play loud speakers - recommendation

mark b

Any recommendation on something that will take 50-75wrms per channel, play decently loud (not blistering) and last?

I've had Alpine, Polk, Eclipse and probably few others I forget. The Alpines sounded great but the Eclipse's were the best - but I don't see them around anymore.

thanks in advance

Eclipse is still around. Out of what you listed they are the by far the best sounding to me.
Btw, what are your goals? Are you just trying to replace the factory speakers or going custom?

I ripped out the stockers long, long ago (like 1989?), went with 2 sets of amps, components in the doors and tweeters on the dash and 6x9's in the trunk. It's the 6/9's that I'm interested in. Also the door speakers too since I tend to cook them :)

I ripped out the stockers long, long ago (like 1989?), went with 2 sets of amps, components in the doors and tweeters on the dash and 6x9's in the trunk. It's the 6/9's that I'm interested in. Also the door speakers too since I tend to cook them :)

Most any quality brand should work fine. (Polk, Eclipse, RF, Kicker, MBQ, etc etc)The sound will be different to your ears than mine, so find what you like the sound of. What you are finding in "cooking" speakers is you tend to listen a little above designed distortion levels, and they are being damaged as a result....generally of heat damage or over excursion. Only in about 1/100 speakers will you find a speaker blown from too much power, its generally too little power + abuse w/ distortion and even installation issues not allowing full efficency of the driver. (Air leaks around mounting surface, no crossover to safe guard the drivers, and wiring issues).
I have been sponsored by manufacturers for over 10 years, and had full systems by Eclipse, Polk, and even MB Quart and I'll tell you in the end, its all about how you listen to music. If I was going to buy a 6x9 for a GN rear deck I'd consider if I have a sub woofer or not as part of the equation. Many 6x9s can fill in the bottom end, like Kickers old series F69 which is a free air 6x9 woofer and a tweeter. They are old school now, but are still a legendary performer. MB Quart would be my choice for a mid bass up driver in the same place....I actually have a set I use in one of my cars and love them...the reference series should do you well. Search E-bay for either of these at a deal. You may also consider coaxial speakers in door and dash to give you more volume than one set of components split, this will allow all speaker to be played at a lower volume and actually create more volume and extend their life.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Are you still looking for speakers? I have brand new POLK MOMO 5.25components I'm trying to get rid of. They are new in box, never used. I need the money to finish restoring my buick (bought these too soon). $140 shipped. The model number is mmc5250.

P1010007.jpg

Thanks for asking, actually I have Polk components in the front of my daily driver. I'm really looking at 6x9's for the rear deck.

hes right distortion blows the speaker before power.it all starts at the head unit.check your decks volt out put.might need a higher out put.cuzz your sending distortion past a certin volume limit.

Are you still looking for speakers? I have brand new POLK MOMO 5.25components I'm trying to get rid of. They are new in box, never used. I need the money to finish restoring my buick (bought these too soon). $140 shipped. The model number is mmc5250.

P1010007.jpg

Great speakers, very durable and abuse resistant...I most recently had a car full of Polk/Momo w/ nothing but smiles for miles.

Any recommendation on something that will take 50-75wrms per channel, play decently loud (not blistering) and last?

I've had Alpine, Polk, Eclipse and probably few others I forget. The Alpines sounded great but the Eclipse's were the best - but I don't see them around anymore.

thanks in advance

I have Diamond Audio( purchased from Ultimate Electronics) speakers with an Alpine 150 watt amp. The sound is incredible and I tend to listen at higher volumes. No issues at all with these speakers. I have the same setup in my truck as well. Very crisp highs and lows. I am pretty impressed with them.

Bryan

hey man.. what's the deal with that polk set up? Will it bolt right in?

Give me the details please.

thanks
j

hey man.. what's the deal with that polk set up? Will it bolt right in?

Give me the details please.

thanks
j

hey, sorry I sold the polks. If you have concert sound you need to cut out the backs of the plastic baskets in your door panels because any aftermarket speaker has a larger magnet. but I might have some new infinity 5020 5.25 components I might sell as well. I'm getting rid of all my audio to finish my car. I'd want $135 for those shipped. They are infinity reference. Let me know if you want those.