87GN Stock Throttle Body Question

Mike Swentzel

My question is I would like to upgrade my stock throttle body to a Accufab 65mm but don't really know if it would be beneficial. I own a garage queen with the usual bolt on's. Stock turbo, stock ic w/duttneck, stock plenum &tb w/ power plate, 93 chip w/ 36lb blue tops, Ta headers, Atr 3" cutback system, and Art Carr did my tranny, and hot wire kit. I should of had Steve Monroe Port my stock Plenum &TB yrs ago but blew that now. Is going to a Accubfab 65mm beneficial for me or should I stay stock? I'm never gonna go to the track. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You won't go any faster...but throttle response SHOULD be crisper. I used the Steve Monroe TB and it was like apples to oranges.

Scooby if I decide to go with the 65mm tb should I then upgrade to a PTE 65 Plenum too or should I stay stock Plenum with the new 65mm tb?

I recall a post either here or on FB, that someone else was going to start boring the OEM TB like Steve offered.

I don't recall who though. Sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in with better info.

Scooby if I decide to go with the 65mm tb should I then upgrade to a PTE 65 Plenum too or should I stay stock Plenum with the new 65mm tb?
Steve's TB was a reworked stocker, so it fit with the stock doghouse. Wait for others to chime in if it fits the stock dog house or requires the 65mm doghouse.

I upgraded mine last year to an Accufab Polished 65mm and a Polished Precision Plenum and saw no Benefit at all.Just looks nice when you Pop the Hood.I was gonna have Steve do my old set up but he had Retired already.

Attachments

• ED47422A-D10E-4BFE-BFF0-6430FD7E2B6C.jpeg
    ED47422A-D10E-4BFE-BFF0-6430FD7E2B6C.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 91
  • B0D34C77-0255-491F-BA4C-4185B03C0F8C.jpeg
    B0D34C77-0255-491F-BA4C-4185B03C0F8C.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for everyone chimming in, I think I might stay with the stock tb until someone could bore my stocker. Or until I wanna a little bling under the hood. Thanks fellas 👍

Remove egr boss in doghouse at least and blend in the throttle body opening to doghouse. Port intake and remove egr boss and either plug the hole, or at least disconnect egr vacuum hose. That will give you a bunch more HP than a throttlebody upgrade. Use the power plate.
TIMINATOR

Thanks for everyone chimming in, I think I might stay with the stock tb until someone could bore my stocker. Or until I wanna a little bling under the hood. Thanks fellas 👍
Late to the party, but I will add something for those that come afterwards:

Unless you've done something (a lot) with the heads, valves, and cam, a larger throttle body will not help you. The throttle doesn't become a restriction until the the engine can consume more air than the throttle can flow. That's not going to happen until you've gone through the engine. It requires larger valves, higher lift, more duration, much better head flow, and more peak RPM.

The throttle response feedback is understandable. What a larger throttle body will do is make the engine seem more responsive, because the change in airflow happens more rapidly compared to a stock throttle with the same pedal ratio. But here's where it falls flat: if the engine can't consume the air the throttle can flow, it won't. That means it'll feel super responsive because 0% throttle to 30% throttle encompasses 100% of the range of air the engine can eat. The remaining 70% of throttle input will do nothing further.

^^^^^^ TRUE STORY!
My reply only makes sense if you really want it faster, not just meaningless, expensive bling.
TIMINATOR

I don't plan on doing anything to the heads, valves, or cam. I would also save my $ on a larger tb and put it to port my intake and remove the egr boss. Thanks guy's for your knowledge.

I really like the billet look. At one time somebody made a 65mm billet throttle body, but couldn’t find it when I was ready to purchase. I haven’t seen it since so I had Steve do my stocker.
I decided to go with the precision plenum and power plate because of the slightly better air distribution over the stocker. This route made sense to me when purchasing flow matched injectors.
A word of caution: the Precision plenum is 5/8” taller than stock to clear a 4” MAF pipe so it’s very close to the hood liner. Notice the slim vac block. I had the plenum machined to tip the TB down and to tip the plenum forward. Then Cruze comes out with the angled spacer. ARGH!! Lol
I got the cast version and had it powder coated anodized aluminum w/ clear along with the valve covers for a stock look, only better.

DF73031D-90E8-46D2-A762-72B8137AF807.jpeg

130C090F-B6F6-4C81-AD2A-EC79E0FD875A.jpeg

My question is I would like to upgrade my stock throttle body to a Accufab 65mm but don't really know if it would be beneficial. I own a garage queen with the usual bolt on's. Stock turbo, stock ic w/duttneck, stock plenum &tb w/ power plate, 93 chip w/ 36lb blue tops, Ta headers, Atr 3" cutback system, and Art Carr did my tranny, and hot wire kit. I should of had Steve Monroe Port my stock Plenum &TB yrs ago but blew that now. Is going to a Accubfab 65mm beneficial for me or should I stay stock? I'm never gonna go to the track. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Leave the stock throttle body alone.
0 gains with your mods.

Steve did a lot of TB back in the day. Im not sure how much demand there is today for them. I can't believe RC garage has not jumped in.
20 years ago I did one for my 4.0 jeep, and I have considered now that im retired to get a bench lathe. More to it than punching out the bore.
Shaft seals bushings and throttle plats ,media blasting I would need a few cores. But OE need to be freshened up with just the shaft and seal leaking problem with their age.
I can see people like OP looking at the 65mm just to freshen up the potential shaft leak.