Plugs? Proper Gap? Coil Pack?

HOFSGNX

Putting in new plugs this morning, did a search and it looks like the consensus for a car planning to run no more than 20 pounds of boost would be to use AC Delco R42LTS Spark Plugs gapped at .035 - Does this sound right? By the way, I will change the wires also.

Also, would it be necessary to change the coil pack on a car with 8,000 miles on it?

Quick reply is appreciated as always, you guys are great!

thats it for the plugs .. ohm the coil pack out .. I wouldn't just throw parts at the car :cool:

You can Ohm it like Grumpy said

FWIW I usually notice the car runs smoother with a new coil pack. Even when swapping out a low mile one. My cars sit a lot. They are relatively cheap anyway.

Coil Pack

May be a dumb question but the coil pack is a solid pack not individual right?

Yes, solid pack. Full Throttle sells a Hi Output one. Not sure if it is any better than a pure stocker. But the price is about the same as a stocker.

Piece of cake. Just remember there is a bolt in the back of the coil. I think www.gnttype.org has instructions on it if you want to look at it. But it is pretty straight forward. Probably take 20 minutes for a first timer.

Tune-up done, now into the 12's basically unmodified

Got the coil pack in (tougher job than expected - had to take the whole module off and pulling the wires off the terminals without snapping them was tough, they were on there tight!) along with the wires and plugs, fuel filter and the whole car seems to respond better - which was already pretty good. KYB Shocks and Struts are in too.

Next is some type of "turbo controller", chip, and exposed airfilter. Goal is to get into the 12's on street tires basically unmodified - stock fuel pump. Do you think the stock one can provide enough fuel if I put in an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and 38 lb injectors and run 20 lbs of boost - any advice here?

Sweet6 said:
You can Ohm it like Grumpy said

FWIW I usually notice the car runs smoother with a new coil pack. Even when swapping out a low mile one. My cars sit a lot. They are relatively cheap anyway.
My cars run better after I change the oil....I think there is some psychology at work here ;)

HOFSGNX said:
Got the coil pack in (tougher job than expected - had to take the whole module off and pulling the wires off the terminals without snapping them was tough, they were on there tight!) along with the wires and plugs, fuel filter and the whole car seems to respond better - which was already pretty good. KYB Shocks and Struts are in too.

Next is some type of "turbo controller", chip, and exposed airfilter. Goal is to get into the 12's on street tires basically unmodified - stock fuel pump. Do you think the stock one can provide enough fuel if I put in an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and 38 lb injectors and run 20 lbs of boost - any advice here?
Keep the stock regulator, buy a modern chip burned for your combination. Buy an Alchy kit, new fuel pump and RJC boost controller for your next level. Use dielectric grease on the spark plug wires, on both ends. :smile:

P.S. Get an audible knock detector o n there and take your foot out if it sings. That stock fuel pump is OK, but at 17 years old, it could quit anytime.

Lee_Burough said:
My cars run better after I change the oil....I think there is some psychology at work here ;)

Maybe but the car is more responsive. :) Probably a waste of $50 on a coil pack. But I have noticed less misfires at higher boost levels. I guess it is kind of like replacing a fuel pump that works perfectly fine.

Lee_Burough said:

And ya know...I have noticed that my car always runs better after I wash and wax it! :D I know it is a smart ass comment...but I couldn't resist.

I replaced the coil pack on my TTA in 1998 with an High Output unit from ESP. I really didn't notice any difference, but figured it couldn't hurt.

Bigger injectors stock Fuel Pump

I have heard that the Bigger Fuel Pump replacement is a real BEAR on this car. Will the stocker feed enough to a modest upgrade in Fuel Injector size without having to do the adjustable regulator as well. Where should I get the chip? Am I realistic in thinking I can get into the 12's with street tires and these modest "stock appearing" upgrades?

It may not be recommended, but I ran an 11.99 @ 112 mph with the stock fuel pump and fuel injectors. The other mods at the time were a Caspers 7 postion chip, test pipe, bleed valve to set boost levels, a Volt Booster and VP racing fuel. It was probably on the ragged edge for supplying fuel to the motor. The fuel pump swap is pain, but well worth the effort.

Once I was able to turn a 12.86 at 104, with just an ATR Pitbull chip, 1 can of Super 104+ in the tank on the stock tires. It was a day that there was great traction, but most of the time with the aforementioned mods the ET's were low 13's.

The Fuel Pump is a MF'er on the TTA. That is why I did not change mine. I upgraded to 50lb injectors and the car has had plenty of fuel for 111MPH in the quarter so far. My goal is high 11's so I am pretty much right there on the stock pump. If for some reason it is conveinient for me to do the pump, I will. The pump is cheap, but it is a major job even on a lift.

Where did you get the injectors and who did the chip or did you get more of a generic that covers your set-up?

Initial plans : Test Pipe, Injectors (50lb?), Possibly an Exposed air filter, Adjustable Boost (RJC or similar), race fuel all on stock tires.

Any other easy stock appearing bolt on no brainer upgrades?

Keep an eye on the board for used 50s. But I have seen them new for $250 before. But that was a great deal. Figure $300 is the norm for 50s. Precision Turbo had a deal on them for a while. You could try them.

I have a Turbo Tweak chip and a Max Effort chip. I like the Max Effort better since it is more adjustable, but it also cost $350 compared to $75 for the Turbo Tweak. Both guys are great to work with.

I think a great combo for a TTA is 50lb inj, TE44,TA49, GT32 turbo, open dump pipe in place of cat, good chip, Alky kit, and drag radials is a great and simple receipe for the TTA or GN. Along with the other basic upgrades(K&N, AFPR, etc)The car will be solidly in the 11's while still being basically stock.

Did I miss it, but did you indicate getting or passing on the Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator for a basic basic get into the 12's on street tires set-up?