1) The LC2 intake system exists because it had to package under the hoodline and the budget for the intercooled Regal was minimal to be generous.2) The air/fuel tables were sufficient to cover the cylinder air distribution imbalance of the stock engine. As torque (chamber pressure) increases the knock tendancy increases. We had at least one engine on schedule where 20+ psi boost was part of a "saw tooth" schedule (like peak torque to peak horsepower) but dedicated thermocouples feeding back to the engine controls (6 one cylinder engines vs one 6 cylinder engine) to create the base air/fuel & spark maps. The "experts" will subtly suggest that you not race a serious engine with the power plate. There were folks running stock shortblocks into the 10's with external "sequential" (6, 1 cylinder engines) which will offset (to some degree) the cylinder to cylinder air distribution concerns. I don't like this idea but I have seen it work.