Picking up an 8.5 rear this weekend...advice?

SSninja

I'm picking up a rear from an 85 GN this weekend for cheap $$.

The only problem is, it's an open rear :frown:

This is going in a street car which will probably never have more than 350 HP to the wheels (For now :wink: ), so can I keep the rear "stock", or should I invest in an aftermarket cover and stronger axles?

Also, what brand of limited slip would be the best bang for the buck?

street tires no problem with stock axles
you say 350 hp but Normal Aspirted 350 hp
just put a posi in it andd have fun

if you want mosers 28 sline axles are only about 225 a set direct from moser but i wouldnt think youll need them

for going to a posi , eaton is great (about 5 bills with bearings) contact gearsrus for good prices . install kits are all over ebay or just contact gearsrus direct ,if its a 3.42 and reusing ring and pinion gear get new bolts for the ring gear (usuall in the install kit)
if you decide on axles and going to eaton you can choose to upgrade to 30spline eaton and get 30 spline axles and cost should be about the same

bang for buck at our 350hp the stock 8.5 posi centers can be got from various gms with 8.5s (cars and trucks ) and a rebild kit is just over a hundred from gm . so you can usually do the posi for under 200 and know its tight
pre 90's gms were 28 spline so no axle change need , newer posi are 30 spline and some are eatons (dont get a gov loc ) . if you can find a 30 in a yard they are usually cheapbut require going to 30spline axles which might be a good choice depending on if goals change later

depending on if your goals change and if slicks and hard launches are in the cars future c-clip elims are available (moser and others) for about 160 a pair and although theres some work to install it can be done in an afternoon with a grinder and a drill when the time arises without any addition parts costs just the labor cost to press the bearings onto the axles