Possible mods for a stock car trying to stay close to stock.

Beach

My car is a stock 87, I've had it 2 years & want more power but still want it to be reliable & close to stock. I'm thinkkng larger fuel pump w/hotwire kit, 60lb injectors, and turbo tweak chip. Any suggestions are appreciated

Depends how stock you want it to look. Basics would be a fuel pump with hotwire, injectors, adjustable fuel regulator, TT chip, RJC power plate, adjustable waste gate actuator, and drop in K&N filter. If you don't mind things not looking 100% stock you can add an LT1/LS1 MAF with pipe & translator, & duttneck for the intercooler. Could also do a 3in downpipe & test pipe, and some kind of cat back exhaust but would be harder to put back to stock.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the MAF, I don't mind some non stock appearance. I just didn't want to go wild. My main thing is keeping the car reliable (as can be) because I enjoy driving it. Sounds like I have a long list of parts to buy. The car has an ATI exhaust system on it & a magnaflow hiflow cat (which I was told to remove)

Definitely do the pump, hotwire, and adjustable fuel regulator. 60s are overkill unless you want it in the 11s. Have turbotweak burn you a chip for your injectors. I agree with everything Undercover87T said, and yes, delete the cat.

I've had it 2 years & want more power but still want it to be reliable & close to stock. I'm thinkkng larger fuel pump w/hotwire kit, 60lb injectors, and turbo tweak chip.
to make more power you must raise the boost and you will need octane in the form of alky or race gas.the trans will need at least a shift kit and a cooler.i would leave the stock exhaust and gut the cat or run a dump tube that with a sticky tire and a good tune will transform the entire car.

For a stock looking 3" down pipe that still fits under the turbo shield without cutting, the Bowling Green Cutoms is a nice option, although no longer made, there are some for sale.
When you get to the point of a larger turbo the TA49 or the updated TA58 (by full throttle) are some nice options. These use an inlet bell (adapter) from the turbo to the inlet hose. Most turbos have a flange built in to them for the air inlet hose to attach.
There is really a lot you can do as the average joe can't tell the difference.
The first few shows I took mine to a when I got mine (ordered it in '86) everyone said "I thought these were twin turbo", and that's an option as well. Depends on who you want to fool.

Most people don't know/remember what stock looked like. Mine is a gnx clone. Seems a lot of folks like my car but nobody even questions the fender vents or flares. They know its a gn but that's it.

My car is a stock 87, I've had it 2 years & want more power but still want it to be reliable & close to stock. I'm thinkkng larger fuel pump w/hotwire kit, 60lb injectors, and turbo tweak chip. Any suggestions are appreciated

your biggest challenge is FUEL .. this dictates how much power you can make ... Race fuel or E85 or ALKY

Biggest bang for the buck is E85 conversion or an ALKY Control kit ...

12.20's are no problem for a stock appearing E85 car

Air filter, gutted cat or test pipe and exhaust, fuel pump, hotwire, regulator, TT chip and 16 to 18psi boost, depending on octane available and what the car can handle for no detonation. A down pipe will do nothing at this level. This will run low 13s.

Air filter, gutted cat or test pipe and exhaust, fuel pump, hotwire, regulator, TT chip and 16 to 18psi boost, depending on octane available and what the car can handle for no detonation. A down pipe will do nothing at this level. This will run low 13s.
^^^this. If you have 100 octane unleaded near you at the pump you can have a chip burned for this and have solid mid 12 sec power with almost no downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^this. If you have 100 octane unleaded near you at the pump you can have a chip burned for this and have solid mid 12 sec power with almost no downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good as we get here is 93, looks like I'll have a slightly modded look. Which is fine, now I just have a lot of parts to buy.

I only know of 1 or 2 stations that sell e85 in the city. But now I'm starting to wonder. A few mods & convert the fuel system for e85 & my car can hit the low 12's! SWEET!!!

I only know of 1 or 2 stations that sell e85 in the city. But now I'm starting to wonder. A few mods & convert the fuel system for e85 & my car can hit the low 12's! SWEET!!!

It is without question the BIGGEST BANG for the buck on a Turbo Buick ... the rest is childs play if you are forced to use 93

There is a big big difference running a Turbo Buick @ 24 psi and increased timing and running 93 @ 16-17 psi and low timing .

Fuel is everything with these cars .. you won't be sorry