Plug Heat Range on E85

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
After installing my TA Eliminator heads, I decided to get me some plugs. TA's website suggests the NGK 5671A
I went with -9 heat range to be on the safe side for now, but my question is....How many people actually like this heat range for all around performance and racing?

Ya, I'm either tuning WOT or at the track...lol this may be a good heat range for me tho. I would swap to 7 or 8 if I were cruising for sure. 8 may be pushing it on the street or idling. I'll try em and see what happens

I have around 800 street miles on a set of 8's so far this season. Haven't looked at them but they're running fine. Idle is 12:1 gas scale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 244
That was a concern from the get go. I wondered if I went with non resistor plugs, that they might interfere with the CPU. Have you personally seen this happen Eric? Or are we being cautious?

After searching all over the internet. I cannot find a resistor type plug for the TA heads. Seems like the Autolites are non-resistor style too when cross referenced.

I've had at least a dozen people over the last year that had to switch due to crashing the ECM at high RPM. But, there are some guys that do ok. It just depends on the car and if the interference makes its way to any computer controlled things (ECM, aftermarket ignition, etc).

These plugs, I believe, should work on TA heads, and are resistor type:
High dollar race plugs
NGK 4892 (R7434-8 non-projected)
NGK 4889 (R7433-8 projected)

Standard plug
NGK 2330 (BCPR6ES projected plug)

I would use the 2330 and see how it goes.

I tend to use the NGK UR6 (NGK 7773), but I think your AR133 are colder. I'd have to search a little to find the NGK part# for a colder UR6.
There's also the Autolite AR25, which is a race plug with a resistor, but it's still not as cold as your AR133's.

I tend to use the NGK UR6 (NGK 7773), but I think your AR133 are colder. I'd have to search a little to find the NGK part# for a colder UR6.
There's also the Autolite AR25, which is a race plug with a resistor, but it's still not as cold as your AR133's.

It looks like the non projected race plugs that i find are not a resistor plug. I can use a ur6. Just like the non projected plug better.

I've had at least a dozen people over the last year that had to switch due to crashing the ECM at high RPM. But, there are some guys that do ok. It just depends on the car and if the interference makes its way to any computer controlled things (ECM, aftermarket ignition, etc).

These plugs, I believe, should work on TA heads, and are resistor type:
High dollar race plugs
NGK 4892 (R7434-8 non-projected)
NGK 4889 (R7433-8 projected)

Standard plug
NGK 2330 (BCPR6ES projected plug)

I would use the 2330 and see how it goes.

I dont know if im experiencing these symptoms, but I am getting 15 deg of KR and sputtering on an initial hit. My SM will flake out and not record KR or mv after a run.
Now, if I ease into boost, the car runs good at WOT, but my SM still flakes. I never had a problem before.
Could this be a sign of the problem people were having?

My race car and street car both have TA heads and over 600 HP on e-85, and for a couple years I have used NGK 5820 and NGK 5238 plugs with no issues, and both are running a FAST XFI?

Race car has a distributor and a TR6 is on the street car.

Well, I guess I was getting spark blow out. I regapped the plugs to .22-.23 and ran a few passes with no breaking up.
SM still flakes out tho. And chasing the false KR should be fun.
Car is in full extension all through 3rd gear. Kinda scary when the front end slams back down over 100mph.

Steve (Beatav8) and I are going to retune this thing tho. Its gonna take some time, but well worth it in the end. Gonna start that process tomorrow.

My race car and street car both have TA heads and over 600 HP on e-85, and for a couple years I have used NGK 5820 and NGK 5238 plugs with no issues, and both are running a FAST XFI?

Race car has a distributor and a TR6 is on the street car.

What do you recommend for a hot air running e85?