Ported/Polished GN Throttle Body Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDC

BDC Motorsports
Howdy guys, I'm looking for two guinea pigs for testing my ported & polished throttle bodies. I'd like to break into the GN/Turbo Regal market and I need two guys from here that'd be willing to allow me to modify theirs at a vast discount ($50). I need some feedback (be it positive, neutral, or negative) with respect to the modification so I can figure out if it's worth doing on these cars or not.

I've already spoken to Razor and he's told me that you guys have a guy that does some CNC machine work on the stock body by placing in a larger diameter butterfly in an oversized bore. My job doesn't involve anything like that although it may compliment it from a performance standpoint. What I do on these bodies is port them, add a velocity stack at the inlet, and polish them to a partial mirror finish. On every other vehicle make/model I've done this on it's produced the same types of results (quicker throttle response, better low-end and mid-range torque, much more aggressive boost threshold) albeit to different degrees depending upon the vehicle type and other modifications. I'm curious to see what it'll do for you guys and whether or not it's something that's efficacious.

If anybody's interested, please let me know. Shoot me a PM here or an email at bdc@bdcmotorsports.com. You can visit my site and see some of the throttle body work I do here:

Thanks,

B

We do have a guy, but he disappeared and won't answer emails. I've emailed him MILLIONS of time, and not a 1 single response. So I will assume he's gone.
though, there is already a company that offers a bigger TB/plenum combination already. (precision) Though, I still continually hear, that if you're not faster than 9 seconds, it's a absolute waste of time and money. My buddy's been 9.8 on a stock tb.. so... I'm not sure how much business you'll get.
Just a insight.

We do have a guy, but he disappeared and won't answer emails. I've emailed him MILLIONS of time, and not a 1 single response. So I will assume he's gone.

Might be the same guy Julio told me about a few months ago; older gentleman that did some CNC work, right? Widening the throttle bore and replaced the butterfly with a slightly wider one?

though, there is already a company that offers a bigger TB/plenum combination already. (precision) Though, I still continually hear, that if you're not faster than 9 seconds, it's a absolute waste of time and money. My buddy's been 9.8 on a stock tb.. so... I'm not sure how much business you'll get.
Just a insight.

I think on most stock cars, unless it can be proven efficacious (say on a highly modified setup), going to a larger diameter body isn't a good idea. I know it follows a certain philosophy of car modifications (bigger is better) but I don't buy it. The idea behind the enhancement I do is based on velocity tuning: specifically with a factory throttle body I make it more efficient by trying to keep the air velocity high as it flows through it. I've been doing thi same mod for about 7 years primarily on Mazdas and more recently switched over to different cars. So far I've seen the exact same results. So, I'm looking for one of you guys that's possibly got a car down that wouldn't mind having one done and posting some results after-the-fact. I'll post a photo of an example of what a single bore unit looks like.

B

main.php

It would make a difference, on a vacuum car, not a forced induction car. Or so I have been told by a reputable board memeber here. He was talking about how even though noone can put a finger on it, tests have shown, that N/A cars net more of a gain by enlarging and/or smoothing out their TB's, than forced induction cars do. Do a search to see if you can find it.

It would make a difference, on a vacuum car, not a forced induction car. Or so I have been told by a reputable board memeber here. He was talking about how even though noone can put a finger on it, tests have shown, that N/A cars net more of a gain by enlarging and/or smoothing out their TB's, than forced induction cars do. Do a search to see if you can find it.

I've done them on forced induction cars and it most definitely would yield a gain by way of a more aggressive boost threshold. Everything else remaining the same, it will hit your target boost earlier in the RPM band and quicker. Aside from the other effects that are noticed on an N/A car, this one's the biggie for a boosted setup. It works. That's the main reason why I'm anxious to try it out with a couple of you guys in this community.

B

I like his work as well.. but then again, I also read the article (it was really old) in a popular hotrod mag (i forget which) where they were souping up an 87 TR, and the one mod that hurt their performance, was a ported throttle body....

I like his work as well.. but then again, I also read the article (it was really old) in a popular hotrod mag (i forget which) where they were souping up an 87 TR, and the one mod that hurt their performance, was a ported throttle body....

I honestly don't know how or why that'd be the case. Admittedly, I'm trying to sell my service so I'm already bent in the direction of trying to promote the positives, but in the last several years I've been doing this mod I've not one time heard of a negative effect. Other than having to re-calibrate the off-throttle position on one car w/ a drive-by-wire throttle, the actual modification itself hasn't produced any undesirable effects on any cars and that's per customer feedback. From a performance standpoint, I think the only thing it can do is produce beneficial results. It's not a humongous modification that requires hacking the entire engine bay up and re-doing a bunch of components; it's something pretty simple and almost always bolt-on. I'll bet that it'll add a good chunk of "zip" to you guys' GN's and make the turbo setups hit harder.

B

There is some value to your work on the TB, but to say that TR's will gain boost threshold (more boost on pump gas?) and hit harder goes against years of guys putting bigger tb's on their cars and seeing no changes/gains. The gains haven't proven to be measureable at least in low 10 second cars and slower.

So, the negative in all of this is that your labor isn't free - it costs $.

Throttle

Just putting my 2 cents in.I CNC MY THROTTLE BODY TO 63MM JUST SO U KNOW ONLY GO TO 62MM OR U WILL GO THROUGH THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY.I DID APOXI WERE I WENT THROUGH.LOOKS LIKE EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK I AM GOING TO CNC MY THROTTLE PLATE NEXT WEEK.ALSO I CNC THE PLENM TO 65MM AND IT LOOKS GREAT ALONG WITH POLISHING IT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE DO IT YOUR SELFERS:smile:

There is some value to your work on the TB, but to say that TR's will gain boost threshold (more boost on pump gas?) and hit harder goes against years of guys putting bigger tb's on their cars and seeing no changes/gains. The gains haven't proven to be measureable at least in low 10 second cars and slower.

It's not a larger throttle, though. It's a more efficient throttle. I don't bank on the idea that "bigger is better" when it comes to intake tuning of any kind. Without know more of the history of what you guys have done with larger throttles, I would agree that there'd be little to really gain out of it unless it's a very high power setup that demands a larger throttle bore because the stock one is just plain too skinny. What I do is make the factory one better. Albeit to different degrees depending upon the vehicle, it has worked on every single one of them and it has produced the exact same effects. And, on the turbocharged ones, it will yield a more aggressive boost threshold meaning you'll hit a target boost level (ex. say you're wanting to run 1bar of boost: all else remaining equal, you'll hit it sooner in the power band, making the car quicker and yielding more mid-range torque).

So, the negative in all of this is that your labor isn't free - it costs $.

I don't do work for free. Something has to pay for my overhead. :)

B

Not being mean but this is unsoliceted (sp) advertising. I think you're about to be shut down because you aren't a sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.