Plugs? Proper Gap? Coil Pack?

If you keep the stock injectors, keep the stock regulator. If you change injectors get the adjustable regulator. if the stock injectors are clean a flow well, low 12s are no problem with them.

If you want to go 12s, get the car in good running form, take off the cat and put a dump pipe on, get some Drag radials, manual boost controller, and toss in 100 octane. It does not take much to get in the 12s. Figure 18lbs of boost should do it. Depending on how the car launches will be a big factor in ET.

I ended up getting a killer deal on the 50s and turbo, so I went that route. My stock injectors were kind of crappy and I did not want to spend $100 to get them properly cleaned. I might have spent more than I needed, but now I know I can get into the 11's pretty easy. 12s are not that fast anymore. Gotta stay ahead of those LS1s. :)

The pump may be a pain to replace on these cars but if it takes a dump on you while running 20 psi hows your engine gonna feel? The pain to replace the stock pump now may be good insurance against you have sudden engine failure because of fuel pressure dropping out in the middle of a pass.

I always thought if the pump totally failed, the engine just shuts down. I thought it was worse if you had a double pumper and one pump went out because the car would still run and it would be lean.

Not necessarily. All you need is one drop of fuel and it will still combust. If the pump fails there will still be fuel in the lines. See my point??

Jason

Man is the fuel pump on this car a BZ!!! I mean its not a lot of work to get to the tank and putting it back together is a breeze but getting the tank out is a major pain in the ass! I did make things harder for myself by leaving the rear end in place lowered right to the point of not pulling or stretching on the brake lines. I had to bend my filler neck on the tank just to get it out :mad:

Then again im glad i pulled into my driveway of all places, and when i went to start it i had no fuel preassure

HOFSGNX said:
Did I miss it, but did you indicate getting or passing on the Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator for a basic basic get into the 12's on street tires set-up?

hmmm wifes new car in 89 3-4 days old ... 300 miles on it ..chip, K&N, dump pipe, and M&H dots 12.5's @105-106 .. damm that was fun .. did a few tweaks with the stock parts and an ART CARR shift kit an ran 11.9s @114-115 :eek: :biggrin:
Doin fuel pumps suck even with a lift BUT well worth it in my old opinion .. :cool:

I agree the pump is a safe mod. If I can con one of my friends with a lift to put it in, I will. :biggrin: Until then, I am keeping a close eye on my ScanTools. So far so good. :)

Quiky One said:
Not necessarily. All you need is one drop of fuel and it will still combust. If the pump fails there will still be fuel in the lines. See my point??

Jason

Maybe, I have talked toa few guys with low 10 and 9 second cars. They say they run one big single pump instead of the double pumper because if the one big pump fails, the engine stops or will only lean out for a short time. If one pump on the double pumper does not turn on, it leans out and keeps running. Which causes bigger problems.

I agree with everyone a pump is a good thing to do. That was the first mod on my GN. But so far the stock TTA pump has been perfect for my goals. I will upgrade it someday. I will need to bribe one of my friends with a lift with lots of food and beer. :biggrin:

TTA fuel pump replacement

Just finished replacing mine. I installed a hotwire kit also. The factory pump still worked fine. Yes, the job was not as easy as replacing the pump on a Turbo Buick but I think it was worth the effort. Getting the filler neck out and back in place is the problem. I did use a lift and can not see doing it laying on my back. I think it is cheap insurance and I would much rather replace a fuel pump than a head gasket. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sweet6 said:
Maybe, I have talked toa few guys with low 10 and 9 second cars. They say they run one big single pump instead of the double pumper because if the one big pump fails, the engine stops or will only lean out for a short time. If one pump on the double pumper does not turn on, it leans out and keeps running. Which causes bigger problems.

The pump doesnt quit.. just doesnt provide sufficient volume. If you play with leaning out the motor, I will guarantee a blown head gasket.

Perfect example, take the hose of your fuel pressure regulator and put the car to 25 PSI.. I dont care if you have 116 octane fuel..

Its only 18 years old.. :redface:

Chip & Scanmaster

Good points guys.

Any good places to go for a chip with the following set - up:

Test Pipe (no dump), Exposed Air Filter, Adjustable Boost (expected to go to 18 - 20 psi), possibly 50 lb Injectors (or should I go smaller with stock fuel pump?).

Also, how about a good reference to purchase a Scanmaster and how hard is it to hookup - tips/instructions?

Thanks!

With those mods stock injectors are fine. But if the injectors are trashed 50s would be a good route to take. It will work with what you have and give you room to grow. I did the same thing. I did not want to throw $100 at getting stock injectors cleaned. I picked up a new set of 50s for $250.

I love my Max Effort chip . But may be more than you want to get into. Any of the big chip makers can make you a nice chip. Joe Lubrant, TurboTweak, and Red Armstrong are a few.

I highly recomend an open dump with a stock cat back. My car picks up 2.5 - 3 tenths with the dump open.

See my new time in sig. I think the only thing I have over what you want to do is a GT3255 turbo. Which is a little bigger than stock.I am probably not seeing much gain from the turbo yet since I am only running 20-21lbs right now.

I would get a chip from Eric at turbotweak.com. My car runs great with it. I have only had good luck with him. Also I would buy the scanmaster from Mike at fullthrottlespeed.com. On his ebay store you can usually pick them up for a little cheaper. His online store is the lowest also. I would upgrade the stock injectors to the 50's or 60's. It doesnt matter how big the pump is for the injectors. If the pump can only run so much psi, then the injectors wont be at full capacity.

HTH Jason

Exposed Air Filter

Great advice guys. How about exposed air filters kits? What do ya think?

Just stick a K&N on the end of your hose. Or you could get a aluminum MAF tube from Grumpy for bling :p

I have a set of 50#s for sale for $250 shipped if your interested .. Melissa went 11.4s @ 118+ with them .. She is moving up the food chain :rolleyes: :p

Did not understand your post - I like the idea of an aluminum MAF tube with the exposed air filter on the end but grumpy/bling?

P.S. used 50lbers for $250 - how about $125 as they are going for around $250 new from Precision

Grumpy on this thread makes a nice aluminum MAF pipe that goes in place of the stock tubing. I was just saying that in case you wanted a better look than the stock MAF tubing. Plus the stock piece can get holes in it.

But the stock piece works fine. Just depends on your likes and what you want to spend.

Aluminum MAF pipe and 50lb injectors

Grumpy, do you have pics of your MAF pipe? Would you like to do a package deal with the 50lb Injectors? Let me know - Thanks.

HOFSGNX said:
Grumpy, do you have pics of your MAF pipe? Would you like to do a package deal with the 50lb Injectors? Let me know - Thanks.

ummm for $125 for 50's I would throw them in the trash :p if I don't sell them she can still push them a lot more :cool: .. all the MAF pipe is is a solid pipe instead of the corragated stuff .. prob make one for cheap $$$ with home AC alum fittings from Home Depot :biggrin: