KNOCK APPEARING/ POPPING SOUND

MONSTER GN

I have an 87, and my turbo doesn't seem to spool real well until about 3,000 rpm, this may be a separate issue but, when im boosting and its pulling I can see on my lil knock gauge the knock is creeping up, and today I heard some popping in the engine bay area when it did this, still seems to run ok, im just wondering what can cause this? I have a factory build minus the cam, and I have a turbo tweak chip to compensate for that cam. What can cause this issue? I have a new 255LPH Pump in there with the hot wire kit, so the fuel pressure should still be good. This problem was still here even when I put this pump in and the PSI was raising 1:1.
What can cause this issue? im almost at my witts end with this thing, I also feel like it doesn't boost like it really should I feel like the car should have a lot more than it does. It runs and drives great just doesn't seem to want to boost and when it does under heavy boost this problem occurs. Any input would be greatly appreciated

FIRST: STOP "boosting", or run the chance of blowing the damn thing up.
I see absolutely no info from a scan tool, data logger, gauges,etc.
No way you, [or anyone else], will accurately diagnose this, until you post some info...
Fuel psi "should be good". Is it?
What is "heavy boost"?

I don't have a scan master i got a snapon brick and a modis but havent used the modis. And when i say heavy boost i mean when it starts pulling good ill roll into the throttle even more and thats when i get this issue. My brick scanner doesnt show me knock retard or nething just sais yes or no so that doesnt help obviously and the fuel pressure is good because it was good when i installed the pump and got the turbo and i still had the same issue that im currently having

You joined in 08 and still don't have a scanmster? :banghead: how do you "know" the fuel pressure is good? Have you checked it with a guage to prove it's raising 1:1?

At the very least , your going to need a Scanmaster , fuel pressure gauge , & boost gauge . You'll be shooting in the dark without them & we won't be able to help much either .

You joined in 08 and still don't have a scanmster? :banghead: how do you "know" the fuel pressure is good? Have you checked it with a guage to prove it's raising 1:1?
didn't put the car on the road til this spring and yes I can confirm the pressure is raising 1:1, and I have the pressure set at 43 with my adjustable regulator and it goes up as it should when I pull the vacuum line off.

At the very least , your going to need a Scanmaster , fuel pressure gauge , & boost gauge . You'll be shooting in the dark without them & we won't be able to help much either .
I have a boost gauge and a pressure gauge but not a mounted one just one from my snap on guy which gets in the way

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com
Study this site. You need to understand how all the systems work properly. A stock turbo should spool fine. Either there is an exhaust leak, vacuum line,boost solenoid, boost actuator or it needs rebuilding. The knock can be one issue or 10 combined. Was it running 7 years ago? If not, why? Are you chasing someone else's hackery? A friend of mine has just got a car that was left out for 7 years with a bad tranny. We found at least a dozen things that were preventing the engine from running decent. After 4 months there's still issues but the list is shrinking. Good luck.

Last edited:
This is his next response: Engine is overheated, I think. [No gauge] Why is there a piece of metal sticking out under the head?"
The hang on gauges "get in the way".:rolleyes:

I'm done....

This is his next response: Engine is overheated, I think. [No gauge] Why is there a piece of metal sticking out under the head?"
The hang on gauges "get in the way".:rolleyes:

I'm done....
I have a in dash temp gauge thank you. As well as oil pressure too. Dang im comin up in the world huh?

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com
Study this site. You need to understand how all the systems work properly. A stock turbo should spool fine. Either there is an exhaust leak, vacuum line,boost solenoid, boost actuator or it needs rebuilding. The knock can be one issue or 10 combined. Was it running 7 years ago? If not, why? Are you chasing someone else's hackery? A friend of mine has just got a car that was left out for 7 years with a bad tranny. We found at least a dozen things that were preventing the engine from running decent. After 4 months there's still issues but the list is shrinking. Good luck.
I have never driven the car until this year, exhaust is sealed up, vacuum is sealed up, i have turbo in "tuner mode".

I once had an issue with popping under boost. I shortly got really good at changing head gaskets with the engine in the car. That was while I was learning how to tune. I did however, have the essentials: boost gauge, and a scan master. You could be experiencing anything from a bag ground issue, bad ignition module or coil, up to a blown head gasket. This list is so long of possibilities that we just need more info to help.

I think the sarcasm from the older guys is because everyone who is new to these cars don't take baby steps. They jump in head first, then wonder what's happening. Even sometimes going full out modified everything they can bolt on, and havin catastrophic failure VERY quickly.

What is "tuner mode"??????

I have never driven the car until this year, exhaust is sealed up, vacuum is sealed up, i have turbo in "tuner mode".
So why was the car put out of commission 7 years ago?

Have you pulled the valve covers to inspect the valve train? A broken rocker shaft, rocker, spring are all possibilities as well a weak springs, bent push rods, worn cam, lifters and timing chain.

I once had an issue with popping under boost. I shortly got really good at changing head gaskets with the engine in the car. That was while I was learning how to tune. I did however, have the essentials: boost gauge, and a scan master. You could be experiencing anything from a bag ground issue, bad ignition module or coil, up to a blown head gasket. This list is so long of possibilities that we just need more info to help.

I think the sarcasm from the older guys is because everyone who is new to these cars don't take baby steps. They jump in head first, then wonder what's happening. Even sometimes going full out modified everything they can bolt on, and havin catastrophic failure VERY quickly.

What is "tuner mode"??????
Tuner mode is running wastegate hose straight to compressor housing. And yes i did throw everything into this car without knowing nething but also when i was 16 so yhat was more than 10 years ago so i have taken alot of steps backwards unfortunately, im slowly learning these kwekry cars but the sarcasm fron ppl when im seeking wisdom is not that necessary