pinging under heavy acc

needforspeed

i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on my promblem,my car car idles and drives prefect BUT under heavy accleration the engine starts to ping and it starts to break up.I only use Sunnco Ultra 94 for fuel!Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!:confused:

what you are hearing is more than likely detonation. STOP DOING THE FULL THROTTLE THING UNTIL YOU KNOW!! How much boost are you running with that 94 octane? Do you have a scan tool?:confused:

How much boost is this at? ~15-16 lbs is a reasonable limit without a scanner. make sure fuel pressure is up to about 60 full throttle, and if not the fuel pump isn't keeping up... A scanner is good to read knock retard and O2 volts. They are really easy to get set up right with an OTC 4000e. Check the for sale section and see if you can make a deal on one.

no scan tool

i don't have a scan tool,dumb question maybe ,but how do you know how much boost are you running?i'm kinda new at this ,i only have had the car for a month,fuel pressure is set @ 42 psi at idle

Oh my, you DO need some guidance.

The very first thing you better do is go out and get yourself a decent aftermarket boost gauge. Please don't go blowing that thing up.

Spend a little time researching the archives here on this board. It will answer many of your questions. And keep your foot out of it until you understand what your are dealing with. If you are hearing audible knock (pinging), you are on dangerous ground.

N4S, everyone's a newbie once, and this board's about getting info, so don't worry about 'dumb' questions. Better to ask than to start blowing stuff up.
I ran without a scantool for the better part of a year, just keeping the car in the same tune as I bought it. I did have an aftermarket boost gauge though, which is absolutely a must with these cars. I will take some pictures today if you wanna see mine installed, it's one of the easier gauges to do. If you have those "boost gauge lights" (mine don't work) they're useless. Yellow will come on about 5 psi, and red at 10psi. After 10 psi (which is really not much) you're on your own. Definitely you want a gauge, first and foremost.
To reinforce what others are saying, if you are hearing audible pinging and knocking on 94 octane, you're pushing the envelope hard. I've had well north of 5° of knock and not heard squat. Please, for the sake of the car and your own wallet, stay out of it until you get this diagnosed.
First off, do you have an adjustable wastegate?? http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/Adj_wastegate.JPG
Under the turbo, check if your wastegate arm has a pipe coupler. If so, disconnect the arm from the pass. side and loosen it 4 or 5 turns, making the arm longer. This will lower the boost at WOT by 4 or 5 psi, which is what you need now by the sounds.
Once you get the gauge and wastegate figured out, don't run over 14 or 15 psi on 94 until you get a scantool. They're $200-$300 of the best dollars you'll ever spend on this car. I run DirectScan and that tool (combined with the tools on this board, hahaha :p ) are the things that have kept my car running strong. Take your time now, it'll be WAY worth it later! Good luck!
Feel free to email me, I'm like the veteran newbie on this board.

boost quest.

Thanks for the info,i'll check for the adjustable wastgate.I do have a boost gauge but it's not hooked up,until it is i'll take it easy....:cool:

Boost gauge
Scantool
Fuel Pressure gauge

Just some of the first things on your shopping list.

Simply remember the old phrase: "you've got to brace it, before you can race it."

Erik