pics - SFC, wonderbar, and tweaked exhaust

j13smiley

as promised, here are the pics.

global west sfc and global west wonderbar (installed upside down)... we all know how tight the exhaust is on the passenger side. well mine rubbed the sfc, made some nice bangin noise so i had to get the exhaust adjusted a little bit. well i guess the weld on the stock flex pipe was cracked - they ended up just replacing it all... you can see in the pics.

here's the new exhaust (no cat)....
car_89_ta_exhaust-flex-cat.jpg

wonderbar installed...
car_89_wonderbar.jpg

sfc pics...
car_89_ta_sfc--driver.jpg

car_89_ta_sfc-exhaust.jpg

car_89_ta_sfc--passclearance.jpg

The Wonderbar interferes with the IC shroud, right? Is that why it was installed upside down?

pvt num 11 said:
The Wonderbar interferes with the IC shroud, right? Is that why it was installed upside down?

no one makes a tta specific wonderbar... but yes - the global west wonderbar will fit around the intercooler if installed upside down.

i know it's been hard to find pics of this, and people ask a lot about it so i made sure to take some pics. i think jan or some one from here posted pics of theirs on another forum.... i saved them on my site for reference as well....

89ttawonderbar.jpg

89ttawonderbar2.jpg

For the wonderbar seems like some had success using the Global West one, the pictures in the above post are from a friends TTA in Sweden and it fits but is tight. I was looking to have one made to fit in the same location as the GB one but not enough space at all on my TTA so had a custom one done with longer brackets bending down, I'll dig out some pictures and post them later.

Would it fit better if, say, one didn't have a shroud? :eek: Or how about modifying the stock shroud to fit the bar?

The shroud (IC duct) is the problem, and with the variations in productions I guss some TTA's have more rooms than others in that area for some reason. Not sure how you would modiy the shroud guess you could heat it and try to form it around the wonderbar ... personaly I would not do it. I say get the wonderbar from GW and if it fits fine if not it's only about $60 or so and you can sell it to any 3rd gen owner and get your $$ back.

pvt num 11 said:
Would it fit better if, say, one didn't have a shroud? :eek: Or how about modifying the stock shroud to fit the bar?

it's not that tight.... the pics look like it's touching, but it's not like it's squeezed in there. i have not read of anyone getting a GW bar and not having it fit backwards.

i don't think you'd want to modify the stock chroud for any reason. they are hard enough / expensive as it is ;) i have a new one in the basement "just in case someday"....

Wonderbar, SFC's, rear arms

Beerman an I bought the V-4 extended IC from Pearcy, and Frank installed his IC. He also had to do a little cutting to get the GW bar in.

I just tried to install that bar on my stock IC, and it was so tight that I figured I'll wait until I install the stretched IC.

Another option for U SoCal guys on the SFC's. A shop in Orange called "Fast Eddies" fabs their own SFC's custom for each car, probably cheaper than buying premade bars. On the exhaust side - I have the ATR exhaust - they curved it over the Cat Converter.

I also had them weld in the rear arm lowering brackets, so U can lower the rear arms for better traction. Seems to have helped, as these cars have little or no traction. Went w the new Curretrac lower arms w the swivel joint in the back that supposedly prevents the Poly binding.

Hey, I might spend it all before the kids get it !

So, is there a big difference in steering with the wonderbar installed? It's not an expensive part, but is it worth the install troubles?

no trouble to install... remove 4 bolts, put the bar in, replace the 4 bolts.

yea - that and sfc definatly will tighten up the car.

j13smiley said:
no trouble to install... remove 4 bolts, put the bar in, replace the 4 bolts.

yea - that and sfc definatly will tighten up the car.

I've got the same sfc that you have, but I'm thinking that the wonder bar would improve the steering response more like a vette (yeah, I know: apples and oranges).