proper plugs for a stroker with GN1 heads and E85, 160s

GinoRin

Guys, need a little help picking out the proper spark plugs for my new engine and combo.

Its a forged stroker setup with PTE 6768GTQ HP Billet BB turbo
Champion GN1 heads (unported, just gasket match) Champion race intake
E85 Racetronix double pumper and -8/-6 teflon line kit (Anyone have pics of how they ran lines and mounted filter?)
car will have an XFI and flex fuel sensor
small roller cam, i think a 212/212
all the other normal crap, front mount, etc.

It seems some folks are running NGK, some autolite. I'll plan to try both out, but I'd like to hear from some of you with similar combos as far as heat range etc. Keep in mind this is an entirely new engine and I've never run an
IMG_1410[1].JPG
E85 setup so I just need a good baseline plug to get it running and dialed in. Appreciate your help! Attached is a pic of the new combo going together...just for fun :)

Thanks in advance!!!

The 32 is colder. It is a good track plug. I run them out of the box. They are gapped tight out of the box. I check them before installing them. I usually gap e85 plugs to .020 to .025.

NGK 5430 BCR8ES is what I finally settled on after trying the autolites and various NGK's. It's gasketed so it wont mess up your aluminum head threads. It's a resistor type plug so it won't interfere with your EFI (uncommon with this kind of plug). And it has the right heat range and non projected tip for E85 and BOOST.
Its cheap and Rock Auto carries it, but it's a Japanese / European spark plug so the shipping is a killer. Usually have to ship it in from the UK. Just buy more to make it worthwhile.

I have run both Autolite and NGK plugs for a few years, and here is my opinion on what I have experienced.

On initial start up you do NOT want a cold plug, especially with e-85. The NGK 5820 is way too cold in most cases with e-85, and the coldest I have run in both my e-85 race and street cars is the NGK 5238.

I have used Autolite plugs for years on the street and strip, and the AR 3932 is too cold for street use with e-85. They were fine when I was running on 116 octane race gas.

No matter which plug I used in the race car, they would last 3 times as long with e-85 than with race gas.

As you know, plug heat range should be determined upon the type of fuel as well as a specific boost level.

You need to be able to read your plugs to determine which is best for your specific engine build as well the desired performance level and driving conditions.

Many performance build owners depend on data logs only when tuning, and do not understand how important the additional information can be by just "reading" their spark plugs as well! :)

There is lots of good info in this thread, but it will ultimately YOU that makes the final determination for the plug choice and tuning parameters.

Like Nick said, the plugs last longer as far as fouling, but the Autolite racing plugs wear the center electrode faster, and might be an issue with a "weaker" ignition. I run the 3932s on the street with no issues, but I have a very hot ignition. With race gas, we would have to switch to the 3933s for the street. Any of the above plugs will work.

These plugs are non resistor plugs. This can cause interference with your computer and/or Powerlogger. Many people in this community have experienced problems with non resistor plugs,including myself. If the plugs are the cause,your engine or Powerlogger will do something it has never done before and it will return to normal when resistor plugs are re-installed.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I am going to try a NGK heat range 8 resistor type plug and go from there. The 5430 Steve D. mentioned seems to be the best all around plug, even if they are a bit spendy. Thank you for the recommendations! Rockauto doesnt seem to carry them any more but they seem to be available from European sellers on Ebay. I'll report back in a couple months when I have the car running :)

I also have a stroker 109 with GN1 aluminum heads on E85. Currently I'm still using the old Autolite 103's gapped at .030" and haven't had any issues. However, I'm sure there's better stuff out there. Can someone advise how the Autolite heat range compares to the NGK values? Is the 3 more comparable to a 8 or 9 in NGK?

Then there's the different styles. Let's look at the NGK BR9 list for example, in order of cost:
BR9ES - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-5722/overview/
BR9ECS - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-4677/overview/
BR9EYA - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-7679/overview/
BR9EG - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ngk-3230/overview/

Why not try something like the EYA?

So, is the consensus that on E85 a NGK heat range 8 is the best place to start? What if you're only in the 20-25 psi boost range? Also seems that people like gasketed plugs more than tapered. With NGK 13/16" wrench size seems very common. Do those fit in our heads?

So, is the consensus that on E85 a NGK heat range 8 is the best place to start? What if you're only in the 20-25 psi boost range? Also seems that people like gasketed plugs more than tapered. With NGK 13/16" wrench size seems very common. Do those fit in our heads?

Saw your post and wanted to ask where you got your conversion kit? We have almost the identical set up and I am ready to convert to E85. I have a billet 67/68 jb, 218/218, champion race intake, ported aluminum gn1, and all the other normal crap. Done with pump gas unless I plan to take a long road trip...which is highly unlikely.
Thanks
Brent