Plug Gap running over 20 PSI?

Orion231

Ok guys, I have the dual nozzle SMC alky kit, and I run the CR43TS what plug gap should I try? Its on 0.35 right now...maybe goto 0.30? How much horsepower can u loos eif you don't have the plugs gapped right? I run 22-24 PSI on the street with pump gas and rubbing alky. :D

Check post

I read that post it does it apply to my mods? I mean dual alky kit... and 24 PSI boost? What gaps should I try and how do u tell if your gap is too little or too less?:confused:

I switched to the NGK UR5's about 5 months ago and they were gapped at a tight 35. With that gap anything over 20psi it would break up, the spark was getting blown out. Pulled them and re-gapped to a very tight 31 and now it's fine. I run 23psi on the street with my dual kit and this works fine. Just for $hits and giggles I may tighten them to a tight 30 and see what it does.
HTH

Donnie

Gapping...

Ok, now that I am going to play around with gapping mine, how do you tune for gap? As in how can u tell if the gap gets better? Just more response...?:confused:

Well, it's not really tuning for gap, it's more like making sure that the boost doesn't blow it out. Ususally plugs at 30 to a real tight 32 do fine, but like everything else it can vary from car to car.

Donnie

Ok because right now when the boost first omes on, it is kinda sluggish then it picks up, I was wondering about that...it isn't REAL sluggish just kinda...how much are NGKs and where do I get them at? I run a CR43TS how do they compare to those?

NGK's are only $1.99 each. I think they are a better plug and some would agree with me, but some like the AC plugs too. You almost have try them for yourself...but I think you'll like 'em:D

If your car is a little sluggish, have you checked for driver side header cracks or leaks? If they're the stock headers, they are cracked...trust me!! Even if they're the ATR ones, they can crack too. Either way that could make it a little sluggish i.e- slow to build boost.

Donnie

My gap is at .0345" which is a tight .035" with the AC43's.

I can run 24-25psi. with no problems with alky.

I doubt your sluggishness is a gap problem.

Sluggish

I rebuilt the motor and tranny last year and the rear end this year, so everythign has been gone through, it is prolly a little turbo lag, I'm just not used to it with this bigger turbo because my stocker would boost with ease, and the 51 wants a bit more throttle, after the boost comes up, the car has no problems, it hauls ass.:D

I assume you don't have the 3K stall converter right?

I don't either but it doesn't bother me too much.

The maxeffort chip has good spoolup code in it. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
My gap is at .0345" which is a tight .035" with the AC43's.

I can run 24-25psi. with no problems with alky.

I doubt your sluggishness is a gap problem.

how much timing?

I run 20* timing on the street. High boost low timing.

At the track just used a mix of 94 and 100 with alky. and 24-25 psi. and got the timing to 26*.

1640 EGT's were high enough with 3*KR.

24* timing worked great with that fuel mix. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6
I run 20* timing on the street. High boost low timing.

At the track just used a mix of 94 and 100 with alky. and 24-25 psi. and got the timing to 26*.

1640 EGT's were high enough with 3*KR.

24* timing worked great with that fuel mix. :)

kewl,just wondering.when i first got mine up and running i left the timing at 18* and cranked the boost up to ~24.no problems.then i decided to up the timing to 24*(16 pos maxeffort)and see what would happen.it started to pop at ~22psi.no kr,it was blowing the spark out.i closed the gap down to .032 and it got better,i closed them down to .030 today and it seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

i'll go beat on it some more tomorrow,then i'll be running it saturday at turbo thunder so i'll let you know:).

ngk ur5's btw.in an intercooled hotair:D.

later,sean

Fixed it!

The sluggish bog WAS the spark gap! I went to Autozone and my friend convinced me to get Autolites(colder heat range) and we gapped them at a VERY tight 0.35 when I took the old plugs out there were AC Delco CR43TS's, and were all gapped over 40 some odd, they are only 5 months old!!! :eek: Well we put the autolites in and the car feels STRONG! Pulls hard through all gears now, quick spool up, and LOVES alky! I am hooked on Autolites now! Can it get any better? :cool:

I would have cleaned the plugs and set the gap properly at .0345" and tossed the Autolites in the Fords parts drawer.

Yeah the BIG one. :D

Never had 6 plugs open up over .005" in 5 months, even with some detonation, richness, leanness..... :confused:

Spark gap

When I'm right...I'm right!!

You should'a tried the NGK's though...

Salvage, could those plugs comeout of the box with that high of gap?

Donnie

Sure they can come out of the box with a big gap. :(

Actually they come out of the boxes all over the place in gap.

That is why we gap the plugs at a tight .035 which is .0345. :)

He said in the first post that was where they were.

Obviously they weren't. :eek:

If the plugs started at .035 and ended up at .040 or larger I would check the gap and plugs frequently no matter who made them.

Gap....

I gapped the previous plugs before I installed them... Took them out yestarday night and low and behold they are differently gappped... Also my car seems to turn over a little slower...can plugs cause that? I have a new battery, starter, and alternator seems to be charging fine... :confused: